She broke... - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2014, 07:25 AM   #1

She broke...

...In this weekend!!

Finally had a chance to get to the range and finish off the 500 round break in on my Pro Tac II. So far the pistol has worked nearly flawlessly except that yesterday I started having FTF issues with the kimber mag, the Wilson Mag has been 100%!
dougtrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-17-2014, 07:30 AM   #2

I just visited my GunSmith on Sunday morning and asked him about his experience with Kimber Mags. His words were" just use the Wilson Mags. No trouble with them. Put the Kimber one in storage". Oh me also told me that trying to put 8 rounds in the mags marked 8 rounds are trouble. The follower inside is changed to accommodate 8 rounds but have problems cycling rounds.The size of the mag is still the same size they have always been, just different inside which can cause issues. Hope this helps!
PatAz likes this.

Chuck
Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II
Kimber Micro9 Midnight Bronze CT
Kimber Micro9 Black CT
NRA Member

Last edited by Kimsey; 03-17-2014 at 07:34 AM.
Kimsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:08 AM   #3
Super Moderator

I have 10 Kimber Kim Pro Tac-Mags and they all function 100%.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:13 AM   #4

Originally Posted by dougtrd View Post
...In this weekend!!

Finally had a chance to get to the range and finish off the 500 round break in on my Pro Tac II. So far the pistol has worked nearly flawlessly except that yesterday I started having FTF issues with the kimber mag, the Wilson Mag has been 100%!
How many rounds were through it when you had the FTF? Assuming you cleaned the gun before your range time this weekend, how dirty (round count) was it before it happened?
Ultraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:32 AM   #5

Not so fast my friend! The Wilson Elite Tactical Magazine holds eight, but it is a little longer AND the surface of the follower is concave....not convex like their 7 round mags or flat like the Kimber. Giving a wee bit more room. My gunsmith says the WC ETM is the best.

I've put about 800 rounds through my Wilsons with no trouble....including the eight round which I have decided is the one I will standardize on.

Here is pic showing the length of the Wilson Combat lo-profile(7), elite tactical (8) and standard (7). As you can see, the 8 round is longer. No magic spring inside either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (566.1 KB, 3 views)
Chuck43 likes this.
Nigerian Lottery Winner
PorscheVille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:29 PM   #6

she broke

Yes, the gun is stripped, cleaned, and lubed immediately after each trip to the range so its always ready to go. I had put 300( 3 separate trips at 100 rnds each) rounds through it using both magazines prior to this trip and it had been 100% perfect. For some reason yesterday it got finicky about the kimber mag after about 40 or 50 rounds and would fail to feed 2 or 3 times per reload. First time I'd had that problem at all. However, with the Wilson mag I had zero issues. It got to the point where I knew when the Kimber mag went in I was going to have trouble.
All that being said, I'm just real happy that the break in period is done and I can put the Colt away for a few months and carry this one. I will continue to experiment with the Kimber mag at the range, but for carry I'll keep the Wilson in it...we'll see what happens!

Last edited by dougtrd; 03-17-2014 at 11:35 PM. Reason: I can't speel my werds
dougtrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:37 PM   #7

Wink Mag Stuff....

I have the original 7 round stainless mag that came with my Custom Stainless II, an 8 round stainless Kimber mag that I purchased when I bought the pistol and an 8 round stainless Chip McCormick that I picked up later. Both of the 8's hold and function well with 8 rounds and the 7 rounder works well with 7. I have probably over 3000 rounds through the pistol and all mags work 100%. I never really had any problems during the first 500 (break in) rounds.

I have a great pistol!!! It does nothing but eat ammo. One round after another!!! I couldn't be happier. I have heard that Wilson or Chip McCormick mags work best in Kimbers. If the factory mag is not 100%, go with either of those. YMMV

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:54 AM   #8

Welcome to the forum. I also have 6 Kimber Kim-Pro mags and not one problem with any of them.
bigdog10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:55 AM   #9

mags

Mecgar mags have been flawless in mine . Also the Wilson combat .
p99luvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:42 AM   #10

Originally Posted by PorscheVille View Post
Not so fast my friend! The Wilson Elite Tactical Magazine holds eight, but it is a little longer AND the surface of the follower is concave....not convex like their 7 round mags or flat like the Kimber. Giving a wee bit more room. My gunsmith says the WC ETM is the best.

I've put about 800 rounds through my Wilsons with no trouble....including the eight round which I have decided is the one I will standardize on.

Here is pic showing the length of the Wilson Combat lo-profile(7), elite tactical (8) and standard (7). As you can see, the 8 round is longer. No magic spring inside either.
How much room is there between the entrance of the magwell and the bottom of your Wilsom mag? Mine has like half inch and looks completely ridiculous
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo2-5.jpg (638.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg photo1-5.jpg (540.1 KB, 1 views)
JMalmy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magazine