One quick question regarding the WC flat-wire kit for Custom size Kimber - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Gunsmith

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Insta-Gator
  • 1 Post By buck119
  • 2 Post By Chuck43
  • 2 Post By Tankgunner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2015, 11:26 AM   #1

Question One quick question regarding the WC flat-wire kit for Custom size Kimber

I used the search function and read few threads but I could not find an answer.

I am planning on buying the kit for my new Stainless II.

Wilson Combat Flat Wire Recoil Spring Kit 1911 Government 5

I noticed that the kit comes with a short recoil guide rod, but it does not include a new plug. The plug is currently installed on the Kimber is for a full-length recoil guide rod, thus it has the hole in the center.

Question: do you buy a new flat plug (which one works with the flat wire spring?) or do you keep the one with the hole?

OK, another question, the kit comes with an optional shock buff. I have never used them, are they recommended with standard pressure rounds as well?

OK, I know, that is two questions.
Remove Ads
Old 03-04-2015, 12:26 PM   #2

I put the kit in my Custom (crimson) Carry II. Works great. I believe the outer diameter of the spring is the same as the original, so your current spring cap will capture the spring. I'll go down an verify that in a minute, but I'm confident this is the case. However, since I'm using a shorter guide rod I chose to use a closed spring cap in black. I think it looks better since it matches the bushing and slide. Also, you'll be able to dismantle the gun without the bushing tool.
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 12:45 PM   #3

The original plug worked fine, but hurt my finger when removing without tool. I switched to one of these and it's much easier. Doesn't hurt my finger and I think being longer gives the spring a little more support.

Edit: I do not use the blue buffer pad. Most places I researched recommended NOT using it in full size 1911s.
buck119 likes this.

Last edited by Insta-Gator; 03-04-2015 at 12:47 PM.
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2015, 12:47 PM   #4

Quick question quick answer. Kit and plug on the way to Alanta. Ill give the recoil buffer a try and see if I want to reorder some. With one I think I am good until 1000 rounds. Thank you!
Insta-Gator likes this.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:23 PM   #5

Wink Let Us Know!!

Be sure to update us on how the installation goes and how your Custom performs with the new flat wire spring kit!!

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 07:21 AM   #6

Originally Posted by Insta-Gator View Post
The original plug worked fine, but hurt my finger when removing without tool. I switched to one of these and it's much easier. Doesn't hurt my finger and I think being longer gives the spring a little more support.

Edit: I do not use the blue buffer pad. Most places I researched recommended NOT using it in full size 1911s.
Originally Posted by lineman73 View Post
Be sure to update us on how the installation goes and how your Custom performs with the new flat wire spring kit!!
Buying the new plug is definitely a good idea. My finger thanks me already .
I installed guide, spring and plug and mechanically seems to be a perfect fit. I'll try it at the range this evening.
But I can confirm already that the blue buffer does not allow to release the slide by just pulling it back. It looks like the buffer does not allow to move the slide enough to push the slide lock down. I am not sure if with extensive use the buffer get "squeezed" so that it may improve but I am not going to try.

Thanks for the advice. I saved some money by not buying the extra replacement buffers.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:34 AM   #7
Super Moderator

I've never used buffers I think that if they were necessary manufactures would put them in guns at the factory.
Insta-Gator and Richard like this.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:14 PM   #8

I bought one of the flat wire 5" to try out, put it in a Springfield but have not shot it yet. My S.A. Came with thier two piece FLGR, bought a Wilson recoil spring plug. Pretty inexpensive and like stated above, much easier on the fingers.
Chuck43 and Jflytle like this.

Last edited by Tankgunner; 03-13-2015 at 05:17 PM.
Tankgunner is offline   Reply With Quote