Super Carry Pro Safety Issue - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Gunsmith

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2016, 12:37 PM   #1

Super Carry Pro Safety Issue

Hello all, while at the range Thursday I experienced my safety coming loose after about 200 rounds.

What happened was that the left side switch of the ambidextrous safety came loose. It did not fall out but actually loosened to the point that the pin which is operated by the slide lock and the safety was allowed to extend so that it was between the safety lever and the frame of the pistol. The pistol was no longer usable and I took it home to clean and ponder.

After looking at it on the bench and not seeing any sign of broken parts I was able to use a small piece of wood to retard the pin out of the way and re-install the left side safety switch.

Currently it looks alright and seems to function but I have not been back to the range.

My question is simply, has this happened to anyone else? How serious is this? Obviously this is a good reason to seek advice from Kimber Customer Support but since they are no doubt observing Memorial Day, you all are my first stop.

Russ
Old 05-28-2016, 06:50 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Basically I have two of them a Super Carry Pro and a Classic Carry Pro, (same gun different finish and grips). The SCP has almost 3000 rounds and the CCP 1000 rounds through them and both safeties are as tight as the day I got them.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:10 PM   #3

Very strange for me. I have never kept a good count of rounds through but I would guess I am around 8000 now. Not sure what contributed to this but I need some assurance as this is my EDC.

Thanks for your input. I will call Kimber and will post a follow up.

Russ

Old 05-28-2016, 07:23 PM   #4
Super Moderator

If your round count is actually at 8000 rounds and a part failed I wouldn't condemn the gun. My oldest Kimber has over 22,000 rounds through it and it has gone through a few minor parts along the way. The older (not years but rounds) a gun gets the more I expect something to fail. Give Kimber a call and I'm sure they'll take care of you.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:07 AM   #5

I never intended to condemn anything, after something like 8K rounds and EDC for about the last two years, it should be obvious I like the weapon!

I simply wanted to know if anyone else has had this experience and if this required a trip back to Kimber?

I am well aware that 'Feces Occurs' and the main contributor to this particular occurrence may be operator error! Just looking for some background.

Russ
glokrok likes this.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:52 AM   #6

Update

Spoke with Allan at Kimber first thing this AM. Explained the situation and asked if the weapon was safe after replacing the part in question?

He said they should look it over. I expected that as he could not guarantee what he had not seen. I just got the RMA and instructions. Kimber pays for shipping and will address any issues.

What's to complain about? So far I am happy!

Russ
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:48 PM   #7

Just heard from Alan at Kimber. Apparently the repair for the safety involves a new frame and a new serial number so my Super Carry Pro will have to be returned to an FFL. He mentioned that it will be several weeks to get the frame and do the switch but then the gun will be sent to the dealer whose name I gave.

He apologized that Kimber would not be able to cover any local fees associated with the transfer. I had to interrupt him at that point to tell him that I would not expect them to do anything of the sort! I bought the weapon new in early 2013 and the stated warranty has been over for several years so I am very happy that they are covering the repair under warranty which includes paying shipping costs for the return to them and back to my FFL.

When I asked about the reason for the failure of the safety, specifically was it something I should have been doing he told me that it was just one of those things. Shouldn't have happened and most likely will not again.

We all complain about the time our weapons are away from our hands but I couldn't complain about the customer service in this case.

When I went up to my LGS in person to tell them about the transfer, the guy there said Kimber had just called.

Nice!

Russ
Insta-Gator and JC45 like this.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:53 PM   #8

Great customer service is always nice to see. Every time I've called Kimber I've been impressed.
azguy1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 02:20 PM   #9
Super Moderator

I'm glad to hear that things have been worked out to your satisfaction and your new old gun is on it's way back to you.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:35 PM   #10

Glad to hear everything worked out for you BugSlayer. Well worth the cost of a transfer.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote