Thinking of buying a project gun - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Gunsmith

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2015, 10:27 AM   #1
Banned

Thinking of buying a project gun

It's going to be a 1911, that I'm sure. It's got to be functioning, ugly, and need some new parts requiring some fitting. I'd like to fit a beavertail handgrip safety, reshaping/rounding edges, polish and coating the pistol. This being the minimum of my aspirations.

I was thinking of building a 1911, but there is no cost savings, just the doing for the learning. I'd rather do, learn and give a rebirth to an old soldier. Anybody do this? Any older brands (inexpensive, in case I need to junk it) I should be out looking for?
Lineman and Zoomybaby like this.
montanaResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-17-2015, 09:01 AM   #2

All of mine are project guns to some degree, even if purchased new. I have a hard time leaving things as is from the factory.
maansmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 09:04 AM   #3

You're preaching to the choir on this one. There hasn't been a stock motorcycle or edged tool in my home for over thirty years.

Go for it. What's the worse thing that can happen? If it blows up in your face and kills you, the entire KT family will testify it was ISIS...
The Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2015, 10:57 AM   #4

I have thought of the same thing, considering picking up al old basic frame/slide and just having some fun, er, I mean learning. There are probably some recent Springfield basic pistols that would fit the bit.

As Chico said, what's the worst that could happen.
Jflytle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 04:01 PM   #5
Banned

Got it coming. A bit more then a true project gun. A Colt XSE, that has had a $1000 worth of Wilson work done on it. It looks like it was an EDC and is rather rough looking, and the beavertail safety is a drop in and looks bad. I'll DIY fit a flush fit Wilson high-grip safety to it, and do other things as needed (I'll know more when it arrives), and then get it Cerakoted. If it is as tight as it looks and sounds this could be a Wilson equiv. at 1/3 the cost.

I'm cautious about buying a used pistol, but I do have a Springfield that is nearing 30yo, and it is very tight, and I've shot the crap out of it. I've taken good care of it and fixed things as necessary, and that makes all the difference. What I'm saying is a used pistol can be a great buy, and I don't let appearance put me off.
Chuck43 and Zoomybaby like this.

Last edited by montanaResident; 04-17-2015 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-17-2015, 04:04 PM   #6
Banned

Lifted off GB.com, this is where I'll be starting from.

I'm thinking when all improvements are made, getting it all Cerakoted in Tungsten and have only the grips Armor Black. Should look striking. Need to look into finding some metal smiths who can scribe straight lines and make distinctive appearance modifications.

This is just unacceptable to me! But notice the mating of the slide/frame groves. Nice looking and Tight!

Last edited by montanaResident; 04-17-2015 at 04:15 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:00 PM   #7

Cool Heck Yeah!!

Looks like a fun project. I may have to find something to play with also. I haven't worked on a fixer-upper in a long time. It could be fun!!

Be sure to show us in progress and after photos! Lookin' forward to it!!!Keep us in the loop!! Thanks!

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:05 AM   #8
Banned

Money order and FFL info was sent out Monday. I expect shipping Friday. Next week the fun should begin.
Chuck43 and Jflytle like this.
Old 05-01-2015, 03:28 PM   #9
Banned

Well the pistol finally showed up. And what a nice piece. I'll shoot it a good bit, but honestly there is little that needs to be done. Even the wear and bump marks from it being carried, give it a business look that I like. With the Wilson Combat trigger job, and the Wilson Bullet Proof, sear and hammer, this might be a good condition 1 1911 carry that I can trust not to shoot my leg off with.

Maybe in a year, I'll consider fitting flush a different beavertail safety and getting it refinished, but right now, it is a nice nice pistol.
Old 05-01-2015, 03:45 PM   #10

How much do you have invested so far?