Raptor Pro - front sight moved - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Gunsmith

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2016, 01:51 PM   #1

Raptor Pro - front sight moved

This is a new one on me. Went to the range today to play with my Raptor Pro for a while (I really like that gun the more I shoot it.) All of my shots were about three inches to the left. I figured I was messing up on my grip, trigger finger placement, and/or trigger pull. After a box of 50 I was a little more than frustrated. Hung up another target, pulled out another box of ammo and decided to inspect the gun, just in case.

Turned out that the front sight had moved to the right. The base of the sight was almost to the edge of the notch on the slide. I was appalled and dismayed. The gun club didn't have a press for a 1911 and I wasn't about to let some sales guy whack on my Raptor. Couldn't find any brass punch sets on the way home. So, I thought I'd try it myself with a very small steel punch. I wrapped the slide in a wide leather belt and put it in my vise. Using a very small steel punch and a 10 ounce hammer, I lightly tapped on the sight. I slowly moved back into place. I'll be keeping an eye on the Raptor for any further misbehavior. I'm also going to order a set of brass punches in case there is a next time or if I decide to change sights.
GoingSolo and JC45 like this.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-13-2016, 02:07 PM   #2

Good plan. I've too have moved/adjusted many sights with brass punches and the vice.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:07 PM   #3

I'd be really concerned as to why it moved. It takes some force to move it. If you get it where it belongs and will be happy with that, I'd suggest dropping a tad of Green Loctite in it's grove. That will keep it put.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
GoingSolo likes this.

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - ANJRPC - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
bhunted is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2016, 02:13 PM   #4

Originally Posted by bhunted View Post
I'd be really concerned as to why it moved. It takes some force to move it. If you get it where it belongs and will be happy with that, I'd suggest dropping a tad of Green Loctite in it's grove. That will keep it put.

I've used blue and red, but haven't seen green loctite. Probably just my sheltered life .
Old 01-13-2016, 02:15 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Sorry to hear that Gary, it usually takes an act of god to move one of Kimbers sights. I agree with what bhunted suggested, green loctite is the way to go.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:21 PM   #6

I just googled green loctite... They got purple too! Another day, another something new I learned thanks to KT!!
Insta-Gator, bhunted and JC45 like this.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:29 PM   #7

An old Indian saying (or made up by some old white guy): The day you do not learn something is the day you will die.

Anyway, I think it's going to be ok, but if it moves again I'll certainly put it back and add some Loctite.

BTW, I promise I have not dropped this gun or hit it with anything at all. Surly the sight would not move just from shooting. Could it?
GoingSolo and cousinmark like this.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 02:33 PM   #8

Raptor Pro - front sight moved

Originally Posted by Insta-Gator View Post
An old Indian saying (or made up by some old white guy): The day you do not learn something is the day you will die.

Anyway, I think it's going to be ok, but if it moves again I'll certainly put it back and add some Loctite.

BTW, I promise I have not dropped this gun or hit it with anything at all. Surly the sight would not move just from shooting. Could it?

Don't see how. It would have to move front to back. Maybe gremlins? As for Green Loctite, you will not find it in many retail stores. I had to order it online. You'd best get it because if you need it again, you may not find it and you'll be pist.

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - ANJRPC - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
bhunted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 02:38 PM   #9

That is odd given how Kimber presses in their sights and are known for being very tight.

A couple thoughts....

Put a spent .22 rimfire case on the end of a steel punch in a pinch.

Use a #2 pencil and rub very hard onto the surface to be in contact with a brass punch to prevent brass transfer that gets into the pores and is often hard to remove without harming the blued finish underneath.

Careful careful when using a punch on tritium night sights to prevent the shock from cracking the ampule and killing the sight or weakening the fit in the sight so it doesn't come out in future recoils.

Removing the sight and using a spring punch or very pointed hard steel punch to stipple the base of the sight will raise metal slightly. Then drift it back into the dovetail to snug one up.
Insta-Gator and GoingSolo like this.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:42 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Remember slots are cut and parts are made to be within plus and minis specs. If the slot was cut at the max. allowable size and the sight came in at the minimum allowable size then yes I could see where it could move from shooting.

Tags
raptor pro sight