New thoughts on DIY trigger job - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Gunsmith

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2015, 07:14 AM   #1
Banned

New thoughts on DIY trigger job

I picked up a bottle of Brasso Metal Polish and I'm going to do a safe scared-chicken DIY trigger job. Non imbedding, no files, no sand paper, just the chemical rub.

Once upon a long time ago, back in my Marine Corps bootcamp days, we would spend evenings shining the boots, cleaning rifles and polishing our brass. Our brass was just a cheap buckle for our dress uniforms. Thinking back it really is amazing how shiny they became after 72 days of bootcamp. So during the superbowl, with snacks and about 4 hours of idle time, I'm going to start my rub on the Kimber.

Now, I haven't shot the pistol in over 4 months but I have been dry firing it a lot and there have been modest improvements. And I should now see some wear marks which will direct my rubbing efforts.

I'm thinking this might work and there is no way I can possibly screw this up.
starnovi likes this.
montanaResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-31-2015, 07:24 AM   #2
Super Moderator

I do the same things with new guns, sitting in front of the TV dry firing will help break in the gun in addition to improving your shooting. Another thing I do is remove the recoil spring, clean the slide and frame rails then put dab of Colgate toothpaste on them. Reassemble slide and frame and work the slide a couple of hundred times. The toothpaste is very fine polishing compound and will really smooth out the operation of the slide.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:36 AM   #3
Banned

My dry firing was with my left hand thumb blocking the hammer, allowing the hammer to move only slightly. I can get in a lot of trigger pulls in a short amount of time.

I like the toothpaste idea. I'll give it a go.

Old 02-02-2015, 06:55 AM   #4
Banned

The trigger is now smoother and lighter, but the break is not as crisp as I would like, as it is on a Springfield 1911 that I paid to have a trigger job done. I pretty much polished the trigger and its bow, as the sear and hammer claw were very shiny and there was little I could do to improve them. I did take some tension out of the sear spring, the center tang only, which is probably where my biggest improvement was made.

I guess the next step is pay a gunsmith to improve the breaking point, but not worth it to me. It's good enough as is.
Wk2fish likes this.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:31 PM   #5

Talking Wow!!!

Not only does the toothpaste polish the internals of your pistol, it gives it minty fresh breath!!!
brushteeth.gifbrushteeth.gifbrushteeth.gifbrushteeth.gifbrushteeth.gifbrushteeth.gif
starnovi likes this.

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:06 AM   #6
Banned

Brownells had on sale over the weekend and yesterday the Ed Brown Sear Jig. Been ordered, and will do a proper trigger job as soon as it arrives.

I've a Lansky knife sharpening kit with 5 different stones that I will use (only the finest 2). I'll get 3 1911s finely tuned for $40, and see about selling the jig afterwards.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:19 AM   #7

Never thought about the toothpaste! Thanks.
Actually I use it already to polish the stems of my smoking pipes but I never thought about my pistols .
Old 11-20-2016, 10:28 AM   #8

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
I do the same things with new guns, sitting in front of the TV dry firing will help break in the gun in addition to improving your shooting. Another thing I do is remove the recoil spring, clean the slide and frame rails then put dab of Colgate toothpaste on them. Reassemble slide and frame and work the slide a couple of hundred times. The toothpaste is very fine polishing compound and will really smooth out the operation of the slide.
I know this is an old post, but you can also use Crest, Rembrandt, Aquafresh, ... seriously now, you can use Flitz, Simi-chrome polish, or just about any jeweler's rouge/polish too. This does work very well to smooth out the slide. Just be sure to spray it down and/or clean it after to remove all traces of whatever polish you use.

Another method, and actually I prefer this one, is to just shoot the crap out of the gun; it will smooth out really well with usage.
JCBnPHX likes this.
druryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 04:26 PM   #9

boolets is spensive. Toof paste ain't so much.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 06:03 PM   #10
Banned

Originally Posted by Insta-Gator View Post
boolets is spensive. Toof paste ain't so much.
And working in the internals of a firearm is incredible educational and (for me) fun.

Even though my DIY trigger jobs have not been 100% satisfactory in the end, the knowledge gained has made it worth the time and effort. Expense being 0.00c or thereabouts.
Chuck43 and Pops6116 like this.

Search tags for this page
brasso metal polish revolver trigger job
diy trigger job on north american arms revolver

kimber k6s trigger job

trigger job in a bottle
Click on a term to search for related topics.