New Kimber Owner (Eclipse Pro ii) - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2014, 10:39 PM   #1

New Kimber Owner (Eclipse Pro ii)

Bought a gently used Kimber 1911 Eclipse Pro ii at a local shop. It was a pretty good deal from what I have seen around, and it has an aftermarket ambi safety added.

I took it to the range and put about 50 rounds through it, (it was a quick trip) but it shot PERFECTLY!

I took my NC CCW class this weekend, and took my Kimber. I brought my new wilson combat magazine which I am almost positive I used at the range the first time. This time it FTFeed on 3 rounds on 1 magazine. I switched to the magazines it came with, and FTFeed the first round out of a full magazine. When I switched magazines to the 3rd mag, I popped the first round out just to be safe, and emptied the last magazine. Again, great groupings and all, but the FTFeed brought all those nagging "Kimber's have problems" articles to mind.

Not being the original owner I have no idea how many rounds have been through it, the LGS told me it looked too good to have been through a full break in. I have read reviews, and ordered the Wolff X-Power Recoil & Firing Pin Spring so I can replace that just in case.

Any thoughts?

Oh yeah... the pic!

Last edited by Elidar73; 03-30-2014 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Adding Pic
Elidar73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-30-2014, 11:06 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Elidar73 View Post
Bought a gently used Kimber 1911 Eclipse Pro ii at a local shop. It was a pretty good deal from what I have seen around, and it has an aftermarket ambi safety added.

I took it to the range and put about 50 rounds through it, (it was a quick trip) but it shot PERFECTLY!

I took my NC CCW class this weekend, and took my Kimber. I brought my new wilson combat magazine which I am almost positive I used at the range the first time. This time it FTFeed on 3 rounds on 1 magazine. I switched to the magazines it came with, and FTFeed the first round out of a full magazine. When I switched magazines to the 3rd mag, I popped the first round out just to be safe, and emptied the last magazine. Again, great groupings and all, but the FTFeed brought all those nagging "Kimber's have problems" articles to mind.

Not being the original owner I have no idea how many rounds have been through it, the LGS told me it looked too good to have been through a full break in. I have read reviews, and ordered the Wolff X-Power Recoil & Firing Pin Spring so I can replace that just in case.

Any thoughts?
First, welcome to the forum from Ohio. The Eclipse is one of Kimbers best offerings. You didn't mention what type of ammo you were using. 230 gr ball ammo is recommended for at least the first 500 rounds during break in. If the gun had more rounds through it, it may be as simple as needing a new recoil spring as you mentioned. Keep us up on how it goes when you replace your springs. Good luck!

Ohio Chl holder
NRA member
Old age isn't for sissy's
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:13 PM   #3

Ammo

Every round has been white box Winchester .45 230 Grain target rounds.
Elidar73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2014, 04:24 AM   #4

Welcome that's a nice looking Kimber!
bigdog10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:14 AM   #5

Welcome to the forum.

Yeah, until you know you have 500 round through her it's kinda hard to know if you have a problem. Also, in the early stages, clean and lube frequently. I had 5 FTF in my first 50 rounds. I was concerned. She how has 850 rounds down range and not a single issue since the first five. She's smooth, easy to shoot, and dependable.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:27 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Elidar73 View Post
Not being the original owner I have no idea how many rounds have been through it, the LGS told me it looked too good to have been through a full break in.
Welcome to the form from northern Illinois Elidar73, I'd be willing to bet your LGS is right, you'd be surprised at how little a majority of gun owners actually shoot them. I wouldn't worry about replacing springs at this time, I'd just treat it as a new gun and take it through the break in procedure.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:41 AM   #7

Welcome from Ohio

KEEP CALM AND RETURN FIRE

NRA Life Member
Dude22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:12 PM   #8

Welcome from Saint George UT. Whenever I buy a used gun I immediately field strip it and clean/oil it. Many 1911 owners are intimidated by the process of dismantling a 1911, as I was many years ago. The gun you bought is built like a bank vault and can withstand a ton of abuse and in some cases thats exactly what they get. Congratulations on an awesome firearm.
Walkingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:54 PM   #9

Thumbs up

Beautiful weapon.
Ultraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:25 PM   #10

When it is spring time (800 rounds for a Pro) you might consider installing the Wilson Combat flat-wire recoil spring kit. It lasts much longer (up to 10x) than standard round springs. It's a stiff one, but shoots smooth as a babies butt. And as a bonus, you can break it down without using a tool, thanks to the shorter, thinner guide rod and general flexibility (think Slinky) of the flat wire.

I have put 1500 rounds through my Pro with one single FTF at 750 rounds. I switched to the WC flat spring shortly after that and started using Wilson Combat ETM magazines. No more FTFs and I am much more popular with the girls as a result.

The one for the Pro is #651.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (164.0 KB, 2 views)
Elidar73 likes this.
Nigerian Lottery Winner
PorscheVille is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

kimber eclipse pro problems

Click on a term to search for related topics.