Like Tree13Likes
  • 5 Post By Trubble4u
  • 4 Post By Insta-Gator
  • 3 Post By azguy1911
  • 1 Post By swca

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2016, 05:12 PM   #1

After much research, i can define the custom shop at kimber

I have had the pleasure to work on a few kimbers 2 of my own and another that a friend has purchased. I spent considerable time looking at what is defines the custom shop pistols.

the workmanship on the barrel fit, hood, ramps, link and locking lugs on the barrel.

the trigger fit, finish, and sear/hammer hook treatment.
polishing of the trigger sliding tracks and trigger bow.

additional checkering/stipling work.
sights and grips.

I have come to this conclusion comparing the Raptor 2 against the pro carry 2 and the desert warrior.

raptor and warrior are 5 in guns.

the fit and finish everywhere on the raptor is heads and shoulders above the desert warrior. I was actually really surprised that there was such a difference considering they are roughly the same price.

None of this is bad, in fact it is good. For those who want to upgrade their pistol, or spend a little time working on it while cleaning it, huge advances can be made on some of the lower end weapons.
I have spent roughly 175.00 and 5 hours (10 if you count range time and reloading) on my pro carry and would put it next to a Wilson tomorrow. 3lb 12 oz trigger that is crisp as breakfast cereal.
1" groups at 20 yards from a rest.
slide is buttery smooth after fitting an oversized firing pin stop, bobbing the hammer, polishing the trigger parts, slide, hammer, breach face, ramp and barrel throat, replacing the MIM mag release that broke, and refitting the slide release due to too much clearance in my opinion.
I know this sounds like a lot of work to put into a kimber, but you get what you work for. They are good pistols out of the box with a 500 round break in period expected. But they can be an "eat anything reliable protection weapon that is fun to shoot" with a little work and attention to details when detail cleaning them.

The little extra work will pay dividends, you will have the pistol that you dreamt of when you purchased it and anxiously awaited the phone call from the shop to go get it.

You can have a high end reliable 1911 with a little effort that will rival some of the best custom shop guns out there. for less than half the price.

Publilius Syrus
Trubble4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-26-2016, 06:31 PM   #2

the fit and finish everywhere on the raptor is heads and shoulders above the desert warrior. I was actually really surprised that there was such a difference considering they are roughly the same price.
Any Kimber, in my opinion. I love my Stainless Raptor Pro.
Chuck43, Marshall, bhunted and 1 others like this.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:25 PM   #3

I grin every time I shoot mine

20160130_150209.jpg

20160130_150311.jpg

20160130_150327.jpg

20160131_172204.jpg
Chuck43, 2sharp2 and swca like this.
I'm a 1911 addict -- GI CCO 9mm, WC Sentinel Compact 9mm, WC ULCC 9mm, WC Professional 38 super, WC Stealth 38 super, WC Bobtail Professional 9mm, DW CCO 38 super, DW CBOB 38 super, Kimber Ultra Aegis 9mm and a little Sig P938
azguy1911 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2016, 11:40 PM   #4

Now that own 6 1911's three of which are Kimbers. I have been considering buying a Ed Brown sear jig and trigger rail file and do my own trigger jobs. The U-tube videos make it look pretty simple and nothing is better than a nice trigger on any gun.
starnovi likes this.

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 11:55 PM   #5

Of the six Kimbers I have owned the worst trigger by far was on a custom shop gun.
Tankgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 12:30 PM   #6

Originally Posted by Trubble4u View Post
I have spent roughly 175.00 and 5 hours (10 if you count range time and reloading) on my pro carry and would put it next to a Wilson tomorrow. 3lb 12 oz trigger that is crisp as breakfast cereal.
1" groups at 20 yards from a rest.
slide is buttery smooth after fitting an oversized firing pin stop, bobbing the hammer, polishing the trigger parts, slide, hammer, breach face, ramp and barrel throat, replacing the MIM mag release that broke, and refitting the slide release due to too much clearance in my opinion.
Sounds like fun, Trubble.
Could you elaborate on what you did, and why?

I'm a little curious because I intend to do some work on one of my guns soon, and I haven't really decided on how far I'll go. It's an RIA, regular GI style. I got it when they were $289--only because the price was cheap. I thought it would be a POS, and I'd mill and file and polish on it, then refinish it. But the gun was actually quite nice--to nice to just hack away on for no reason. So it's sat in the safe. But now I'm again thinking that I want to stick on some real sights, properly finish the sharp edges, smooth the functioning, and maybe Ceracote it.

Yes, I understand the cost/benefit, but I wanna play with it anyway.

Thx.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 04:35 PM   #7

Hmmmmmm. I sure wouldn't mind knowing that myself. Exactly what you did and why you did it. Have 3 Kimbers and and three other 1911's that I would like to do some work on......