Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By KCJeep
  • 1 Post By WaveGuy
  • 4 Post By Steve in Allentown
  • 1 Post By Steve in Allentown

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2020, 06:52 AM   #1

10mm Extractor options question

Hello all, new member here. I will start with the questions and give a little backdrop afterwards:

1. Any idea of expected extractor life?
2. When it's time to replace, what size/type and brand is recommended for the 10mm?
3. Will another brand extractor have a significantly different slot for the FPS? If so, I'm thinking I'll have to purchase another oversized FPS and fit it with the new extractor.
4. How bad is it that I fitted the FPS to the stock extractor instead of the other way around?

Back story: I purchased a Kimber Eclipse Custom Target II 10mm around 20 years ago. I purchased it because I had a really good experience with a rented Colt DE prior. After purchasing, I had some hiccups, but also didn't have the same shooting experience I had with the Colt DE, so I kept it as a range gun which I barely ever shot (at the time I was using a S&W 1006 for bedstand duty... then moved to an H&K USP45 Expert when parts dried up).

With the pandemic, I used my spare time to make some changes to a couple pistols, including revisiting my Eclipse 10mm and making some changes I wanted to do many years ago: reduced radius FPS (EGW + fitting), 25lbs mainspring, WC BP sear spring (adjusted tension for grip safety), EGW 20lbs flat wire spring with WC FLGR, solid aluminum trigger with hidden overtravel stop (fitted; medium length), steel arched MSH, and a WC 9round magazine (grip change 20 years ago).

Since the changes I've only put a box of PMC 200gr FMJ through it but had zero malfunctions (with both the stock and WC 9 round magazine). It feels like a completely different gun with the changes, although it might be because the PMC is a little lower powered (20 years ago I mostly shot 135gr and 155gr Corbon, and 175 gr Win ST). I'm pretty much smitten with the gun now, but will be doing more reliability testing/tuning in the near future.

I don't know if the image will show up but I will try submitting:

Last edited by Scotty321; 09-12-2020 at 07:08 AM.
Scotty321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-12-2020, 08:00 AM   #2

Your Kimber extractor is fine, but I replaced mine with a Wilson bullet proof and it was definitely a higher quality steel. You'd never wear one of those out IMO. The Wilson is supposed to be good for something like 50k?

Kimber's FPS are a bit sloppy you won't likely need to replace unless you want to.

Nice gun by the way.
Scotty321 likes this.

"If you want peace, prepare for war."
KCJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 11:12 AM   #3

Originally Posted by KCJeep View Post
Your Kimber extractor is fine, but I replaced mine with a Wilson bullet proof and it was definitely a higher quality steel. You'd never wear one of those out IMO. The Wilson is supposed to be good for something like 50k?

Kimber's FPS are a bit sloppy you won't likely need to replace unless you want to.

Nice gun by the way.
Thanks for the reply.

WC doesn't list a 10mm extractor. Would the WC BF 9/40 or 45 extractor work? If so, which one?

I already replaced the Kimber FPS with the EGW flat bottomed oversized FPS (I radiused and fitted it).

Old 09-12-2020, 02:10 PM   #4

I recently tried to fit a Wilson 9mm/.40 extractor in a Kimber Series I compact Stainless. I could not bend it enough to get any tension at all. It seems like the Kimber .40 caliber extractor is closer to a .45 than a 9.

The original Kimber extractor was not fine, I wanted to replace it because of feeding problems. I re-shaped the extractor hook and now it is working but it looks like a crude part compared to something like a Wilson.
Scotty321 likes this.

Last edited by WaveGuy; 09-12-2020 at 02:13 PM.
WaveGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 04:47 PM   #5

Originally Posted by WaveGuy View Post
I recently tried to fit a Wilson 9mm/.40 extractor in a Kimber Series I compact Stainless. I could not bend it enough to get any tension at all.
I suspect Wilson makes their extractors to fit their pistols. They do not make their extractors to work with slides that don't match the dimensions of their slides.

Not long ago I was attempting to fit two Wilson extractors to two Caspian slides and could not because the Wilson locating pads were not tall enough to allow for setting the correct deflection. I had to use a couple of EGW Heavy Duty extractors to get the correct fitting. EGW makes their extractors with extra "meat" in the right spots to allow for correct fitting to any slide.

No extractor can be expected to be a drop-in fit. Here's a tutorial on how to correctly fit .45, 9mm, 9x23, .40, 10mm, and .38 Super extractors. You must set the deflection before you worry about tension. If you don't, you will most likely experience intermittant and unexplained feeding malfunctions.
Chuck43, 2sharp2, JC45 and 1 others like this.
Steve in Allentown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 03:11 AM   #6

Originally Posted by WaveGuy View Post
I recently tried to fit a Wilson 9mm/.40 extractor in a Kimber Series I compact Stainless. I could not bend it enough to get any tension at all. It seems like the Kimber .40 caliber extractor is closer to a .45 than a 9...
What caliber is the series 1 you were adjusting the extractor to? I don't see a 40 caliber extractor listed on the WC site.

Was the FPS notch on the WC extractor about the same size as the Kimber extractor? Wider?

Last edited by Scotty321; 09-13-2020 at 03:25 AM.
Old 09-13-2020, 03:16 AM   #7

Originally Posted by Steve in Allentown View Post
I suspect Wilson makes their extractors to fit their pistols. They do not make their extractors to work with slides that don't match the dimensions of their slides.

Not long ago I was attempting to fit two Wilson extractors to two Caspian slides and could not because the Wilson locating pads were not tall enough to allow for setting the correct deflection. I had to use a couple of EGW Heavy Duty extractors to get the correct fitting. EGW makes their extractors with extra "meat" in the right spots to allow for correct fitting to any slide.

No extractor can be expected to be a drop-in fit. Here's a tutorial on how to correctly fit .45, 9mm, 9x23, .40, 10mm, and .38 Super extractors. You must set the deflection before you worry about tension. If you don't, you will most likely experience intermittant and unexplained feeding malfunctions.
Thanks for the link. I bookmarked it for future reference.

Do you think that I should look into EGW instead of WC for my 10mm extractor? Will I have to modify the extractor to work with the Swartz safety? Does it matter if I use a 70 or 80 series extractor for the Swartz safety?

If WC only lists 9/38 Super and 45 ACP extractors, would I go with the 45? EGW specifically says that their extractor won't work with the Swartz safety. Does this just mean I need to modify the 40/10 EGW extractor to make it work with the Swartz FPSS?

Thoughts on Ed Brown extractors or other alternatives?

Edited: Misspelled Swartz.

Last edited by Scotty321; 09-13-2020 at 07:18 PM.
Old 09-13-2020, 06:14 AM   #8

Originally Posted by Scotty321 View Post
EGW specifically says that their extractor won't work with the Schwartz safety. Does this just mean I need to modify the 40/10 EGW extractor to make it work with the Schwartz FPSS?
Unfortunately, I have no experience with the Schwartz so cannot offer any advice. There must be folks here with hands-on experience who can.
Scotty321 likes this.
Steve in Allentown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10mm, extractor