Ultra Raptor Slide Problems - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Gunsmith

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2016, 11:26 PM   #1

Ultra Raptor Slide Problems

I have a question for our resident experts. I just "rescued" a Kimber Ultra Raptor. It showed some holster wear but for an EDC that is to be expected. I did not field strip it during function check and general inspection. Yes, my bad.

When I got the little fella home and was preparing to give him a good cleaning, I found that the slide would not remove from the frame. Yes, I did the proper procedures (This is my fifth Kimber and third ultra). I used both an after market guide rod "chock" and the Kimber provided wire. The slide retention pin came out and everything went fine until the slide hung up after about 3/4 of an inch forward movement. I reassembled for the stopping point. Safeties work, slide moves freely to the rear and hammer will fall.

I admitted a temporary defeat and searched the internet for an answer but found none. I watched three different youtube disassembly videos with no answers. As much as I like to think I am unique, there has to be someone out there who has experienced this problem and solved it.

Please, if the answer is so ridiculously simple, do not judge me harshly. Thanks in advance.
JCBnPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-15-2016, 11:46 PM   #2

I have a Raptor SS pro and I've experienced this. I've also had problems with reasembly that should be on this forum from maybe from January. I am not an armorer and there are really good guys on here that'll be better off to help you but I would try an spray some lube on it and work the slide by hand back and forth and then try it again. I am sorry I don't know why mine did it but it did loosen up and finally come off. I'm use to old Colts that were much looser and came apart and went back so much easier. Don't despair I really feel it's an easy fix. So I didn't help except hopefully eased your mind a little. I do know I had trouble if that little take down pin is not positioned properly, it was stopping the slide. Is it the proper little tool, or a close fit pin someone just added.?
JCBnPHX likes this.
Snake15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:01 AM   #3

Do you have an after market main spring housing or metal replacment on it or original? The magazine was not in gun right? but just checking.
JCBnPHX likes this.
fifthgear is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2016, 11:26 AM   #4

Originally Posted by fifthgear View Post
Do you have an after market main spring housing or metal replacment on it or original? The magazine was not in gun right? but just checking.
This weapon is all stock (or so I was assured) and the magazine was out. I have tried more lube and it still feels like it is catching on something solid. I can see that the barrel link is moving and is engaged by the slide retention pin. When fully assembled, it functions fine (have not/will not) fire it until I figure out or get it fixed. There is nothing that sounds like it is floating around in there and attempting to manipulate the slide while held in various angles is still not working.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:29 AM   #5
Banned

Oil, back and forth, rubber hammer lightly used. Likely a small burr that can feel very substantial, and is really only a small frustration that a mild bit of force will overcome.

I've several pistols that like to hang up a bit before coming apart.
JCBnPHX likes this.
montanaResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:32 AM   #6

The only time I've experienced that problem is after replacing the msh with after market one that needed a little fitting/gunsmithing.
JCBnPHX likes this.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:15 PM   #7

Originally Posted by fifthgear View Post
The only time I've experienced that problem is after replacing the msh with after market one that needed a little fitting/gunsmithing.
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

It was an aftermarket MSH. I looked at my Raptor Pro, went to the Kimber America website and it is a visibly different MSH. I watched the DIY video, reversed the process and it field stripped just right.

Apparently, the previous owner never did a detailed cleaning or field strip after he put on the new MSH. I am a little pissed that he did not mention the aftermarket part but it is my gain. All is well that ends well. A quick trip to my favorite gunsmith and I am rolling!

Thanks again to all that commented.
Marshall and Cybercycle like this.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:32 PM   #8

Try locating a 1911 gunsmith that supports ownership toward 3" 1911's. 'Old School' 1911 gunsmiths think 5" not 'cut down' 1911's. Finding a good gunsmith to admit that is the $80./90. an hour question.
JCBnPHX likes this.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 05:43 PM   #9
Banned

How can a MSH keep a slide from moving forward and off the frame?
montanaResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:36 PM   #10

Originally Posted by montanaResident View Post
How can a MSH keep a slide from moving forward and off the frame?
Not being much of a gunsmith I can't even name all the parts correctly but I'll give you what I think I know or what it appeared to look like. My metal MSH was just a tiny bit off if I tried to measure it. The result was that it was causing the grip safety to partially engage raising the little metal tab(see I don't know parts names) as if the grip safety was partially pressed. The same as if you were depressing the grip safety and trying to slide it off. Try it...same thing. Well, that's the best explanation I can give. I came here to let you more experienced guys help me learn and I appreciate you guys but being a novice I do try to help even if I am wrong.

Search tags for this page

kimber ultra raptor ii frame issues

kimber ultra raptor ii slide fit

kimber ultra raptor malfunction

Click on a term to search for related topics.