Kimber SIS Issues - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Gunsmith

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2016, 04:37 PM   #1

Kimber SIS Issues

I have been a big fan of the 1911, and Kimber for many years, read around the forums, but just recently joined as I'm at a bit of a loss on what to do next with my Kimber SIS.

So I have had my Kimber SIS since around 2009. At first, this thing was great, would run anything I ever fed it, and then some with no issues. Would also use most any mags, I have Wilson Combat, Kimber, Chip McCormick, and Nighthawk mags I use for it. None caused any issues.

Now over the last year, I can't seem to get in one range visit without every mag causing at least one to two failures to feed. (Yes, I have tried buying new mags as well, no luck)

The gun itself hasn't had close to 1000 rounds through it yet, and the recoil spring still feels as it did when it was new. That being said, I'm fairly certain that it isn't the recoil spring causing the problem.

The barrel itself is clean.

I have cleaned it extensively after every use. I tried froglube on it for a while, but that seemed to cause it issues for some reason, (works fantastically on every other gun I own), so I switched back to using Breakfree CLP on it. I have also tried hoppes.

Also, it seems the finish is chipping off with use. I mean in decent sized flakes all over the slide. Primarily I use winchester and federal ammo in it. This doesn't seem normal to me at all. It isn't carried anymore really due to the reliability issues I have been having with it, though it was carried for the first year and never showed any sign of holster wear. Stored now in a safe with desiccate packs that are in good shape, so no moisture is around it. Have also had rust seem to appear on the sights, which I have been able to easily remove with a wire brush. Just surface rust.

Grips also seem to constantly come lose even though the screws are in really tight. This issue has occurred since about month three of ownership, upon calling kimber, they said to call them back "after the full break in period."

I have even tried a full detail strip and clean to no avail.

Any idea what's going on here? What can I do to fix these issues, or is it time to call kimber about it?

Thanks in advance.
jweeks123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-30-2016, 04:47 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois jweeks123. What model Kimber SIS do you have Ultra, Pro or Custom?
jweeks123 likes this.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:48 PM   #3

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois jweeks123. What model Kimber SIS do you have Ultra, Pro or Custom?
Thank you.

I have the full sized Custom. It's the model without a rail. Wish they still made them, would love to find a Pro.

Old 04-30-2016, 05:25 PM   #4

Welcome from Northern Illinois. I would call Kimber about the finish and pick up another recoil spring. I'm sure others will chip in shortly with their thoughts.
Marshall and jweeks123 like this.
Jflytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 05:30 PM   #5
Super Moderator

I know you said the gun has close to 1000 rounds through it so I'm guessing it probably has the original recoil spring in it. My first suggestion would be to replace the recoil spring, Kimber puts the recoil spring life at 1500 rounds and given it's age if it's original I say that would be your best first step. It's a $10.00 fix if it works and close to time for a replacement anyway if it doesn't. If I were you I'd look into a Wilson Combat Flat Wire recoil spring, it's about the same money with a much longer life and it's a smoother operating spring.
Hoffbrew likes this.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:31 PM   #6

Welcome to KT and I second the recoil spring....
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 05:37 PM   #7

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
I know you said the gun has close to 1000 rounds through it so I'm guessing it probably has the original recoil spring in it. My first suggestion would be to replace the recoil spring, Kimber puts the recoil spring life at 1500 rounds and given it's age if it's original I say that would be your best first step. It's a $10.00 fix if it works and close to time for a replacement anyway if it doesn't. If I were you I'd look into a Wilson Combat Flat Wire recoil spring, it's about the same money with a much longer life and it's a smoother operating spring.
Indeed it is the original recoil spring. This one hasn't been shot much, when I say it hasn't had close to 1000 through it, I'm going to venture to guess it's around the 700 mark. I honestly, never really kept track of the round count in this one sadly. Usually I'm much better about that. I can give exact numbers on the AK, AR, Glock, and others for the matter.

I'll give it a go though. Worth a shot. I've honestly never had to replace one. Figured the spring would feel much weaker when it became closer to time for replacement, but it still seems quite stout. I've always been able to break these down without a tool, though using my thumbs to do it, still seems like it always has.

Anyway, I digress, I'll see if the LGS has anything that'll work for this one. Should I just look for a spring to fit any full sized 1911? Is that wilson flat wire spring rather common around? Kentucky Gun Co is literally 1.2 miles from my house, so I intend to give that a try first and see.

Thanks guys. I'll post back in about 1-2 weeks once I know more. All dependent upon when I can get a spring, or when I can get one delivered if I have to go that route.

Though, should I go ahead and do this now, or wait to see what Kimber has to say about the finish coming off prematurely? I'll see if i can get some decent pics of what I mean on this posted up.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:40 PM   #8

Here's an example of the finish wear I'm speaking of.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (1.41 MB, 20 views)
Old 04-30-2016, 05:55 PM   #9

I would consider a wilson combat recoil kit if you are going replacement route at this point. As others have pointed out, you are less than half way to replacement based on your round count. Since this is happening across different mags and ammo its most likely the gun. You might just want to get RMA and have Kimber tune it up, I expect thats where you will end up.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:01 PM   #10

Im no expert but....you said the grips were on tight ? Maybe too tight. You try to buy #60 O rings at lowes and see if that will allow a tight grip without possibly compressing the grips against the magazines. Just a thought maybe Chuck or Mike 240 or some of the others have additional ideas.
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

kimber sis 2016

Click on a term to search for related topics.