• 2 Post By thehobbygunsmith
  • 2 Post By 427malibu
  • 5 Post By pbsdaddy
  • 2 Post By RetiredGunsmith
  • 2 Post By RetiredGunsmith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2018, 10:54 AM   #1

How to Polish a Feedramp Quick and Easy

Hey Guys so i just uploaded a new video on How to Polish a Feedramp Quick and Easy. I like doing this small modification to my firearms as a preventative measure for failures to feed that can be caused by a rough Feedramp in which the round gets stuck riding up the ramp into the chamber, and also to make easier cleanup for powder residue as it does not stick as easily to the polished surface. I hope you guys enjoy the video. please hit the subscribe button to help support the channel and to keep up to date on all the new videos i upload to the channel. Thanks again everyone for all the support.

thehobbygunsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-02-2018, 09:16 AM   #2

Guys feel free to comment and let me know your thoughts on what I can do to improve my videos. Also ideas of what you would like to see as far as topics. Thanks
Old 09-02-2018, 04:10 PM   #3

As always great video and tips
427malibu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2018, 04:40 PM   #4

I have been doing this, with all my auto loaders, for about 35 years. As stated, it is a cheap but productive way to aid in the reduction of common failures, like failed to feed and failed to extract.
For those that are not familiar with the Brownell's polishing compounds, or others like it, you can use Dupont automotive polishing compound. It is a little more forgiving, than the dry type and still produces exactly the same end result. I use a common Dremel tool, as opposed to the air tools, but, again, the end result is the same.

If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never has been and never will be. T Jefferson
pbsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 08:51 PM   #5

Originally Posted by 427malibu View Post
As always great video and tips
Thank you Brother.

Originally Posted by pbsdaddy View Post
I have been doing this, with all my auto loaders, for about 35 years. As stated, it is a cheap but productive way to aid in the reduction of common failures, like failed to feed and failed to extract.
For those that are not familiar with the Brownell's polishing compounds, or others like it, you can use Dupont automotive polishing compound. It is a little more forgiving, than the dry type and still produces exactly the same end result. I use a common Dremel tool, as opposed to the air tools, but, again, the end result is the same.
That is correct, outcome is the same, I have people that I know of the at do it with a wooden dowel and sandpaper and just work their way up the grits. Smooths it right up.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:17 AM   #6

I had not considered polishing the inside of the chamber, but it makes sense. To polish the feed ramp, I use a HF micro air die grinder (p/n 60244) that runs up to 56000 rpm. The pistols I have are stainless steel so for compound I use the stuff I have for polishing s.s. trim on older cars. Thanks for the great video.

Tommy b
tommy b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:20 PM   #7

Another thing you can do to make feeding more reliable is to radius the chamber mouth at the top of the ramp/bottom of the chamber. when I do this I use the cratex rod abrasive and the easiest way to do it is to simulate the path of the bullet up the ramp. At the point where the ramp breaks over the chamber mouth, you simply rock the cratex over this edge which rounds that edge slightly. The secret is to remove the edge without removing the support. This goes a long way toward elimination of feed problems with hollow point ammunition in a semiautomatic pistol.

For those who may not be familiar with cratex, it is a rubber and abrasive product that comes pre shaped into wheels, rods, cylinder and bullet shaped points. Available in a lot of supply stores, here's the one I use -

https://www.brownells.com/search/ind...atex&ksubmit=y

You can use the cylinders to jewel bolts and flat surfaces on firearms, (it does a great job on the sides of revolver hammers and triggers), and it comes in various grits. I prefer this type because it does not throw compound all over you and your shop. I use a variable speed moto tool, and I also have a Foredom flex shaft tool and the slower the rpm the better - you will not have control at 15,000 rpms, where 200 rpm will do the job.

I highly recommend performing this operation on any semiautomatic pistol. The increase in reliability and in ease of cleaning is well worth the effort.
thehobbygunsmith and tommy b like this.
RetiredGunsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:33 PM   #8

pbsdaddy - Same for me brother! I don't know why people think a manufactured product should function flawlessly when they are not hand tuned and fitted. I don't get disappointed when a new firearm has a problem, I just fix it. That is why most gun reviews are bull. They either get a massaged sample to evaluate, or they get hung up on a problem that takes 20 minutes to fix and then give poor ratings to it.

ASA vet, VVA life member Chapter 310.
Gunsmith 30 years, (retired)
Mainframe and client/server consultant (also retired)
Now working Amateur Radio supporting NOAA, American Red Cross and ARES/Skywarn ~ w8sfc.
thehobbygunsmith and tommy b like this.
RetiredGunsmith is offline   Reply With Quote