Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Gunsmith

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By The Tourist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2014, 12:44 AM   #1

Question Wolff - type c extra power springs for hardball & heavier loads

Hi All,
I just bought a Custom II TLE in 10mm. As a matter of course, I changed out the recoil & firing pin springs with a 20# set of wolff springs & put in a recoil buffer from Wilson. In looking over this site, it appears that my actions may have been unnecessary. Advice? comments? suggestions? This is my first Kimber & I'd hate to screw it up.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-07-2014, 01:53 AM   #2

IMO changing out parts on a new gun is unnecessary. Put the originals back in and shoot it a lot. If it does not perform the consist changing springs.

Sent from my Galactic Communicator using TapaTalk

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 02:04 AM   #3

Originally Posted by Insta-Gator View Post
IMO changing out parts on a new gun is unnecessary. Put the originals back in and shoot it a lot. If it does not perform the consist changing springs.
'Gator, I'm with you 95% of the way. I think a lot of modifications simply fall into the "boys and toys" category. But I do see limited use--that is, if the owner did his homework.

For example, the rear shocks on a Harley Sportster are the worst devices ever foisted onto the buying public. I yank them off and replace them with Progressives. I wonder if Chuck's comments fall into this realm.

I like my Kimber, and you're dead right about shooting it a lot. The more I shoot it, the better it runs. But I'm doing all of the simple stuff, too. I'm monitoring which magazines work the best, I'm looking for cleaner burning hardball rounds, and I'm cleaning, cleaning, cleaning.

Give me a clean pistol, decent loads and a carefully chosen magazine and my Kimber runs like a champ.

As to the idea of springs, there I see an opportunity for an upgrade. Springs wear over time. And if smoother running, easier to maintain springs also eliminate FTF and FTE stoppages, it seems like a good idea.

My Kimber is a defensive pistol, not a target gun. Right now things are progressing using your ideology of "if it ain't broke." When it comes time to replace my original springs, of course, I'll do research.
Insta-Gator likes this.
The Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2014, 10:40 AM   #4

Welcome to the site from Tennessee! You are right! Put the new original parts back in your new pistol and save the parts you just bought until you really need them.
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:53 AM   #5

Welcome to the forum from St Lou..
I fall under the category of TETO on anything a person buys.
If ya want to change things, go ahead because it's your money and your toy.
Personally I haven't change a thing but grips on any of my firearms and have never really wanted to because they all shot great right out of the case they came in..
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 03:19 PM   #6

Thanks for the advice guys. My other 1911 is an RIA (also in 10mm) and the extra power springs seemed to help. Guess I "jumped the gun" with my new Kimber.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:38 PM   #7

Wink Hey Ya'll!!!

Welcome to the forum from beautiful downtown Monroe, Georgia!!!
welcome.gifwelcome.gifwelcome.gif
Monroe GA.jpg

I'm not sure why you thought new springs were needed for a new Kimber??!! In addition, you have a cotton pickin' 10mm. Why would you need heavier loads?? Hell, that big old 10 is a street howitzer already with standard factory loads. Unless you are going after brown bears or moose with it, you have power to spare!!!

Save those new springs and put them back in after you wear out the factory original ones. That should be around 5,000 rounds or so. Shoot straight, keep 'em in the 10 ring and be safe!!

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

wolf type c extra power springs for sale

Click on a term to search for related topics.