Wheel Gun Advice - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree81Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2014, 08:33 PM   #1

Wheel Gun Advice

My younger son, aka "The Monster" has his heart set on a revolver. Since Kimber doesn't make revolvers, I need some advice. A Smith & Wesson is what I'm considering, but I don't know their models well. Ruger also has some nice looking revolvers.

He is 6'7" 350 and has hands the size of cantaloupes. So I won't be looking for a J Frame. Those who have revolvers, what do you like or not like? Are there different features with certain models?
Nigerian Lottery Winner
PorscheVille is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-05-2014, 08:58 PM   #2

I have two Rugers and love them.
I carry the snub in the winter and have a blast shooting 357's out of the 4".
My next wheel gun that I like is the S&W 460 or the S&W 44 magnum.
There's nothing like a day of shooting nothing but wheel guns because every single time they go BANG...
PorscheVille likes this.

Last edited by Marshall; 05-19-2014 at 04:06 PM.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:04 PM   #3

Originally Posted by jms-stlou View Post
I have two Rugers and love them.
I carry the snub in the winter and have a blast shooting 357's out of the 4".
My next wheel gun that I like is the S&W 460 or the S&W 44 magnum.
There's nothing like a day of shooting nothing but wheel guns because every single time they go BANG...
I've noticed some have hammers. Some don't. Some have hammers that are covered? What's that about?
Nigerian Lottery Winner

Old 05-05-2014, 09:13 PM   #4

Originally Posted by PorscheVille View Post
I've noticed some have hammers. Some don't. Some have hammers that are covered? What's that about?
I really don't know but a friend of mine won't buy one with a hammer because he thinks it will get caught on his holster and he likes the SA compared to the DA..
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:23 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Wow, I'm a life long revolver guy, where should I start.
Beginning with your last question, they all have hammers, some are bobbed, some are shrouded and some are internal. The reasons vary, and could lead to a very long post.
My question at this point is what does your son want the revolver for? As big as he is, maybe a S&W 625 which is a good sized revolver chambered in 45 ACP. There are so many option that it would be hard to make a good recommendation without more of an idea what it would be used for.

Ohio Chl holder
NRA member
Old age isn't for sissy's
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:28 PM   #6

Originally Posted by PorscheVille View Post

He is 6'7" 350 and has hands the size of cantaloupes. So I won't be looking for a J Frame. Those who have revolvers, what do you like or not like? Are there different features with certain models?
The first and only thing that came to mind to fit a growing boy like yours is this baby! 44 mag or 454 even. Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan
Marshall and PorscheVille like this.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:37 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Oldsoul View Post
The first and only thing that came to mind to fit a growing boy like yours is this baby! 44 mag or 454 even. Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan
Those are so cool! If I lived in bear country that would be my EDC!
PorscheVille likes this.

Ohio Chl holder
NRA member
Old age isn't for sissy's
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:42 PM   #8

Originally Posted by Islander View Post
Those are so cool! If I lived in bear country that would be my EDC!
Last week when I put my down for my Solo they were unwrapping one of the Super Redhawks and I held it, I felt "10' tall and bulletproof" to quote Travis.
Just an awesome wheelie
PorscheVille likes this.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:45 PM   #9

I have two revolvers (now that I've sold a few) a Ruger Single Six in .22/.22mag. Western style gun that is really fun to shoot.

My serious revolver, purchased specifically for hunting, is a S&W 629 .44 Mag with the 6.5" full lug barrel. It is super sweet. Would fit his large hands perfectly.
glokrok likes this.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:46 PM   #10

Originally Posted by Islander View Post
Wow, I'm a life long revolver guy, where should I start.
Beginning with your last question, they all have hammers, some are bobbed, some are shrouded and some are internal. The reasons vary, and could lead to a very long post.
My question at this point is what does your son want the revolver for? As big as he is, maybe a S&W 625 which is a good sized revolver chambered in 45 ACP. There are so many option that it would be hard to make a good recommendation without more of an idea what it would be used for.
How can I put this? He wants to be Dirty Harry and blow shit up.

He just wants to shoot guns. He had a brain injury at age 4. He is now 21 and just like every other male, he wants to be cool and do the things he sees other men doing. He'll never carry or shoot without close supervision, but he'll enjoy it immensely and it will be something he can do with me. The tactile feedback...the kick, will be good for him. He needs sensory stimulation. He needs to do things that require motor skills and concentration. And, he needs to have fun. He has had and will always have a life full of frustration. He loves cars and can operate one, but can't read so he can't get a license. Frustration. He wants a girlfriend but is socially awkward. Frustration. He wants to be cool but people laugh at him.

He loves weapons though. He can look at any WWII tank and tell you "That is a Panzerkampfwagen Tiger II with the Porsche turret. Or look at an airplane and tell you all about it. So, I'll take him to gun ranges and let him shoot, learn gun safety, etc. and he'll feel a little bit normal.

Ps: He was a normal 4 year old when he got his pre-school vaccine. Within a few hours he lost all his words and didn't know who we were. He was diagnosed with vaccine-induced encephalopathy....aka permanent brain damage. Before that he was smart. He has a sister who is a OBGYN doctor, his older brother is a lawyer and his little sister is at college on scholarship. So, his life could have been very different. For the greater good of society, we the public aren't told that we are playing Russian Roulette with our children because vaccines kill children every day. Yes, they do a lot of good. But they also kill. That is a dirty secret the department of HHS doesn't want you to know.
Nigerian Lottery Winner

Last edited by PorscheVille; 05-05-2014 at 09:56 PM.