Pro Carry II Brass Ejection to Face - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2016, 07:59 AM   #1

Pro Carry II Brass Ejection to Face

Just picked up a used Pro Carry II and noticed the brass tends to eject almost vertically and slightly to the rear, often hitting me in the face. This happened fairly frequently to both me and my brother and was independent of the ammo or magazine used.

I did a search through these forums and Google but basically didn't find anything much useful. Thinking it is an extractor issue, I checked the tension per the Brownells instructions at the following site:

1911 Auto Extractor Adjustment | World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools - BROWNELLS

My Pro Carry initially came in around 11 ounces - roughly the same as my Range Officer, which has a normal ejection pattern. The ejector didn't appear to have been modified so I adjusted my extractor to 24 ounces figuring it was close enough to the Brownells recommendation of 25 - 28 ounces to work. I also polished the extractor to reduce any friction that may be present. Unfortunately, none of this changed the brass ejection pattern.

Although a death grip on the pistol helped a little, the brass still tended to go more vertical than I think it should. So what is the consensus here? Ideas?
starnovi likes this.
VA-Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-28-2016, 08:13 AM   #2

I see this is your first post...Welcome! Now on to your question...How about a little more info with respect to ammo used? I have a new Aegis that tossed empties toward my arm and face. It turned out to be an ammo problem...loads were a bit light on the powder. Once I tried ammo that had the proper amount of powder charge, the brass went where I expected to go.
starnovi likes this.
OGCA - Life Member
Cybercycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:30 AM   #3

This happens with both commercial ball and my reloads (230 gn ball at 800 fps).

Old 06-28-2016, 08:49 AM   #4

Originally Posted by VA-Termite View Post
This happens with both commercial ball and my reloads (230 gn ball at 800 fps).
Well...you might try one more thing before letting a gunsmith try to noodle out the solution.

I have one more personal experience that might relate your issue...Even though it was not a Kimber, when the recoil spring went soft on my pistol (brand doesn't matter for this discussion) brass left the chamber slowly and often dropped to my feet or hit my arm. Have you considered a replacement recoil spring...either a stock Kimber replacement (assuming your pistol has not been moditied) or the better spring/guide rod combination kits from suppliers like Wilson? Otherwise, I think it will be time for a trip to your favorite gunsmith (or Kimber if you can determine it has all the OEM parts still in the pistol...they will not work on a modified pistol). Good luck and let us know what you find.
OGCA - Life Member
Cybercycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:59 AM   #5

I guess you have a point. Recoil spring is probably my next step. Thanks for the insights.
Cybercycle likes this.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:11 AM   #6

Mike240 will know where to start. He should be on here soon.
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:59 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois VA-Termite, you say you purchased the gun used. If you didn't get an owners manual with it you can download a copy from Kimber. The recoil spring in pro size guns (4") should be changed every 800 rounds. A Wilson Combat Flat Wire Spring Kit is a great upgrade for your gun giving you a 40,000 round recoil spring life.
Pops6116 likes this.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:02 PM   #8

Ejection pattern can be affected by the extractor, ejector, and/or recoil spring. Sometimes the extractor will "clock" because of a loose fit with the firing pin stop. If the firing pin stop and ejector are properly fit, and the recoil spring is good, and ejection pattern is consistent, then the issue is most likely due to the shape of the ejector. Google "1911 ejector shape" to find lots of good info on how to fix the issue.
Molon labe
WhiteEagle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 05:54 PM   #9

Current status - no change in ejection pattern. I have changed the recoil spring to a Wolff Extra Power. No discernable difference. I have fooled with the extractor and shaped / polished the hook, etc. I then reduced tension to where it wouldn't reliably clear the chamber. Then slowly increased the tension until FTE problems were down to about 10%. No change. I increased the extractor tension until it was in the 25 - 28 oz range and still no joy. Finally, I swapped out the extractor and also saw no noticeable change. I'm reluctant to change the ejector since it appears to be original to the pistol. My suspicion is that the ejector may be too short but that is just speculation on my part.

I'm starting to think this issue is inherent to my Pro Carry II. Does anyone else with a Pro Carry have this issue?
Old 07-20-2016, 06:03 PM   #10

My Crimson Pro Carry did the same thing. Brass in face every mag. Gets old.