Wheeler Sight Pusher - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Gunsmith

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2018, 04:35 AM   #1

Wheeler Sight Pusher

I few weeks back I purchased this sight pusher. I havenít used it yet but it looks very well made and I think it should make sight replacement easy.
I found it used on eBay for $70 w/shipping and they can be purchased new for around $120.
I do have a few guns I would like to replace the sights but Iím going to wait until after Christmas. I usually pay a smith between $30-$40 to replace my sights so I figured for $70 why not buy one.
The reviews are mixed (shocking)but I think this pusher will work just fine.
If any of you own one or have used one I would like to here about your experience and of course any tips would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 6020CE34-84B3-44F4-9567-CEA732CB8267.jpeg (1.41 MB, 19 views)
File Type: jpeg 403C2FE4-619D-4BD6-B3C2-B56216FE90A2.jpeg (677.3 KB, 15 views)
bhunted and RustyIron like this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-08-2018, 04:52 AM   #2

that is nice

bhunted and JC45 like this.
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:23 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Nice score John, I have a sight pusher (not a Wheeler) some sights come out smoothly others can be a bear. If you can't get it to move soak it with something like WD-40 overnight. Remember a lot of Kimbers have a little set screw in the rear sight that has to be removed first. When looking down the gun as if you were going to shoot it the sights come out left to right and go in right to left.
bhunted and JC45 like this.

Old 12-08-2018, 05:55 AM   #4

Originally Posted by Shootinit View Post
I have looked at this video thanks.
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 12-08-2018, 06:03 AM   #5

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
Nice score John, I have a sight pusher (not a Wheeler) some sights come out smoothly others can be a bear. If you can't get it to move soak it with something like WD-40 overnight. Remember a lot of Kimbers have a little set screw in the rear sight that has to be removed first. When looking down the gun as if you were going to shoot it the sights come out left to right and go in right to left.
Thanks Chuck, the guy said itís basically brand new but the box is a little discolored from sitting on a shelf. I canít see any signs of wear and his description was very accurate.

I like that it does front and rear sights and you can switch the pusher for straight or angled sights.
I do know about the set screw but thatís good information.
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 12-08-2018, 06:26 AM   #6

Jc thats the same one i was looking at and asked my son to get me for christmas.I myself are always changing sights and pay the gunsmith. It was a toss up between the wheeler and mgw . Mgw makes one thats a little cheaper called the compact range sight pusher but you still need the little shoes that are gun specific.By a little cheaper I meant cheaper the the mgw full size one not the wheeler. the compact mgw was about 185 to 250 depending were you shop. Let us know how it works.
Chuck43 and JC45 like this.
427malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:38 AM   #7

Originally Posted by 427malibu View Post
Jc thats the same one i was looking at and asked my son to get me for christmas.I myself are always changing sights and pay the gunsmith. It was a toss up between the wheeler and mgw . Mgw makes one thats a little cheaper called the compact range sight pusher but you still need the little shoes that are gun specific.By a little cheaper I meant cheaper the the mgw full size one not the wheeler. the compact mgw was about 185 to 250 depending were you shop. Let us know how it works.
It maybe a little while before I get to try this pusher out but when I do I will definitely let you know how it works.

One video I saw recommended taking your time and make sure everything is lined up correctly and use a lube like Chuck recommended and everything should go good. Iím sure heís right.
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:12 AM   #8

I wanted to follow up on my experience with this Wheeler sight pusher.

Yesterday the rear sight for my Dan Wesson Vigil Commander 9mm arrived. I bought a small triangle file, Arkansas extra fine triangle stone, Loctite and a few other item to make sure I had everything I needed before I started.

I gathered everything I needed. I set my work bench (snack table in den). I set the slide in the Wheeler, align everything straight and set the pusher height for a correct push. The sight was very tight but it was moving. I heard a pop and then everything went smooth. The sight was removed in about a minute.

The new sight was from the CZ/Dan Wesson web store. I ordered from them because I emailed DW and this sight was a match for the front sight. It was just easy to use a factory part for my first time. They also told me I had to fit the new sight which I was expecting. The new sight was too tight so I used some fine sand paper on a block of wood to slowly remove material from the bottom. I didnít want to rush this process so I kept sanding until the sight went into the dovetail the same distance as the one I removed. When I got to this point I used the pusher for the rest of the way. The sight was very snug just like the original but went in nice. I didnít use any Loctite because I didnít see any from the factory after I removed the original sight and I didnít think it was necessary for this application. The set screw had some thread locker on it from the factory. If it does move I can always add Loctite later but I donít see this sight moving. I did mark the original position of the sight and put the new sight in the same spot. I also took measurements to make sure everything was aligned properly.
This is a single tritium dot sight, like a Heine Straight 8. I never used this type of rear sight and wanted to try something different.

The Wheeler sight pusher worked out great. It was very easy to use and not complicated at all. I would recommend this pusher to anyone looking to do their own sights.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 1DF8C6D5-93B5-4BCE-B98A-6B6BE2E64848.jpeg (609.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpeg 63E3C769-8358-4193-9867-09069DB16FF7.jpeg (631.8 KB, 7 views)
Old 01-26-2019, 05:31 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Nice report John, you'll have to let us know how you like shooting with that sight.
JC45 and Wingnut like this.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:17 AM   #10

Glad everything went smooth. My pusher worked great also on my sig p365. That rear sight on your dan wesson looks the same as mine on the eco 9.
JC45 likes this.
427malibu is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

https://www.kimbertalk.com/forums/gunsmith/58208-wheeler-sight-pusher.html

wheeler sight pusher reviews

Click on a term to search for related topics.