Mini 30 barrel cleaning? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Gunsmith

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2016, 10:36 AM   #1

Mini 30 barrel cleaning?

...OK, so I ordered a Mini 30, should arrive next week :-)
...in watching the Ruger tech tip videos they show the barrel being cleaned using a "pull through" flexible type system, from the chamber end rather than using a traditional rod and pushing down through the muzzle. My question is does it really matter which direction? I know with my Kimber pistols it's recommended to always work from the chamber end and it's easy enough to do with the rod I've had for years.
...any thoughts appreciated :-)
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-18-2016, 01:39 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Always clean from the chamber to the muzzle, you don't want to chance damaging the crown. If you use something like a bore snake just pull it through. If you're using a rod with a brush, jag or loop push from the chamber out through the muzzle then remove the brush, jag, or loop from the rod before withdrawing the rod from the barrel. A slight nick or scratch in the crown will ruin the accuracy of the barrel, then it's off to the gunsmith to have the barrel re-crowned.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:12 PM   #3

thanks Chuck :-)

...I suppose with the price of ammo an updated cleaning set up is a drop in the bucket. With my Marlin 39A and Super Blackhawk I've always gone in through the muzzle, pushed the brush through and used my thumb and finger as a buffer. Seeing the video got me wondering if there's any difference from an effectiveness standpoint? Does pulling a brush through the barrel clean any better than pushing it through from the other end?

Old 04-18-2016, 03:07 PM   #4

Originally Posted by cousinmark View Post
...I suppose with the price of ammo an updated cleaning set up is a drop in the bucket. With my Marlin 39A and Super Blackhawk I've always gone in through the muzzle, pushed the brush through and used my thumb and finger as a buffer. Seeing the video got me wondering if there's any difference from an effectiveness standpoint? Does pulling a brush through the barrel clean any better than pushing it through from the other end?
The whole point is "Do Not Damage The Crown of The Muzzle." Not which direction cleans the best.
Chuck43 likes this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:50 PM   #5

...right on 2sharp2

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
The whole point is "Do Not Damage The Crown of The Muzzle." Not which direction cleans the best.
I know it was somewhat silly question, seeing the "pull through" systems made me wonder? Figured I'd consult the experts just to be sure.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:07 PM   #6

Originally Posted by cousinmark View Post
I know it was somewhat silly question, seeing the "pull through" systems made me wonder? Figured I'd consult the experts just to be sure.
This might answer your question. I think the source was GunsAmerica site where I read that the Marines are changing back to the Vietnam era cleaning system "screw together rods and brush and patches." They had been using the gun bore "Snake." Men in combat said the snake was not working, did NOT clean good enough.
Plus the rod cleaning kits cost about $20.00 per unit as opposed to almost $100 per unit for the Snake kit.
cousinmark likes this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:08 PM   #7

thanks 2sharp2

I could see where the "old faithful" rod method would be more reliable for military for sure. If I'm not mistaken most AKs come with a rod. I do need to get a better one for rifles. My current long rod is one of the Hoppes 3 piece aluminum deals :-) It's about 20 years old so I've gotten my moneys worth out of it :-)
Old 04-19-2016, 01:07 AM   #8

cousinmark a lot of shooters that want to protect there barrels use one piece carbon fiber rods they come in various lengths I have a one piece rod I use myself. Some think the one piece is better because you do not have threaded sections that can come loose and possibly nick your barrel or chamber.
cousinmark likes this.

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:02 AM   #9
Super Moderator

I don't believe the military is as concerned with accuracy as they are with function. I've read many reports saying that during the Vietnam conflict we fired 50,000 .223 rounds for each enemy killed.

The G.A.O. (government accounting office) reported in 2011 that in Iraq and Afghanistan 250,000 shots were fired for every insurgent killed. The U.S. was going through so much ammo that manufacturers were struggling to keep up. I'm sure we all remember the ammo shortage that was with us during that time.

In short the military doesn't care if the average GI's rifle will hit anything they just want it to go bang when they pull the trigger.
2sharp2 and cousinmark like this.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:32 AM   #10

..thanks swca :-)

Yup, I'm leaning in the one piece direction over the pull through Otis or Ruger kit. It's hard to see how you can beat a traditional patch and jag? I was looking at the the Dewy options, I haven't seen anything in carbon fiber but am going to hunt around a little more.
I did see a YouTube post on cleaning these guns by gunblue490. He seems to actually know what he's talking about (unlike many on YouTube) and used a rod for the barrel. He also has a few on 1911s that I found informative.

Search tags for this page

cleaning ruger mini 30

Click on a term to search for related topics.