Kimber Solo Carry DC trigger work - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Gunsmith

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2019, 06:38 AM   #1

Question Kimber Solo Carry DC trigger work

I am a gunsmith out in Wyoming. I have a Kimber Solo Carry DC that has a really rough trigger that the customer wants me to smooth out. This model has an ambidextrous safety that I need to remove prior to getting to the trigger. It has two roll pins that link the two halves together. I have those out, along with one side of the safety. The other side does not slide out, perhaps due to other pieces attached that I cannot see. Does anyone have a diagram or experience with this. It is different from the regular solo. All metal and safety. Thanks
JELWYOMING is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-12-2019, 07:09 AM   #2

I can't help you with a parts diagram but I am curious about your comment "different from the regular Solo. All metal and safety." What do you mean?
2sharp2 likes this.
ChattanoogaPhil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:31 AM   #3

Frame is aluminum alloy and it has a 1911 style thumb safety

Old 05-12-2019, 07:31 AM   #4

Night sights too
Old 05-12-2019, 07:34 AM   #5

I remember it being a bit tricky when I was disassembling a used Solo I had bought. Iím guessing the side that came out easily was the right side which slides in to the square tubing of the left and then the roll
pins hold the assembly together. Itís been well over a year since I did that but seem to remember having to twist the remaining side upward then removing it, but Iím not 100% sure if that. Do you have the grips off where you can look up from bottom side ?
Micro 380 Stainless
Micro 9 Stainless
Solo CDP
Tejun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:36 AM   #6

I just got on a plane flying back to Houston. Iíll look for some pics I may have taken while disassembling to see if they might help me remember the process and post anything when I land in Houston.
JELWYOMING likes this.
Micro 380 Stainless
Micro 9 Stainless
Solo CDP
Tejun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:42 AM   #7

Originally Posted by Tejun View Post
I just got on a plane flying back to Houston. I’ll look for some pics I may have taken while disassembling to see if they might help me remember the process and post anything when I land in Houston.
That would be greatly appreciated. My luck, the grip nut is loose in the frame too. I can only get one of the grips off. I am going to see if I can Locktite it from the magazine well inside.
The right side came right off. I don't want to force the left side much. It feels like there is something else there. I can't see the bottom where the safety engages the sear or trigger.

Last edited by JELWYOMING; 05-12-2019 at 07:44 AM.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:37 AM   #8

Originally Posted by JELWYOMING View Post
Frame is aluminum alloy and it has a 1911 style thumb safety
All Solos do.
ChattanoogaPhil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:15 AM   #9

My mistake. The thumb safety and night sights are the selling point anyway.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:10 AM   #10

Originally Posted by JELWYOMING View Post
My luck, the grip nut is loose in the frame too. I can only get one of the grips off. I am going to see if I can Locktite it from the magazine well inside.
I wouldn't bother to try to Loctite it. That's one of the design flaws that even Kimber cannot fix. I had two come loose on my first Solo and they told me it could not be fixed and they replaced it with a whole new gun. The grip screw studs are pressed into the frame and swaged. They are not threaded in like a quality Gun would be.
If I were you I would inform my client that he has a non-repairable issue with the screw stud. If he contacts Kimber they will offer him full MSRP on that pistol toward any other of their products. That's what they did for me after they admitted they could not fix it.
I would also immediately cease any attempt to do any further work on that gun as the factory may deem your modifications "unauthorized" thus voiding the warrantee, absolving them of any liability.

Last edited by Cucamonga kid; 05-12-2019 at 10:34 AM.
Cucamonga kid is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

kimber solo carry forum

Click on a term to search for related topics.