Noob w/ ? re: perceived recoil of Ultra & Compact CDP II Models - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2014, 11:52 PM   #1

Question Noob w/ ? re: perceived recoil of Ultra & Compact CDP II Models

Hi all! This is my first post on a firearm forum, so be gentle.

I am looking to make my first Kimber purchase and I am trying to choose between the Compact CDP II and the Ultra CDP II. I had chance to fire a Pro Carry II recently and really enjoyed the experience. It felt great in my hand and the recoil was controllable. Unfortunately, none of the ranges in my area have an Ultra to rent. I am wondering if anyone could detail for me the difference in the perceived recoil between the Compact and Ultra models. I am planning on carrying the pistol...not everyday, but fairly frequently. I am used to carrying smaller pistols (Sig P238 and M&P Shield) so the Ultra would be preferred. That being said, I am somewhat recoil sensitive, so if it has much more recoil than the Pro/Compact, then I will probably stick with that. I am especially interested in any Ladies opinions, but would love to hear from the Guys as well.

Thanks in advance!
turtle93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-02-2014, 12:26 AM   #2

The recoil of an Ultra in 45 will be more than both you current pistols. My experience is that most of the stoppages or malfunctions in the 3 inch guns are shooter induced if the weapon is fitted correctly. The gun is just more dependent on a firmer grip and set or locked wrist more so than the longer guns. Due to the lighter slide and shooter stroke, the gun cycles violently.

But if you are not encountering stoppages with the Shield in 9mm or 40 you should be okay with the Ultra. Or after a slight learning curve.

The timing of the short guns make extractor fitment that much more critical. The breechface to inner claw surface should be .075" (for a .45 acp) with a bit more bevel. The Kimber 45s tend to be .069". This is why they are more dependent on fresh recoil springs on a short round count replacement schedule and firm wrist as they rely on spring pressure to force the rim under the usually too tight extractor.
Mike240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 12:57 AM   #3

Originally Posted by Mike240 View Post
The recoil of an Ultra in 45 will be more than both you current pistols. My experience is that most of the stoppages or malfunctions in the 3 inch guns are shooter induced if the weapon is fitted correctly. The gun is just more dependent on a firmer grip and set or locked wrist more so than the longer guns. Due to the lighter slide and shooter stroke, the gun cycles violently.

But if you are not encountering stoppages with the Shield in 9mm or 40 you should be okay with the Ultra. Or after a slight learning curve.
I've never experienced issues with performance due to "limp wristing" or poor grip. When I shot the Pro Carry II the firearm performed flawlessly and the recoil was controllable. I was just hoping that I could get some information about the recoil of the Ultra in comparison to the 4" models since I am unable to get my hands on an Ultra.
turtle93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2014, 06:40 AM   #4

Can't help with the Pro/Ultra comparison, but ...

Welcome to

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:31 AM   #5
Super Moderator

If you're recoil sensitive and comfortable shooting a pro size then I suggest you stick with it. In addition the being a lighter gun the compact and the ultra also have smaller grips.

ULTRA
3 bull barrel and a short grip.

COMPACT
4 barrel and a short grip.

PRO
4 barrel and a full length grip.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:55 AM   #6

I have the Pro and love it, I had a M&P shield in .40 and found the recoil to be to much for me to enjoy the Pro is easer to control, I have tried a ultra and did not like the recoil, found it to be a lot like the shield in .40
v35b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:26 AM   #7

We have a PCII 45 and an Ultra TLE and yes the Ultra does have more recoil to it but it's manageable.The Ultra is my girlfriends and she had a Solo which also kicks quite a bit so it was not a big change for her to get use to.Welcome to the forum from StLou.

Last edited by Marshall; 03-02-2014 at 08:43 AM.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:39 AM   #8
Super Moderator

turtle93, you're getting a lot of great answers to your question so I'll just add, Welcome to the forum!!

Ohio Chl holder
NRA member
Old age isn't for sissy's
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:45 AM   #9

First of all welcome.

I have a SC Pro HD model, an Ultra plus model, and 3 other Ultra models.
To me between all of them the noticeable difference in recoil is not very much, I like the 3' barrel and the full size grip of the SC Ultra plus, it just gives me more control with out the weight of the HD Pro model.
By the way all of the previous posts give good info.

Good luck in your quest.

" Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is"

Last edited by Josey Wales; 03-02-2014 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Islander beat me to it!
Josey Wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:45 AM   #10

Welcome to the forum. good luck with your choice.
bigdog10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page
kimber cdp ii pro vs kimber cdp ii compact

kimber ultra cdp ii vs compact cdp ii

recoil kimber ultra vs
www.ultratorent
Click on a term to search for related topics.