sights - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Gunsmith

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2019, 03:15 PM   #1

sights

As some of you know I own a few kimbers, love them. I also own a few other brands. I have a pretty new springfield 3 inch 9mm emp. Great gun, it has fiber optic front sights. They are good at the range but I do carry it once and a while. So I want to put night sights on it, I have night sights on all my handguns. First I called spingfield, they said 175 and 30 dollars shipping. I asked how much for just the sights because my kids got me a wheeler sight tool. They said they dont sell the sights that they have to be installed at the custom shop. Any install or modifications will void the warranty. So I have to decide, aftermarket or springfield. To me thats crazy, Kimber sells just sight as do sig. Whats all of your thoughts.
427malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-09-2019, 04:21 PM   #2

Springfield suprised you on add on's mabey trade for Kimber ?
Originally Posted by 427malibu View Post
As some of you know I own a few kimbers, love them. I also own a few other brands. I have a pretty new springfield 3 inch 9mm emp. Great gun, it has fiber optic front sights. They are good at the range but I do carry it once and a while. So I want to put night sights on it, I have night sights on all my handguns. First I called spingfield, they said 175 and 30 dollars shipping. I asked how much for just the sights because my kids got me a wheeler sight tool. They said they dont sell the sights that they have to be installed at the custom shop. Any install or modifications will void the warranty. So I have to decide, aftermarket or springfield. To me thats crazy, Kimber sells just sight as do sig. Whats all of your thoughts.
Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk
billyb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:25 PM   #3

Originally Posted by billyb4 View Post
Springfield suprised you on add on's mabey trade for Kimber ?

$205.00 for night sights they saw you comming . Wow that's a up gradeeee & then some thanks for the warning !!

Bigdog likes this.
billyb4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2019, 04:35 PM   #4

Well … for my two cents. I'm a real DIY kinda guy. I work on all my own guns … often right out of the box, but that's just me. No, I'm not going to void the warranty on my wife's new car, but I don't really worry much about warranties on guns.

I AM NOT RECOMMENDING THAT YOU DO THIS.

But I have changed sights on lots of guns and grips, stocks, barrels, springs, triggers … new ones and old ones. I have a shelf full of books, manuals and DVDs on many makes and models. Again…that's just me.

To be honest I don't know a single gunsmith in my area and the only time I've ever sent a gun back to the manufacturer was to send my Sig 320s back for the safety recall.
46QJI and 427malibu like this.
PaulWVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:03 PM   #5

Sounds like a poor customer service "bully" tactic to me...use our products and gunsmith services or lose your warranty.

Now this is just me but I would tell Springfield to kiss my azz and buy aftermarket sights.
Chuck43, Tejun, 427malibu and 1 others like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:38 PM   #6

Ive changed sights,msh,springs and polished the freed ramp and barrel throats before. I was just amazed that they didnt and wouldnt sell the night sights. Ive already found a few companies that offer night sights and better night/day sights that Im thinging about. This is more than likely the last springield Ill buy, but the gun is dead accurate and reliable. They offered a two tone with night sights but i have the kimber ultra cdp in 45 and 9. I just liked the all black one.
Chuck43, 2sharp2 and PaulWVa like this.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:45 AM   #7

You have a sight pusher available to you so if you need to send the gun in for a warranty issue put the old sights back on before shipping the gun back.
Chuck43, Tejun, 427malibu and 1 others like this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:05 AM   #8

Surely you can find some sights like the TRUGLO TFX type that will fit your EMP. Find the sight set you like and search Amazon and eBay for the best price.
lonestarlizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 12:51 PM   #9

Originally Posted by JC45 View Post
You have a sight pusher available to you so if you need to send the gun in for a warranty issue put the old sights back on before shipping the gun back.
I agree with JC on this one....
Micro 380 Stainless
Micro 9 Stainless
Solo CDP
Tejun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 02:16 PM   #10

I checked on the springfield emp forum and was told the sight cuts are different than all others on the emp. I have found two companies that make them. As far as switching back and forth for warranty service, forget about it. The front sight is very low and you can barely see the notch on the front sight. Pusher would probably snap off the top of sight and have to cut the rest out. This is a tough one, if anyone gets a chance check out the front sight on a emp. Ill either leave the fiber optic front or pay springfield. I know stick with Kimbers, I have about six and wanted something different.