micro 9 trigger creep - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Gunsmith

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Old Timer 57

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2018, 08:06 PM   #1

micro 9 trigger creep

just purchased new micro 9 experiencing trigger creep and grittiness anybody familiar with this and any solutions
LUKABRAZZI is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-17-2018, 08:17 PM   #2

micro 9 trigger creep

anybody have suggestion on trigger creep and grittiness issues
LUKABRAZZI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:16 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois and congratulations on the new Micro 9. How about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership?

Old 01-18-2018, 07:23 AM   #4

By creep, do you mean the distance between where the trigger is resting and when it actually engages and drops the hammer? If so, I believe around 1/8" to 1/4" is normal for this pistol. It's not like a revolver firing in single action where there is virtually no take-up before the trigger drops the hammer.

As far as the grittiness is concerned, I noted the same when the pistol came right out of the box. After cleaning, cycling, and dry-firing the pistol some, much of the "grittiness" went away. After a range session and subsequent cleaning, I no longer experience this as I expected. Sometimes new pistols simply need a bit of a "wear-in" period due to the tight tolerances to which they are machined before they operate smoothly. This is normal. However, if you're still having issues after a 100 rounds or so, then I would start getting concerned.

While some people advocate waiting longer, and the manual says there is something to the effect of no required break-in period, I feel that around 100 rounds or so is enough time for both you to be familiar (or at least familiar enough) with the pistol and actual problems to start presenting themselves. Not saying that any pistol is perfect after that, but like any other mechanical (or electronic) items, serious manufacturing errors tend to present themselves shortly after initial use.
GoCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:00 AM   #5

Creep is the amount of trigger movement in between when all the take-up is took-up, and when the hammer falls.

On a Micro, you can stone the sear and the hammer notch to reduce creep and crunchiness. Removing metal in this area affects where the hammer sits when it's fully cocked, and therefore the engagement of the safety. It can all be made better, if you're already very good with a file.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:59 PM   #6

Do a full tear down, except the trigger. Make sure the sear and hammer are thoroughly cleaned.
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:53 PM   #7

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
Creep is the amount of trigger movement in between when all the take-up is took-up, and when the hammer falls.

On a Micro, you can stone the sear and the hammer notch to reduce creep and crunchiness. Removing metal in this area affects where the hammer sits when it's fully cocked, and therefore the engagement of the safety. It can all be made better, if you're already very good with a file.
Very True! However, be cautious on how much metal that you remove. That could result in unintended consequences such as a full auto discharge, If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it. Take it to a gunsmith that does. Your safety as well as other people are paramount!
Tejun likes this.

Semper Fi

Kimber Ultra CDP II .45 ACP
Kimber Stainless Micro 9mm
Old Timer 57 is offline   Reply With Quote