Kimber Custom II or Royal - Kimber Forum

Kimber


Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree56Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2014, 10:05 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Oldsoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Arizona,God bless our Gov.
Posts: 148
Kimber Custom II or Royal

They look alike but why the big cash difference? I know the Grips. Anything eles.

__________________
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything. Tyler

Last edited by Oldsoul; 05-03-2014 at 10:11 PM.
Oldsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-03-2014, 10:13 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Mike240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,704
Other than the polished blue finish and grips? No difference. To me not worth the cost. For a carry gun that finish will wear quickly. But the Royale is pretty.
Mike240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:35 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Oldsoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Arizona,God bless our Gov.
Posts: 148
Originally Posted by Mike240 View Post
Other than the polished blue finish and grips? No difference. To me not worth the cost. For a carry gun that finish will wear quickly. But the Royale is pretty.
Those must be some dam nice grips for 1200.00!!
Lineman likes this.
__________________
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything. Tyler
Oldsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 05-03-2014, 10:59 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Western NC
Posts: 25
Custom II

Highly recommend the regular old Custom II for value.

Highly recommend the Royal for sex appeal!

The Custom II is a great shooting gun, and I bet you can find one for around $700. You can then add whatever grips and sights over time, but much easier to get into at $700. People can correct me if I'm wrong on the current market.

You could be at the range next week

cap
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 03:11 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Insta-Gator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Georgia
Posts: 11,763
I can't argue those points. A well-built, good shooting gun is all we can reasonably ask.

But how do you put a price on sexy?
PorscheVille likes this.
__________________
Insta-Gator aka .. Gary
(warning: prone to bouts of petulance)

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:12 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Dude22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: South West Florida
Posts: 5,802
Originally Posted by Insta-Gator View Post
But how do you put a price on sexy?
I married her and it has cost me everything I made. LOL
Marshall, OscarZ, Islander and 2 others like this.
__________________
Denny

KEEP CALM AND RETURN FIRE

NRA Life Member
Dude22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:26 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
v35b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Pinellas Park
Posts: 309
All that hand polishing and hand fitting takes a lot of time that is where the higher price comes from, but with that the gun is smother and would be more accurate
v35b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:53 AM   #8
Super Moderator
 
Chuck43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 32,569
The grips are bone and the finish is not the crappy Kimpro finish it's done by Turnbull mfg.
PorscheVille likes this.
__________________
WE DON'T SHOOT TO KILL, WE SHOOT TO SAVE A LIFE.
Chuck43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:07 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
PorscheVille's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 1,013
Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
The grips are bone and the finish is not the crappy Kimpro finish it's done by Turnbull mfg.
Turnbull Restorations. Finishes said to be unmatched.

This discussion hits close to home because I will be buying a Royal II. Perhaps as soon as today. So why would I pay a thousand dollars more to have a Royal II?

First, there are those who are very proud of how cheap they can buy something. There is nothing wrong with that, I'm just not one of those people. That is why I'm on the Kimber Forum. I like quality, I'll pay more to get it and I am fortunate enough to be able to on occasion.

Second, I am an artist and make my living designing things the fit, finish and overall look really matter to me. That is why I bought a 1911 and not a plastic gun. Kimber has a lot of models and after looking at every one for a long time, the one I think is the most beautiful is the Royal II. Is a gun a work of art? Is it a thing of beauty and lasting value? Damn right.

Third, do you ever notice which muscle cars are worth the most today? It is a 429 Mach I, not the base model Mustang with a six-cylinder. It is the Hemi Cuda, not the 318 model. It's the SS396 Chevelle, not the Malibu with the vinyl top. I see a gun as something to collect and hand down to my sons and their sons and I want the models that are the most desirable.

The Custom II is a great gun and it is a tremendous value. There is a lot to be said for that. But doing the same job for less money is one kind of value. When something makes people say "wow".... "I want one of those"....that is a different kind of value.

Finally, what something is worth is relative. When I was first married I was so broke, at my lowest point I sold my blood plasma once. It took hours, it was humiliating and when I got done, I got a check for, as I recall, $6.00. In other words, I have been poor but now I'm fortunate not to have to live paycheck to paycheck. And, I'm fortunate enough to be able to pay a bit more to get something really special. And you know what? I have worked so hard for so long, I feel like I f--king deserve it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (78.2 KB, 5 views)
__________________
Kimber Royal II
Kimber Stainless Pro Carry II
NRA Member
Nigerian Lottery Winner
PorscheVille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:26 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Ultraman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: South Lake Tahoe CA
Posts: 868
Originally Posted by PorscheVille View Post
Turnbull Restorations. Finishes said to be unmatched.

This discussion hits close to home because I will be buying a Royal II. Perhaps as soon as today. So why would I pay a thousand dollars more to have a Royal II?

First, there are those who are very proud of how cheap they can buy something. There is nothing wrong with that, I'm just not one of those people. That is why I'm on the Kimber Forum. I like quality, I'll pay more to get it and I am fortunate enough to be able to on occasion.

Second, I am an artist and make my living designing things the fit, finish and overall look really matter to me. That is why I bought a 1911 and not a plastic gun. Kimber has a lot of models and after looking at every one for a long time, the one I think is the most beautiful is the Royal II. Is a gun a work of art? Is it a thing of beauty and lasting value? Damn right.

Third, do you ever notice which muscle cars are worth the most today? It is a 429 Mach I, not the base model Mustang with a six-cylinder. It is the Hemi Cuda, not the 318 model. It's the SS396 Chevelle, not the Malibu with the vinyl top. I see a gun as something to collect and hand down to my sons and their sons and I want the models that are the most desirable.

The Custom II is a great gun and it is a tremendous value. There is a lot to be said for that. But doing the same job for less money is one kind of value. When something makes people say "wow".... "I want one of those"....that is a different kind of value.

Finally, what something is worth is relative. When I was first married I was so broke, at my lowest point I sold my blood plasma once. It took hours, it was humiliating and when I got done, I got a check for, as I recall, $6.00. In other words, I have been poor but now I'm fortunate not to have to live paycheck to paycheck. And, I'm fortunate enough to be able to pay a bit more to get something really special. And you know what? I have worked so hard for so long, I feel like I f--king deserve it!
Me likes how you think. Go get that bad boy.
Insta-Gator and PorscheVille like this.
Ultraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Search tags for this page

kimber 1911 royal ii

,

kimber custom royal

,
kimber royal
,

kimber royal 11

,
kimber royal 2
,

kimber royal ii

,
kimber royal ii review
,
kimber royal ii vs custom ii
Click on a term to search for related topics.

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kimber Custom II vs Colt Mk IV Series 70 (new version) Gmountain Kimber 1911 Forum 19 03-14-2015 08:39 PM
New Custom made Kimber Solo Ostrich Holster / FS / MS Tennjed Parts & Accessories 8 04-26-2014 11:30 AM
Royal II PorscheVille Kimber 1911 Forum 29 04-25-2014 04:24 PM
Kimber Custom 2 TLE buyers questions Redriver6 Kimber 1911 Forum 4 11-25-2013 09:30 PM
New kimber custom stainless II at the range today Hdsteve69 Kimber 1911 Forum 5 11-18-2013 09:22 AM