Thumb safety weak - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Gunsmith

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2018, 07:59 PM   #1

Thumb safety weak

I have a new KHX Ultra and the thumb safety is weak to the point of being unsafe. On multiple occasions I find the safety off while holstered. Ive never had this problem and have always carried 1911s ready to fire. Stronger spring or get the file out? Any advice greatly appreciated
Bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-07-2018, 08:40 PM   #2

...well that sucks :-(
These are production guns and every now and then something gets through QC that shouldn't. My first outing with my PRO CDP II 9mm had me wondering why my shots weren't hitting where I was aiming? I only had to wonder for a second or two, when the front sight fell off it all made sense :-)
...I know it's not what you want to hear but I'd suggest calling Kimber on Monday and getting a RMA. I'd ask that the entire pistol be thoroughly checked and that the safety assembly be replaced.
Keep us posted...
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 10:12 PM   #3

I agree with cousinmark. It should "firmly" click between on and off.

Just asking: Have you had it apart for any reason?

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2018, 09:53 AM   #4

I would try a new plunger spring before doing anything else. Could be a cheap and easy fix.
46QJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 10:34 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Your best bet is to do as Mark suggested and call Kimber on Monday morning.

Customer Service
Toll-Free: (888) 243-4522
Hours: MF, 9:30 a.m.7 p.m. Eastern
Old 09-09-2018, 05:58 AM   #6

Thanks for the suggestions! Going to call the Mothership am Monday
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:00 AM   #7

Originally Posted by Bart View Post
I have a new KHX Ultra and the thumb safety is weak to the point of being unsafe. On multiple occasions I find the safety off while holstered. Ive never had this problem and have always carried 1911s ready to fire. Stronger spring or get the file out? Any advice greatly appreciated
Sounds like your Plunger spring might be either too short or collapsed a bit causing less tension against your safety to give it more friction and keep it in the position you want positively, id check your plunger spring first. only other thing that can be is either your safety is not pushed all the way in and the detent is not against your safety and just hanging out behind it. hope this helps you out before you end up calling.
46QJI likes this.
thehobbygunsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:57 PM   #8

Originally Posted by thehobbygunsmith View Post
Sounds like your Plunger spring might be either too short or collapsed a bit causing less tension against your safety to give it more friction and keep it in the position you want positively, id check your plunger spring first. only other thing that can be is either your safety is not pushed all the way in and the detent is not against your safety and just hanging out behind it. hope this helps you out before you end up calling.
Please don't take this the wrong way, I don't mean any disrespect.

First off though, for most owners, myself included, calling Kimber and letting them check everything over IS the easiest and best option. There are any number of things that could be out of spec leaving this pistol unlocked and UNSAFE. Having a professional determine EXACTLY why isn't a bad idea. When you purchase a new Kimber you're paying for certified factory support. The real factory shop, OEM parts and a certified armorer, ALL FREE. It's part of the deal, why advocate doing anything that could void that warranty or result in a subpar job?
Secondly, I don't believe Kimber even offers the various parts that may be factors? They simply don't advocate tearing the pistols down that far. For a number of reasons...
Lastly and most importantly, if you do the job "at home" and fail to get it 100% right there could wind up being a tragic problem. We're not working on a lawnmower. It's a lethal weapon!

Sorry if it seems like I'm chewing your A$$ dude. You're a good bit more advanced than most of us when it comes to complete rebuilds and I'm sure you could properly correct this problem.
Bigdog and thehobbygunsmith like this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 03:57 AM   #9

Originally Posted by cousinmark View Post
Please don't take this the wrong way, I don't mean any disrespect.

First off though, for most owners, myself included, calling Kimber and letting them check everything over IS the easiest and best option. There are any number of things that could be out of spec leaving this pistol unlocked and UNSAFE. Having a professional determine EXACTLY why isn't a bad idea. When you purchase a new Kimber you're paying for certified factory support. The real factory shop, OEM parts and a certified armorer, ALL FREE. It's part of the deal, why advocate doing anything that could void that warranty or result in a subpar job?
Secondly, I don't believe Kimber even offers the various parts that may be factors? They simply don't advocate tearing the pistols down that far. For a number of reasons...
Lastly and most importantly, if you do the job "at home" and fail to get it 100% right there could wind up being a tragic problem. We're not working on a lawnmower. It's a lethal weapon!

Sorry if it seems like I'm chewing your A$$ dude. You're a good bit more advanced than most of us when it comes to complete rebuilds and I'm sure you could properly correct this problem.

I know if my brand new gun was having issues I would let the manufacturer take care of it.
I do enjoy hearing about solutions to issues people are having to learn more about the guns I own.
DaveinNC likes this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:46 PM   #10

Disassembled the safety. The detent spring is visibly bent close to center. Spoke to Kimber have new spring on the way!

Search tags for this page

kimber gunsmiths

Click on a term to search for related topics.