The BubbaGunsmith Special - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Gunsmith
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Advertise

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2019, 02:59 PM   #1

The BubbaGunsmith Special

Note: No warranties were harmed in the making of the this thread. (OK … maybe a little, but nothing that can't be undone)

I've been a little under the weather lately and have been on light duty until at least a time after a hospital trip coming up Tuesday. So I have had plenty of sitin' around time this week. For something to do I've been Bubba Gunsmithin' my a$$ off all week.

First off I hit up Midway and CDNN for some cool parts and goodies. I've heard lots of the boys here talk about the Wilson Flat Spring kit, so I ordered two sets. My Kimber Classic from the 90s was due a re-spring and I decided to do my Sig TACOPS because I got it used and really don't know the mileage. Not much gunsmithing just drop-ins.

Then I went off the rails just a bit … working on what is essentially a new gun. I got some goodies for my SIG X5. All the pros say to change out the captured spring system for a one piece steel guide rod and a 13# 1911 spring....ok, easy enough. Bruce Grey at Grey Guns has a nice drop in kit for this. While I had it apart I also put in an APEX transfer bar. This shortens the take up and reset. These changes should make an already bad azz gun run even faster.

Then I pulled out the Bubba Special ….(shown here)… a Sig P320 Compact that started out as a base model 320, all black, white dots. I've changed damn near everything on this gun. First I added Sig night sights... why not right? Then I picked up an FDE frame for that two-tone cool. Add the TALON grip cover for grippy-ness.

I got serious with an APEX flat trigger and transfer bar kit. More bolt-ons with a Streamlight weapons light and Obsidian Arms extended base pads for extended grip and a little weight and balance.

Then came the Factory Safety recall … it was a voluntary thing but seemed like the thing to do. But it required a new GEN 2 APEX trigger/transfer bar for post recall actions. And since it was all apart (again) I upgraded from the 125 lumen Streamlight to the 400 lumen INFORCE light.

This week I dropped in a Sig TACOPS threaded barrel in the hope of getting a suppressor at some point. Couldn't beat the price, even if all it does is look cool and give a few more FPS.

I think I'm through with the BGSS for now, I think it looks great, it runs sweet, fast and is deadly at all ranges. I keep it stuffed with Liberty +Ps as my house gun. Mostly drop in stuff and many parts made by Sig for their modular gun so other than the APEX stuff I doubt I've hurt the warranty. I doubt too much could happen to it that I can't fix anyway. Oh, for the record, … over 3000 rds with exactly ONE failure to extract with some steel case ammo. It eats everything 115, 124, 141,even some 158s ... round nose or hp.

The 320s are great guns for those who like to work on their own guns. Easy to take apart and put back together and a ton of goodies and parts for them. Hope you enjoyed the June BubbaGunsmith report. …
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1255.JPG (3.07 MB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1251.JPG (2.88 MB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1252.JPG (2.45 MB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1254.JPG (2.41 MB, 6 views)

Last edited by PaulWVa; 06-30-2019 at 03:02 PM.
PaulWVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-30-2019, 03:18 PM   #2

My buddy has a 320 with a couple of frames and he loves it. Come to think of it my other buddy has one too, but his is used as a truck gun.

Nice work!

"If you want peace, prepare for war."
KCJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 03:44 PM   #3

Wow, Paul! When you go for it, you go for it!

I spent part of yesterday trying to go "full Apex" on My M&P 9L that I use for USPSA. The project stalled when I couldn't get the #@%$# rear sight off even with a pusher. Bought material to "Bubba-up" a homemade punch I can grind to the shape of the dovetail to use to tap (pound) it out the old fashioned way.

Old 06-30-2019, 05:02 PM   #4

Nice work Paul, I love to tinker.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 06:27 PM   #5

TEX, would be proud!!!

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 07:14 PM   #6

Great work. Stay busy!
PaulWVa likes this.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:28 PM   #7

Paul, did you see the new P320 XFIVE Legion coming out very soon.

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/p320-...+Legion+Launch
PaulWVa and Bish like this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:16 PM   #8

I'm beginning to see a distinct pattern develop here..... With guns in the house......

Retired = Lots of Time
Lots of Time = BubbaGunsmithing

And I'll admit to being a recent graduate of the Academy of BubbaSmithing myself!

Paul: Your project reminds of the small block Chevy thing from back in the day....zillions of aftermarket parts from mild to wild. Nice job on that Sig.
Chuck43, JC45, DeOlMan and 2 others like this.
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:20 PM   #9

Originally Posted by JC45 View Post
Paul, did you see the new P320 XFIVE Legion coming out very soon.

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/p320-...+Legion+Launch
I did. No saliva left.
JC45 and PaulWVa like this.
Bish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:34 PM   #10

Originally Posted by Rick in Oregon View Post
Paul: Your project reminds of the small block Chevy thing from back in the day....zillions of aftermarket parts from mild to wild. Nice job on that Sig.
Thanks! Yup the 320 is a hot rod alright. It was just one of those things... once I found out how easy it was to work on I just couldn't stop tinkering.

It does make a serious "house gun" night sights, 15 rd mags, blinding weapons light, super fast action and easy to teach the wife to use.

Thinking hard about getting another 320 in .45 or maybe .357 Sig . I need a new project ...
cousinmark and JC45 like this.
PaulWVa is offline   Reply With Quote