Tough choice and need advise: Pro-Carry II vs Ultra Carry II - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2016, 06:07 PM   #1

Tough choice and need advise: Pro-Carry II vs Ultra Carry II

As subject shows, I'm at the cross-roads between going with a Pro-Carry II or an Ultra Carry II.

- PC II in two-tone; UC II in Stainless.
- weight, sights, barrel and dimensions all other specs are all within an inch and two ounces apart.
- Stainless slide might be less to show holster wear over Matte Black polished
- Barrel's ramped in the UC II and stainless steel matched grade bushing in the PC II.
- Recoil 18 lbs. on UC II and 22 lbs. on the PC II
- Both are Rosewood grips. UC II w/Kimber logo. PC II rosewood/checkered.

I feel that both will conceal about the same even in summer clothing with a good IWB holster and maybe even a OWB. the PC II having tad more printing due to its longer grip length.

Plan to take out to the range as often as I can. Figuring about 100-200 rounds before carrying. Felt recoil is also a concern.

Thank you for reading my post and chiming in with your thoughts.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:28 PM   #2

I have Ultras and pros. I carry one of my Ultras everyday . The difference in the size does make a difference in comfort of carrying all day. Especially when your seated. If I was carrying everyday I would go with Ultra. Then get a pro or custom for playing at the range. Wear? It's your carry it's going to show wear and that's OK. I don't worry about mine. I show wear, my boots show wear, why not my gun. Lol

Zoomybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 06:39 PM   #3

Originally Posted by Zoomybaby View Post
I have Ultras and pros. I carry one of my Ultras everyday . The difference in the size does make a difference in comfort of carrying all day. Especially when your seated. If I was carrying everyday I would go with Ultra. Then get a pro or custom for playing at the range. Wear? It's your carry it's going to show wear and that's OK. I don't worry about mine. I show wear, my boots show wear, why not my gun. Lol
Thanks. How's felt recoil between the two models?

Patina is good. But will the stainless hold better over time?

Old 07-02-2016, 07:11 PM   #4

Originally Posted by CWO USN View Post
Thanks. How's felt recoil between the two models?

Patina is good. But will the stainless hold better over time?
Ultra has a bit more recoil for sure. I do wish I had a Ultra in stainless. But I have carried a pro and a Ultra and the Ultra is much easier to carry. I will not carry anything bigger now.

CWO USN likes this.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:14 PM   #5
Super Moderator

I love this......... first I own Ultra's, Pro's and Custom size Kimbers and I consider Zoomy a good friend. Well, to be honest we both love his wife, actually to be totally honest zoomy and I and a couple of hundred other Kimber talk members love her .

I'm carrying an Ultra Tactical right now but as I've always said in the event that I had to get rid of all my guns and only keep one it would be my Super Carry Pro.

I feel the Pro size (4") guns are the best of both worlds, they conceal better then the 5" Customs and almost as good as the Ultra's (3"). Because of the longer sight radius they shoot more accurately then the 3" Ultra's. If recoil is a concern then the longer 4" barrel will shoot a mite easier then the 3" but if you're an experienced .45 shooter you're not going to be bothered by either.

Put a $50.00 Wilson Combat flat wire recoil spring Kit in the Pro and you're good for 40,000 rounds without worrying about changing recoil springs and you have the advantage of being able to break the gun down without needing any tools other then your own two hands.

I know I said I'd keep the Super Carry Pro but I have a Classic Carry Pro sitting in my safe with some fantastic looking bone grips that would kill me to give up so maybe I lied about keeping the SCP in favor of the CCP.
Zoomybaby, Jflytle and CWO USN like this.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:22 PM   #6

The problem I had with carrying the pro was the end of the barrel digging in when I sit down. My pro is still my favorite I juat don't want to carry it. Chuck my wife sends her love.

Old 07-02-2016, 07:25 PM   #7

This is for Chuck

Last edited by Zoomybaby; 07-25-2016 at 07:18 PM.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:31 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Honestly I've never had a problem with the barrel digging in when I sat down. I don't know what kind of holster you use but I have both 3" and 4" OWB Wright Leather Works holsters and can't tell the difference when wearing either one.

PS (for those new to the forum this is the part when I joke with my good friend) give your wife a hug and kiss for me and tell her I can't make it Tuesday........ with the new puppy coming I hope she'll understand.
Zoomybaby and CWO USN like this.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:34 PM   #9

Do you have you new puppy now?

Old 07-02-2016, 07:38 PM   #10
Super Moderator

No, not until my son and his family get here tomorrow.

Zoomybaby likes this.

Search tags for this page

kimber pro carry 2 grip size

kimber ultra carry ii vs pro carry ii

kimber ultra vs custom series

Click on a term to search for related topics.