Replace all MIM with Wilson Combat? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Gunsmith

Like Tree77Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2019, 03:48 PM   #1

Replace all MIM with Wilson Combat?

I just purchased a new Kimber Aegis Elite Custom (OI). I would like to replace all the MIM parts with Wilson Combat parts. Is this a realistic venture? How can I get a list of what I need to replace? Thanks for your help.
BCD 45 likes this.
SarasotaSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-31-2019, 03:50 PM   #2
Super Moderator

I'm sorry but I have to ask, why?
Old 01-31-2019, 04:03 PM   #3

Replacing all the MIM parts is of course your choice but IMO it is a waste of money. All my Kimber MIM parts are working perfectly without any failures.

Did you read you should automatically do that on a Kimber on the internet?

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2019, 04:18 PM   #4

I plan on giving this gun when finished to my son who just got out of the USAF. 2 tours overseas, including one in the Middle East. Aegis was a name special to his group. Since I would like it to be the best it can be, hence the replacing the MIM parts idea. Is it necessary? Not at all. Is it worthwhile $$ wise? I'm sure not. Will it be special to him? Yup. Will he keep it for the rest of his life? Yup. Hope I shed some light on this.
SarasotaSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 04:29 PM   #5

Originally Posted by SarasotaSun View Post
I plan on giving this gun when finished to my son who just got out of the USAF. 2 tours overseas, including one in the Middle East. Aegis was a name special to his group. Since I would like it to be the best it can be, hence the replacing the MIM parts idea. Is it necessary? Not at all. Is it worthwhile $$ wise? I'm sure not. Will it be special to him? Yup. Will he keep it for the rest of his life? Yup. Hope I shed some light on this.
I am 1000% certain it will very special and be priceless to your son even if you don't change anything.
If I was your son I would rather you gave me a pistol that you "USED" carried, hunted with, etc. than something new you changed parts in trying to make it "perfect." It's not the item, it's who it's from!!

"best it can be" is not really important IMO.

I have my Dad's cheap old Gillette razor that he used for decades, it don't shave for shit but I still use it every time I shave "just because."

Please Thank your son for me for his service!

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger

Last edited by 2sharp2; 01-31-2019 at 04:31 PM.
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 06:27 PM   #6
Super Moderator

In all honesty I have a number of Kimbers, Ultra's, Pro's and Customs with thousands of trouble free rounds through them. My oldest Custom has over 26,000 rounds through it, other then changing grips, recoil, firing pin and main springs they are all running the original factory parts. I see no reason for you to replace any of the factory parts but that's your choice. It shouldn't be too bad if you can do it yourself, if you have to hire a gunsmith then that will add to the bill. Another thing to consider, the minute you modify the gun your factory warranty is void.

This is quoted directly from Kimber:

"Does your gun have any aftermarket parts and/or modifications?
If so, please be aware that Kimber is required to restore your gun to factory specifications before performing any work to the gun. Please also note that this will be at your expense.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:19 PM   #7

OK … I get it … you think trading out a bunch of MIM parts with machined parts will make it a better gun. But I'm with the guys here … "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Now I do like customizing and getting some add-ons and cool stuff now and again. And truthfully I don't really care what Kimber thinks or does or about warranties. But I don't see that you're really doing anything but spending money at this point.

Like Chuck I have an "old school" Kimber from the '90s, with 20-30 thousands rounds through it. Many in fast, hard IPSC matches and practice. I've replaced springs, sights and grips but have never had a single part break. But hey it's your gun and your money … frankly as a gift I'd rather have an all original gun.... I'll fix it up as needed.

Last edited by PaulWVa; 02-01-2019 at 12:25 PM.
PaulWVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:51 PM   #8

My 2 pennies... forget about it.

If you want your son to have a Wilson, buy a Wilson. If you want your son to have a gun that has the name Aegis on the slide, have it engraved.
Chuck43, Longhorn and Batty like this.
ChattanoogaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:04 PM   #9

Sarasota,

I fully understand what these guys are saying and they're 1911 guru's and I'm only a 1st time 1911 owner. But I'm like Paul, I don't give a **** what Kimber says or thinks about their warranty.

That being said my 1st 1911 I just got 2 weeks ago and it's a Kimber Aegis Elite Ultra in 9mm. Like he said above it's my money to blow so it's at a 1911 professional gunsmith now having Ed Brown parts added. I wanted a magwell so I bought a main spring housing with a magwell in SS snakeskin pattern and while I was that far I added SS mainspring internals. I couldn't get a good grip on the original grip safety so I got an EB grip safety, compact, with the tactical hump on it. My last thing was an EB trigger kit. My gunsmith said it will give a 3.5# trigger pull that's smooth as silk. Parts were a little less than $250 and his work is going to be somewhere between $250-$350, just depends on how much he has to fit parts.

Well that's what I wanted so that's what I'm going to have. I'm semi disabled and life is too short to not get what you want. Will it make it a better firearm, probably not, but I'm happy.

BTW, I wanted to add he said that while he's inside the gun he'll tune it if any parts need honed or if he sees something else that needs to be done.

Jim D
PaulWVa likes this.

Last edited by BCD 45; 01-31-2019 at 08:13 PM.
BCD 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 06:13 AM   #10

Just idle ramblings...

I duknow... but when someone says they just bought an $800 Kimber and a week later dumps $600 worth of Ed Brown parts and labor into it cuz 'that's what he really wanted', yer kinda left wondering if what he really wanted was an Ed Brown to begin with.

From my own personal experience... If ya don't buy what ya want to begin with you'll never fully scratch that itch.
ChattanoogaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote