Like Tree12Likes
  • 2 Post By T56impala
  • 4 Post By JBear
  • 3 Post By JC45
  • 3 Post By T56impala

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2020, 09:31 PM   #1

First trigger swap

I just completed my first trigger swap. Put a WC in my new SDS Tisas. Yeah, lipstick on a pig right? Actually, no. It's a really good handgun! I picked it up, never fired, second hand for $250. Figured this would be a good learning gun for me. I've actually never broken one down completely before. So this should give me confidence to totally take down my others. I'm not sure I'm going to like that series 80 stuff, but at least I know how the rest of it goes together now.

I did have one small burr in the frame. Took about 4 file swipes to clear it. A little sanding on a glass plate on the top of the trigger and it was good. Polished it up on the Baldor, oiled it up and it slid in perfectly. Set the depth and reset and that part is good. I'm very happy with myself honestly. I have a skeletonized hammer, mainspring housing and magwell to install next. I'd love to do a beavertail, but I'm afraid that's well beyond my capabilities. I don't want to mess up the finish at this point either.

So, I do have a question. If I buy a beavertail, what should I expect a real gunsmith to charge me to install it? Refinish down the road?
RustyIron and bad ninja like this.
Custom II Two Tone
Sig Sauer P238
Ruger Vaquero .45LC, 8 1/2" barrel
Remington R1S
SDS Tisas 1911-A1
Taurus PT 1911
Remington 11-87
Mossberg 930....with mods......
Ruger 10/22....with mods.....

Unfortunately they were all recently lost in a boating accident in the Gulf of Mexico.
T56impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-07-2020, 03:50 AM   #2

Sounds good man. Well, until you chickened out on the beavertail. This is no time to get emotionally attached! Wasn't the point of the cheap gun to learn on that you weren't concerned about the fallout from getting in deeper than your abilities? I think you'll find you're up to it.
Chuck43, MrWicked, JC45 and 1 others like this.
Old 11-07-2020, 04:51 AM   #3

I’m no expert but I replaced the beavertail on my Eclipse Pro II with a Kimber tactical bump beavertail. It’s been a while but I don’t remember it being difficult. I know I watched a video before attempting to replace the beavertail. You learn a lot by taking things apart. Remember to do your safety checks.
Chuck43, MrWicked and bad ninja like this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2020, 07:30 AM   #4

Originally Posted by JC45 View Post
Iím no expert but I replaced the beavertail on my Eclipse Pro II with a Kimber tactical bump beavertail. Itís been a while but I donít remember it being difficult. I know I watched a video before attempting to replace the beavertail. You learn a lot by taking things apart. Remember to do your safety checks.
Yes, no doubt! Good thing too. Once I swapped in the new mainspring housing the grip safety did not work. After several take downs, and tests, the tangs on the grip safety and the lip in the mainspring housing were not compatible. They did not let the safety engage. A few file swipes on the tangs and a few on the lip and she's good as gold.

I am going to attempt the beavertail. I have two to choose from. I'll let you know!
Chuck43, JC45 and bad ninja like this.
Custom II Two Tone
Sig Sauer P238
Ruger Vaquero .45LC, 8 1/2" barrel
Remington R1S
SDS Tisas 1911-A1
Taurus PT 1911
Remington 11-87
Mossberg 930....with mods......
Ruger 10/22....with mods.....

Unfortunately they were all recently lost in a boating accident in the Gulf of Mexico.
T56impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 04:12 AM   #5

Good, good.