Problem with 1 wk old Aegis ultra II - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2016, 07:11 PM   #1

Problem with 1 wk old Aegis ultra II

I have a question I hope you can help me with. This gun is only a week old and has only had a 100 rounds fired thru it and work flawless. The gun would lock back on last round fired and I would change mags let the slide down and keep firing. Now comes the problem, after I get home I reload mag and chamber a round, but then I decided since I had time I would clean the gun. Well I took the mag out and was going to rack the slide to un chamber the round, but the slide will only come back about 1/4 of an inch. Won't work with mag in, out or partially out. The slide works as it should as long as no round is in the chamber.
Do you know of anything I'm doing wrong? Only way to get round out of chamber is to fire the gun.
flandrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-13-2016, 07:18 PM   #2

Scratching head...huh? Welcome to the site from Tennessee.

With or without magazine you should be able to rack slide to remove live round from chamber. If magazine has another round in it, it should eject one and pick up and load another. If magazine is empty, it should eject round from chamber and slide should lock back.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger

Last edited by 2sharp2; 07-13-2016 at 07:26 PM.
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:44 PM   #3

Just thinking out loud, make sure the thumb safety is not partially engaged.
Insta-Gator and Tinman like this.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:54 PM   #4

Originally Posted by jonh1373 View Post
Just thinking out loud, make sure the thumb safety is not partially engaged.
Yep. My first two thoughts were thumb safety or possibly loose slide lock pin, but not sure how that would prevent slide function, unless it somehow allowed the barrel link to get out of position.
Tinman likes this.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:18 PM   #5

Check safety or How To Rack Your Handgun Slide Like A Boss

Welcome to KT
flandrum likes this.

Mike
NRA
Amvets Life Member
Navy Vet
RugerLuger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:22 PM   #6

Thanks for all the replies so far. I love the gun so far, just hate I had this little problem.
flandrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:56 PM   #7

Originally Posted by flandrum View Post
I have a question I hope you can help me with. This gun is only a week old and has only had a 100 rounds fired thru it and work flawless. The gun would lock back on last round fired and I would change mags let the slide down and keep firing. Now comes the problem, after I get home I reload mag and chamber a round, but then I decided since I had time I would clean the gun. Well I took the mag out and was going to rack the slide to un chamber the round, but the slide will only come back about 1/4 of an inch. Won't work with mag in, out or partially out. The slide works as it should as long as no round is in the chamber.
Do you know of anything I'm doing wrong? Only way to get round out of chamber is to fire the gun.
So you shot the stuck round out and it still is behaving same way? Sounds like the round itself is somehow stuck and the ejector is hanging slide back??
Old 07-13-2016, 10:17 PM   #8

Originally Posted by RugerLuger View Post
It seems that nowadays anyone with a tactical shirt, pretty hands, and a manicure, can start a blog and call himself an "operator."

Let me offer you an observation on this "Slide Racking Boss's" technique.

Take a look at the pictures and how his hand is covering the ejection port. After you've spent all that money on your custom race gun with the lowered, flared, ejection port, why would you cover it with your Cheeto stained fingers? Care to guess what's going to happen when you try to clear a jam with your hand covering the ejection port? You're going to prevent the round/casing from ejecting, and you're going to make matters worse. That will be a serious bummer, and it has the potential to totally ruin your day.

So if you're a range daddy or a Solo owner whose gun never fails, go ahead and rack your slide like a boss. But if you are training to use your gun for serious business, then at least consider alternative options.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:41 PM   #9

So Flandrum,
Here's what I would do. I'm neither operator nor blogger, so the following isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

Tear the gun apart again. Take the barrel, and stick a round down the tube. It should fall right in until it "clunks" to a stop. Then it should just come right out if you invert the barrel. There should be no tightness or binding, no matter what.

Next clean and reassemble the gun again, as if it was filthy after a day at the range. Take special care to put the recoil spring and guide rod in properly.

If a gun is bound up because of tight fitting parts, grime, or improperly sized ammo, it's often easy to clear the jam. First, remember that you're dealing with a loaded gun. Take all necessary precautions. Hold the slide like the blogger recommends, in your weak hand. Now line up your strong hand, web of your thumb right below the beavertail, heel of your hand along the backstrap, and SLAM the frame forward with much... enthusiasm. Don't hit the gun so hard that you send it flying across the room. That would be poor form.

Keep experimenting and observing. You'll figure it out.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:28 AM   #10

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
It seems that nowadays anyone with a tactical shirt, pretty hands, and a manicure, can start a blog and call himself an "operator."

Let me offer you an observation on this "Slide Racking Boss's" technique.

Take a look at the pictures and how his hand is covering the ejection port. After you've spent all that money on your custom race gun with the lowered, flared, ejection port, why would you cover it with your Cheeto stained fingers? Care to guess what's going to happen when you try to clear a jam with your hand covering the ejection port? You're going to prevent the round/casing from ejecting, and you're going to make matters worse. That will be a serious bummer, and it has the potential to totally ruin your day.

So if you're a range daddy or a Solo owner whose gun never fails, go ahead and rack your slide like a boss. But if you are training to use your gun for serious business, then at least consider alternative options.
Rusty, I'm no operator and I'm new to the Aegis and semi-autos
myself and spent many days racking snapcaps before taking it to the range. I surely don't want my fingers over the ejection port at anytime. I just wanted to be sure he was getting enough leverage
on the rack. Cheeto's make my fingers slippery.

Mike
NRA
Amvets Life Member
Navy Vet
RugerLuger is offline   Reply With Quote