Kimber Talk Forums banner

Trying 3 different Wilson Combat Mags

3K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  unleashd 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm trying 3 different WC mags to see which will work best when I install a mag well. One is the standard plastic pad which sticks out a bit and is not pleasing to the eye....one is the lo-profile steel base pad (Yay. Go steel) and one is the Elite Tactical Magazine with a base pad that is shaped to fill the mag well AND it holds 8 rounds! with virtually the same length mag. I just shot all three. All performed as advertised. The lo-profile will end up flush with the mag well bottom, hiding the unsightly WC base pad. (Why can't they make machined steel base pads that really finish out the look of the grip bottom?) I'm leaning toward buying more of the lo-profile mags, but the elite tactical looks kinda sharp!

#7 ·
Yeah. It seems to be a given that the Wilson Combat mags make a difference. I'm at 1200 rounds with this gun with 1 FTF. That's 1 too many. I've worked the WC standard mag in with my Kimber mags lately, but with 3 WCs now, I left the 4 Kimber mags at home. Until I have a FTF with a WC mag, I'll blame the one hiccup on the standard Kimber mag.

#8 ·
It does look pretty hip and 1 extra round is, well...if you have 8 attackers, you might be glad to have an eight round magazine!

I'll probably have my grips (Adam Brown is making) in a week and will install the mag well then. Once I see which I like best with the mag well, I'll order a few more.

Btw, how many mags do you like to carry in your range bag? I've been using 5 which seems to be a nice number so I'm not stopping to load mags every two minutes.

#9 ·
I have 3 but I prefer using 1. Stopping to reload helps to settle me down for the next grouping. That way if I'm not happy with the last group or had a flyer, I can settle in and start over after the reload.

Reactions: Ultraman
#14 ·
Here are the three Wilson Combat mags from the rear which shows some of how they get 8 rounds in the space of 7. The mags are the lo-profile (7round), the ETM (8 round) and the standard (7 round). You can see that the ETM goes deeper into the base pad giving extra room for about 1/3rd of a round. What you can't see is that the follower, convex on the 7 round mags is concave on the ETM which provides more room for about 1/3rd of a round. The final 3rd is just magic.

Attachments

#15 · (Edited)
Wilson makes 8 round mags the same length as your 7s. That is the #47 mag. The difference in the two is the conveX or concave follower. They have been around for 30 years I think. The ETM are fairly new and a longer tube body that sticks out of a gun with no magwell.

Steel base plates for the 47s are made by Wilson. Dawson precision makes some slightly different though maybe aluminum. Due to the width of the ETM basepads I occasionally on a speed reload get the flesh from the heel of my hand pinched between the base pad and wall of the mags well creating a tear or blood blister. Something to consider. I like the 8 round 47DE. Which has the .625 base pad. But that is for competition or duty but not flush enough for concealment.

On the 47 meant to be 8rd it has an extra witness hole in the body. But the 8 rd spring and follower will make your 7s into 8s ( minus the witness hole).

#16 ·
The two WC mags that I ordered should be delivered today!!! I got 3 mags from the previous owner - 2 WC and 1 Kimber. All 3 have have had 1 FTF so far. I'm not sure if it was the ammo or something else. The springs inside them don't feel right to me. When I get the new mags in, I'll compare them to determine the difference. Nevertheless, I should have 2 good mags and 3 practice mags :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.