Extractor Adjustment Tool - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Gunsmith

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Tejun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2018, 10:21 AM   #1

Extractor Adjustment Tool

On my last range trip, my Dan Wesson 1911 suddenly began experiencing failures to extract really bad.... like every other shot. I took it home and disassembled. Checked the extractor tension by placing a round in and shaking the slide. It seemed to be adequate and was not releasing the round. Removed the extractor and cleaned everything then reassembled, but was still experiencing FTEs. I decided to purchase the Weigand Extractor Tool and the tension guages. I had a new Wilson Combat Extractor I had purchased as a spare and decided to install it in the gun. This morning I started the process of replacing. First, I checked the extractor tension on the ejector in the gun. It was releasing at 9 oz pull. According to Weigand, they recommend 25 - 28 oz pull weight. That had to be why it was having FTEs (I hope anyway). Weigand sells the tool and guage set for $55 (or somewhere around there).

Took out the new extractor, and after a few times of adjusting, installing and testing, I got it to a 27 oz pull weight.

Time to go the range now and test it out. Will start checking my other pistols as I get them out for a cleaning.
krunchnik, JC45 and KCJeep like this.
Micro 380 Stainless
Micro 9 Stainless
Solo CDP

Last edited by Tejun; 03-06-2018 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Incorrect wording used
Tejun is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-06-2018, 05:50 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to krunchnik
For some odd reason extractor tension gets overlooked quite often when diagnosing feed problems.I am a armorer at a local indoor range and sales and I use the same tools for extractor tension.Good choice.

Search tags for this page

extractor tensioning tool worth it?

fte and extractor adjustments

Click on a term to search for related topics.