Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Gunsmith

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By akcf
  • 1 Post By akcf

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2019, 05:49 PM   #1

Cool K6 Cylinder lockup

Hey guys just bought my 1st kimber the k6s ,and was out at the range and used some remington 38 special and the cylinder kept locking up on me ,i am a ccw holder and want to use this as my main carry .Any idea why this would happen it is brand new ,also the trigger locked up all the way locked ,not to good if i had to use this weapon for my life .
akcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-13-2019, 06:40 PM   #2

Oh snap here we go again!

AKCF, welcome to the site from Tennessee.

Sad to say IMO it's going to need a trip back to the Mothership.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:03 PM   #3

No chance you had any bad ammo that was either cratering the primers or backing them out just enough t cause a bind? I've gotten a bit over-zealous more than once when reloading for my smith 27 and 29, and have produced a few jams in years gone by. Also, on the other end, sharp recoil can back bullets out of the cases making them too long. And a poor crimp will make this more likely. Can't imagine many other ways to jam a cylinder unless you are like a small number of shooters I have known that didn't know what a bore brush or gun oil was for.
BobHyatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2019, 06:11 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum akcf, I suggest you give Kimbers Customer service a call.

Customer Service
Toll-Free: (888) 243-4522
Hours: MF, 9:30 a.m.7 p.m. Eastern

How about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership?
Old 01-14-2019, 06:59 AM   #5

How about checking the ejector rod. Make sure it's not backing out.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:54 AM   #6

Seriously, I wonder if a new firearm, like the K6, is suspect to dirt. Let me explain.

I once had a SW 29 lock up. The gunsmith told me to lift the star and brush it out. A speck of dirt can lock up a revolver.

Suppose, just for a debate, is that the way the star is cut on a new K6, making it easy for dirt to be blown underneath.

It's a theory.

Last edited by The Tourist; 01-16-2019 at 07:01 AM.
The Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:33 AM   #7

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
Oh snap here we go again!

AKCF, welcome to the site from Tennessee.

Sad to say IMO it's going to need a trip back to the Mothership.
Had insurance on it from sportsman warehouse in Juneau Alaska ,so they sent the gun back to kimber ,lol brand new broken.
2sharp2 likes this.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:39 AM   #8

Originally Posted by BobHyatt View Post
No chance you had any bad ammo that was either cratering the primers or backing them out just enough t cause a bind? I've gotten a bit over-zealous more than once when reloading for my smith 27 and 29, and have produced a few jams in years gone by. Also, on the other end, sharp recoil can back bullets out of the cases making them too long. And a poor crimp will make this more likely. Can't imagine many other ways to jam a cylinder unless you are like a small number of shooters I have known that didn't know what a bore brush or gun oil was for.
Ammo was brand new out of the box remington 38 sp ,the gun never had a box of rounds shot through it until this day.i own a smith j frame 38 and never once had this happen to it.Sure do like the looks of the k6 better but it needs to protect you in a bad situation if need be with out a hang.
2sharp2 likes this.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:28 PM   #9

Two possibilities, especially if user is relatively new to revolver use. I burned powder/dirt under star is common; that area needs to be cleaned sometimes more than once a day if ammo is somewhat dirty, which is common. K6 actually is better in the way than most as has a small channel under star that will catch some dirt. This is an issue with all revolvers.

Second, it is very common for new revolver shooters (and even those just new to a particular gun) to short-stroke it, not letting trigger reset (go forward far enough) after a shot. Be sure to let the trigger reset. (It is common for this to be the reply from manufacturer when guns are returned.) Again, this is a common issue with new revolver shooters who are used to semi autos, but also those new to a particular gun. I have been shooting almost all revolvers for many years, and last year STILL had an issue short-stroking a new gun. No issue when I realized this gun needs just a touch more return to reset.

Best all, MM
Mark NM is offline   Reply With Quote