Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Gunsmith

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By 46QJI
  • 3 Post By techjunkie25
  • 1 Post By Kiwi Cop

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2018, 08:30 PM   #1

Hammer falls without depressing grip safety

Just acquired a Kimber Custom 5Ē and Iíve just noticed that without touching the grip safety, and pulling the trigger, the hammer falls. Granted it takes a bit more effort to make the hammer fall, but the hammer still falls. When I apply pressure to the beaver tail and try the same action, no hammer fall.
This is leading me to believe that the mainspring is either weak or not adjusted properly. The gun is an original classic serial K0713xx so possibly the mainspring needs to be replaced? Or should I keep trying to adjust the furthest right finger to apply more pressure to the grip safety?

It does have an aftermarket mainspring housing, for which Iím trying to find an original flat housing to replace it with.

What say you all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
techjunkie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-30-2018, 10:32 PM   #2

It very well could be the aftermarket MSH not allowing the grip safety to release enough to fully block the trigger. This is where I would start at least.
Mike240, RustyIron and Spotly like this.
46QJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 05:17 AM   #3
Super Moderator

The aftermarket Main Spring Housing needs fitting, I suggest you take it to a gunsmith.

Old 08-31-2018, 08:18 AM   #4

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
The aftermarket Main Spring Housing needs fitting, I suggest you take it to a gunsmith.

Iíve actually just fit it to the gs tabs and now the weapon locks up like it should.
No hammer follow, trigger does not move rearward without the grip safety depressed.

Just took a few draws with the file and now works great.

Thanks for all the info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Chuck43, 46QJI and Bigdog like this.
techjunkie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 03:04 AM   #5

Having learnt to do all my own trigger work on my three 1911's after trying the spring bending method to lighten trigger pull and turning a pistol into one that slam fired without touching the trigger, I am leary of much spring bending.

When one of my 1911's grip safety's stopped working it was due to insufficient spring tension on the right fork (looking from the rear). While I fixed it fairly easily by bending the fork rearward again I replaced the whole sear spring (and carry two spares in my shooting kit at all times).

Recently at a competition a new shooter was having trouble with disengaging the grip safety on his 1911. The local 1911 "Guru" said to grind the activation lever to make it easier to depress. And I actually shuddered.
Chuck43 likes this.
Kiwi Cop is offline   Reply With Quote