Kimber Custom II vs Colt Mk IV Series 70 (new version) - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2014, 10:12 PM  

Kimber Custom II vs Colt Mk IV Series 70 (new version)

I stopped by the gun store the other day, intent on picking up a new 1911. Actually, I was thinking of getting a Kimber Custom II, because I have some fancy grips that are looking for a new home.

I also looked at a Para 1911, but I was extremely disappointed in the qualiy. The trigger rattled around and it just didn't seem like a Kimber.

Then the owner told me to hold off, because he has a couple of Colt Series 70 pistols coming in- the new versions. So I held off for now.

I'm still thinking of the Kimber though. I'm wondering if the Colt is even worth the money. I do like the high polished blue though.

What would you guys do?
Old 03-10-2014, 10:26 PM  
Super Moderator

I have no experience with the new Colts, so I guess I'd take the dealers advice and wait to see them. You know what the Kimber is like!

Ohio Chl holder
NRA member
Old age isn't for sissy's
Old 03-10-2014, 10:36 PM  

I don't know. The Colts are nice, but don't really have the features I like. I would be getting a Colt just to say I have a Colt. I'm not really sure it's worth the extra money, or the wait.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:41 PM  
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
I don't know. The Colts are nice, but don't really have the features I like. I would be getting a Colt just to say I have a Colt. I'm not really sure it's worth the extra money, or the wait.
OK then buy the Kimber!

Ohio Chl holder
NRA member
Old age isn't for sissy's
Old 03-10-2014, 11:04 PM  

Some people around here would just buy the Kimber and then, if you like the Colt, buy the Colt too.

Is my jealousy showing?

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Old 03-10-2014, 11:12 PM  

Wink Look hard..........and Wise!

I had a Series 70 Colt National Match Gold Cup back in the mid-70's. For what it is worth, I don't feel that the Colt even starts to measure up to a Kimber (I have a Custom Stainless II).

Kimber .45 & Bianchi M57 Holster.JPG

Yes, the finish on a Colt is beautiful, no doubt. However, the craftsmanship of the Kimber far exceeds the Colt. I never had any function problems with either the Colt or my Kimber. Of the two, the Kimber was easily twice as accurate and that is matched up against a supposedly hand fitted Gold Cup, not a standard Series 70.

If I were you, I'd take a look at the Colt, but take a very close inspection of the quality, fit and features and compare that to a Kimber. Given an equal review, you will choose the Kimber over the Colt. BTW, you also pay a lot of money just to have old Sam's name on you pistol. Pay for a great pistol, not a good name!!

All My Humble Opinion!!!!
Sketter likes this.

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter
Old 03-11-2014, 05:41 AM  

I don't have shooting experience with the newer Colts either. But in the last years they have reportedly upgraded all there tooling to cnc etc. the fit and finish on most seem to have improved on the ones I have handled. Their ergonomics are not the same as the Kimbers in regards to the higher undercut trigger/front strap or the grip safety in the XSE line up. But this is irrelevant in the series 70 traditional pistols. I do not feel the triggers are as good as Kimbers right from the box. Again. I have no range time with them. My colts are over 25 years old.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:37 AM  
Super Moderator

I got a chance to shoot one before Christmas, a friend at the range just got it and he asked if I'd like to try it. I went through 3 magazines and even though it looked nice and seemed well made I didn't care for it. I was shooting my Sig Sauer 1911 C3 that day and I felt the Sig was the better gun and my Sig doesn't measure up to any of my Kimbers. I'd suggest you see if you can shoot one before you make up your mind, everybody has different taste, you may like it, personally I'd stick with the Kimber.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:51 AM  

I just purchased a new kimber stainless II I had to order it from my local gun shop when they called to tell me it was in I went to pick it up.
When I got there I seen a new full size colt stainless for 75 less than I paid for my kimber. I checked the new colt out and the slide to frame fit seemed loose to me as did the grip safety, I could move the bever tail side to side quite a bit.
I left with my kimber and have no regrets. Just my opinion
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:08 AM  

If you can find an older Colt, go for it. I have my customized up for sale elsewhere, circa 1976... They are much better than the new ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - ANJRPC - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II

Search tags for this page

colt series 70 vs kimber

colt vs kimber 1911forum
kimber classic stainless vs colt gold cup
kimber custom 2 vs colt govt

kimber custom ii vs colt series 70

kimber vs colt

series 70 kimber

which should i buy colt stainless 70 series or colt stainless xse series

Click on a term to search for related topics.