• 1 Post By Trigger
  • 1 Post By Mike240
  • 1 Post By Mike240
  • 1 Post By Trigger
  • 1 Post By Chuck43

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2018, 04:56 PM   #1

Red dot on a Gold Match

Ok guys, I'm the new guy here, an old Texan. This forum was recommended at a gun show today.
I want to install a red dot sight on a 45 gold match II. I can't find any references on "how to's" or parts required. My questions are:

1. Is the dovetail cut a Bomar, Novak, or Kimber proprietary cut?
2. What specific parts are required? I have been told MOS mounts will work but they don't look right. What mount is required to match the gold match.
3. Can a red dot handle the 45 recoil?
4. Is this conversion even practical?

Thanks for any help.
Chuck43 likes this.
Trigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-26-2018, 06:02 PM   #2

The slide can be milled to mount a red dot low and use suppressor height sights to have an iron sight co-witness as back up sights which you should for a defense gun. Otherwise you can get adapter plates from most red dot sight makers that will replace the factory rear iron sight using the factory dovetail so you can mount the red dot.

First decide which red dot you will use. If you choose the Trijicon RMR make sure to buy the type 2. The first generation does not do well on slide mounts. I know first hand with two of them. I really like the Leupold DeltaPoint Pro.

If Kimber will make the plates and front sights from their new optic ready pistols available I will buy some since I can now do the machining myself and adapt some older guns.

So first decide is this going to be for range fun or daily and defense use? After that decision I can offer more. I have over the years had various configurations and most recently about 5000 rounds through a STI HOST with the Deltapoint.
Chuck43, 2sharp2 and DaVinci like this.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:25 AM   #3

If Kimber does make the mount plates available do you believe they will be compatible with a GM II? Is the dovetail in a GMII a common commerical cut or Kimber proprietary?
Chuck43 likes this.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:56 AM   #4

No. The plates I refer to are on the new KHX and Aegis Elite pistols whose slide is milled out in a large area. To not do any machining to your slide and use an existing dovetail adapter look for something like this:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ail_mount.html

https://www.amazon.com/Sight-Mount-D.../dp/B0711TFB9P

Make sure you order a plate according to your existing either fixed or adjustable rear sight and the type of red dot you choose. Some fitting may still be needed as move sights are slightly oversized compared to dovetails in slides. Either seek a good gunsmith or use the correct angle safe side file. Once you decide if you cannot find someone to install send me a PM.
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:59 AM   #5

Try here. I have used EGW parts of all kinds for years and they are exceptional.

Kimber: EGW Gun Parts
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:28 PM   #6

OK guys, I've gotten some good help here and it's appreciated. Thanks to all for your info.
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 09-01-2018, 03:45 PM   #7

I have a Gold Match I with a Fastfire III . I can't remember where I got the adapter, Burris I think?. EGW should be excellent, as always... I mainly shoot target loads,(reloads) but have had no trouble at all after several hundred rounds. Very accurate... you'll love it!!!
lray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 03:49 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois lray, how about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership?
lray likes this.