Strange MSH question - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Gunsmith

Like Tree52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2016, 11:05 AM   #1

Strange MSH question

Cleaned the Raptor and decided to put the WFW spring back in, along with the chainlink MSH. Obviously, I was running both these parts prior to sending it back to Kimber three weeks ago.

Long story short, with the chainlink MSH installed the swartz tab (whatever you call it) sticks up ever so slightly and won't let the slide back on the frame without bumping. I can't tell you how many times I took the MSH off, repositioned the leaf spring to ensure everything was where it belonged, slid the MSH back on, compressed the main spring and inserted the pin. Every time the tab would stick up maybe 1/32" just enough that the slide would bump it. I finally ran out of patience and put the original plastic MSH back on. No problem. WTH is that all about?

If you've replaced your MSH, I'm looking for your best guess as to why this might happen. I'm thinking the MSH may be a little long and is restricting the grip safety slightly such that it will not allow full release. That is the only thing I can think of. I know when I first received and installed the chainlink MSH I had to file it slightly before I could get it fully inserted. Perhaps it needs another dose.

Comments?

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-19-2016, 11:19 AM   #2
Banned

I think you are right. The MSH is slightly pushing on the Swartz plunger lever.
montanaResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:38 AM   #3
Super Moderator

I'm terrible at diagnosing stuff I can't see and hold, is it possible it's a tad long... yes, but then you have to ask, why did it work before?

Old 02-19-2016, 12:21 PM   #4

Strange MSH question

Sure you are not squeezing the grip safety while putting on slide? If it worked before, what changed? Read somewhere some msh wont let grip safety out enough. But don't know why all of a sudden it don't work now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - ANJRPC - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
bhunted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 12:26 PM   #5

Excellent questions, Chuck. I had been asking myself that same thing.

Anyway, I had forgotten I have a micrometer. So, it was time to lay them on the table and see who's is longer.

Turns out the Kimber plastic MSH measured 2.006". The Ed Brown MSH measured 1.999". This made me scratch my head some more. Then I decided to check the profile. Eureka. The Ed Brown stainless chainlink MSH is thicker than the Kimber MSH. This, I believe, made the fit tolerance on the backstrap side way too tight against the grip safety. So, with a semi-steady hand and some 320 grit sand paper on the workbench, I polished the profile of the MSH so that I now have a bit more space between the MSH and the grip safety. Everything goes together easily now.

So, if any of y'all replace the Kimber MSH with a steel MSH, be sure to pay attention to the thickness between the two and compare the profiles. It will affect how things fit. If you are having way too much trouble getting the MSH pin back in through the frame, you may have a profile problem. Happy gunsmithing, y'all.

Last edited by Insta-Gator; 02-19-2016 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:30 PM   #6

Was gonna say I found this for ya but....,
http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i.../t-156426.html

Chuck43 likes this.

John, aka BHunted

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
Old 02-19-2016, 12:32 PM   #7

Originally Posted by bhunted View Post
Sure you are not squeezing the grip safety while putting on slide? If it worked before, what changed? Read somewhere some msh wont let grip safety out enough. But don't know why all of a sudden it don't work now.

John, thanks, but I've been doing this a long time and knew not to squeeze the grip safety. But I do appreciate your effort. FYI, with the slide off I was trying to carefully press the tab down manually, but it would not go back flush. That was when I knew I had an alignment or fit problem.

Thanks, again.
Chuck43, 2sharp2 and bhunted like this.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:35 PM   #8

Originally Posted by Insta-Gator View Post
John, thanks, but I've been doing this a long time and knew not to squeeze the grip safety. But I do appreciate your effort. FYI, with the slide off I was trying to carefully press the tab down manually, but it would not go back flush. That was when I knew I had an alignment or fit problem.

Thanks, again.

Me too. But doesn't mean my brain is working all the time. I've done it without realizing. Mostly due to lack of coffee. Glad it worked out for you.

Insta-Gator likes this.

John, aka BHunted

Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
Old 02-19-2016, 12:49 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Insta-Gator View Post
Excellent questions, Chuck. I had been asking myself that same thing.

Anyway, I had forgotten I have a micrometer. So, it was time to lay them on the table and see who's is longer.

Turns out the Kimber plastic MSH measured 2.006". The Ed Brown MSH measured 1.999". This made me scratch my head some more. Then I decided to check the profile. Eureka. The Ed Brown stainless chainlink MSH is thicker than the Kimber MSH. This, I believe, made the fit tolerance on the backstrap side way too tight against the grip safety. So, with a semi-steady hand and some 320 grit sand paper on the workbench, I polished the profile of the MSH so that I now have a bit more space between the MSH and the grip safety. Everything goes together easily now.

So, if any of y'all replace the Kimber MSH with a steel MSH, be sure to pay attention to the thickness between the two and compare the profiles. It will affect how things fit. If you are having way too much trouble getting the MSH pin back in through the frame, you may have a profile problem. Happy gunsmithing, y'all.
Nice work Gary, I'm glad to see that you solved the problem and have your gun back in working order.
Insta-Gator likes this.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:10 PM   #10

So glad that my Ed Brown msh worked without any filing on my PC Raptor...

Good job Gator. .
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote