Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Chuck43
  • 1 Post By RustyIron
  • 1 Post By rlacrossjr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2017, 08:15 AM   #1

Wolff springs for Ultra Recoil Assembly

Hello,

I was wondering what people are getting for Round count before you change. Wolff only sells the inner and outer set, no outer packs like Kimber does.
I know per Kimber outer is 1,500 rounds and inner 5,000 rounds. I contact Wolff and that gave my this response.
""We don’t have or I should say we have not established a “round count” on when to change the recoil springs. We usually leave that up to the customer/shooter. You’ll start to feel the felt recoil a little more and your brass will start to fly out a lot farther than normal. When you start to notice that, we recommend replacing both springs since the inner and outer springs work in tandem and the ratings are based on both springs.

Regards,
John Andrews
Wolff Gunsprings"""
So feeling out here for what people are getting. Don't see any since in buying the Wolff version if you have to change the outer before the inner. Be worth it if Wolff inner and outer last 5,000 rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rlacrossjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-17-2017, 08:49 AM   #2
Super Moderator

I used to go by round count and never tried to out out guess the manufacturer of the gun. A while back I chose a safer path and invested in a recoil spring scale, in addition to recoil springs you can test firing pin and main springs. One of the best investments I've made considering the number of guns I own. Works with my .380, 9mm .45 and .460 caliber guns.

OLE442, RustyIron and JC45 like this.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:31 PM   #3

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
A while back I chose a safer path and invested in a recoil spring scale, in addition to recoil springs you can test firing pin and main springs. One of the best investments I've made considering the number of guns I own.

That's pretty cool. I don't know if I need one, but I saved the picture to my desktop, in case I get the urge to whip one out some Saturday morning.
Chuck43 likes this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2017, 04:23 PM   #4

So I broke down and bought the Secure Firearms Products 1911 Recoil Spring Tester. Brownells was back ordered. I did find it at https://www.dillonprecision.com, $40 but I guess it will pay for itself in couple years. Since I was replacing springs yearly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chuck43 likes this.
rlacrossjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 05:51 AM   #5
Super Moderator

I think you're going to find it to be a very handy tool. Most of my 1911's have WC flat wire recoil springs that have very long lives. Not that I don't trust Bill Wilson but I like to check them occasionally. I also like the fact that you can check the easily forgotten firing pin and mainsprings with it.