Curiosity about lubricating a Kimber - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Gunsmith

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2016, 09:59 AM   #1

Curiosity about lubricating a Kimber

I am curious as to see who uses grease on their Kimber 1911s. I use gun grease on all my firearms, including my Springfield TRP Operator. Never had a problem with any of them. However, I do like to read through the owner's manual of every gun I purchase and Kimber says to use only high-quality oil, no grease. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!
Korean War
Nubs0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-03-2016, 10:24 AM   #2

Been using Hoppe's gun oil since the 60's when Dad first let me start shooting. My Grandfathers guns still all function fine and show very little wear. Never use grease. Not that it will happen but could get in the internals and gum up the works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
glokrok likes this.
Albert.Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:29 AM   #3

Originally Posted by Nubs0311 View Post
I am curious as to see who uses grease on their Kimber 1911s. I use gun grease on all my firearms, including my Springfield TRP Operator. Never had a problem with any of them. However, I do like to read through the owner's manual of every gun I purchase and Kimber says to use only high-quality oil, no grease. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!
No grease on my Kimbers...FP-10 does the job for me and my Kimbers as well some other firearms in my safe.
meschweitzer and RugerLuger like this.
OGCA - Life Member
Cybercycle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2016, 10:52 AM   #4

I started using the Breakthrough high purity oil several months ago, had always used Hoppes. The new stuff is thinner and I think it works better for the Micro. For my Pro I don't think it would make a difference. As the manual says no grease, I haven't gone there.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:52 AM   #5

CLP and Hoppes for me, never any problems
glokrok likes this.

Always be ready - 5.11
Hoffbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:58 AM   #6

Never used grease on anything but my car. Hoppe's #9 and BreakFree CLP for a very, very long time.

The Stainless Raptor Ultra I bought used from a KT member had been FrogLubed, it felt really smooth racking the slide by hand. Problem was I didn't have any Froglube so I added CLP then shot the crap out of it with no issues.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:15 AM   #7

Originally Posted by Nubs0311 View Post
You have to look at 1911s in general and then Kimber specifically to help understand that question. I'll give you my opinion.

Kimbers are tight fitting. Compared to some other non 1911 guns very tight and in some cases and even very tight compared to other 1911s. That tightness has helped with me personally never ever hearing of anyone saying a Kimber is not accurate.

But Kimber is a mass production gun. There are variances from gun to gun. The main resistance or friction on a 1911 is not the tight slide rails. Even the tightest slide rails takes virtually no amount of force to slide maybe measured in less than an ounce compared to many pounds of recoil spring. Sure they will wear and need lubrication being metal against metal but that's not a major concern. The most resistance is in chambering a round (stripping a bullet from magazine and loading into chamber) and barrel fitment causing most of the friction of the slide in various places and locking lugs. The reason that Kimber recommends 500 round break-in is because instead of spending countless hours with a very very skilled gunsmith properly fitting the barrel they get it close and tight and just shooting it will wear it in to where less resistance (friction) will occur and it becomes much smoother. A properly smith'd barrel would not require a 500 round break-in but the cost would be enormous and that is not the market that Kimber targets. Many are so close to a great fit, although tight, that they are great running from day one out of the box. But I have found to keep it shooting more reliably before that smooth barrel operation a few more pounds on the recoil spring helps along with polished feed ramp and chamber.

Because a Kimber is built so tight it makes one decide with a new Kimber with a dragging barrel what is best...to slick it up to help it be more reliable before it has worn in the friction spots or put up with some failures for it to be able to wear in faster with metal scraping. Most choose slicker than snot. For a range gun fired little and cleaned often I think a light film of grease is less of a mess, easier to apply, and does a great job. On the other hand if the pistol is a carry/field gun and exposed to lots of dirt, grime, lent, burnt powder, etc the tightness of a Kimber will collect debris on the stickier grease and cause friction or gum up which is not so good.

As a recap I think that either light grease or oil works fine on a broken in smooth shooting Kimber. Grease and dirt don't get along in tight fitting guns but short term works very well. Just my opinion and I am wearing flame retardant coveralls.

Last edited by fifthgear; 05-03-2016 at 12:37 PM. Reason: added "rails" for clarification
fifthgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 01:34 PM   #8

My manual says no grease,so I don't use it.I lube all metal to metal surfaces with Gunslick Ultra-Lube gun oil.I've never,ever had a problem with my SCCHD.
MPO Southy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 03:09 PM   #9
Super Moderator

I run Shooters Choice FP-10 or Pro-Shot Zero Friction on all my guns. Once my carry guns are well shot in (1000+ rounds) I use Brian Enos Slide Glide on the rails of them. I find that the grease stays in place better then oil when a gun is sitting in a holster 16 hours a day 7 days a week. I've never had a single problem running grease on my Kimbers.
Marshall and fifthgear like this.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:47 PM   #10

Hoppe's and Brian Enos Slide Glide....
Chuck43 likes this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

how to oil kimber micro 9 mm

kimber micro 380 lubrication
kimber micro 9 lube points
kimber recommended oil
pro shot zero friction gun oil forum
should ! oil kimber 9mm micro
Click on a term to search for related topics.