Just some quick questions. - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2014, 09:17 AM   #1

Just some quick questions.

Hey all, I am the proud new owner of a TLE RL 2 and I just have a couple questions. I am looking at replacing the plastic mainspring housing with a stainless one. Pardon my ignorance but is the stock mainspring housing full size or compact? and what sort of grip should i get on it, flat or v-grip?

The other thing is I would like to replace my full length guide rod with something shorter and was curious as to what you guys thought about that. And maybe wilson's flat recoil springs but I have no idea about those, can't seem to find a consensus. Thanks guys
Forthegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-12-2014, 11:57 AM   #2

Originally Posted by Forthegood View Post
Hey all, I am the proud new owner of a TLE RL 2 and I just have a couple questions. I am looking at replacing the plastic mainspring housing with a stainless one. Pardon my ignorance but is the stock mainspring housing full size or compact? and what sort of grip should i get on it, flat or v-grip?

The other thing is I would like to replace my full length guide rod with something shorter and was curious as to what you guys thought about that. And maybe wilson's flat recoil springs but I have no idea about those, can't seem to find a consensus. Thanks guys
The MSH is full size on a Custom TLE/RL II. I know Kimber makes a metal one that size because the one in my Royal II is metal. I haven't checked to see if Kimber sells them or not. I replaced the MSH in my Pro Carry II with a one-piece machined MSH/Magwell. As for grips, there are a blue million grip makers. Check out the "Show Us Your Grips" thread for examples. I have bought grips for $19.00 and for $190.00.

I haven't looked into spring or guide rod changes on my 5-in because it is new. I put a Wilson flat-wire kit in my Pro Carry and love it. Note that your warranty is 1-year and mods will void that.

My PC II with a MSH/Magwell added:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (1.24 MB, 5 views)
Forthegood likes this.
Nigerian Lottery Winner
PorscheVille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:35 PM   #3
Super Moderator

I would suggest you save the upgrades for the future and concentrate on breaking in your gun. If for any reason you have to return the gun to Kimber for warranty work they are not going to be happy with your modifications. In most cases they will replace the non stock parts with stock factory parts and charge you for the part and the installation of said part.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:51 PM   #4

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
I would suggest you save the upgrades for the future and concentrate on breaking in your gun. If for any reason you have to return the gun to Kimber for warranty work they are not going to be happy with your modifications. In most cases they will replace the non stock parts with stock factory parts and charge you for the part and the installation of said part.
What Chuck said. Very good advise.

KEEP CALM AND RETURN FIRE

NRA Life Member
Dude22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:49 PM   #5

Many chose arched or flat msh based on comfort. That is incorrect to me. It is about which provides consistent depression of the grip safety for your hand and "point ability". When presenting the gun at target quick if the front sight is low and you need to heel the gun to get the sights to align- then arched. If it points high then flat. It is about speed and performance to me not comfort.

Whatever you do either use kimber parts or save the oem parts and restore it to factory spec if you ever send it back to kimber.

Based on what I have seen I would replace plastic msh.

The guide rod debate won't ever end. There is a long thread here on the subject that will explain pro and con. I could less about which it hast as long as it is not a two piece flgr.
Chuck43 likes this.
Mike240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:30 PM   #6

Kimber sells MSHs on their web site but at $22.95, I doubt they are metal. They also don 't say they are metal. The ones with the mag well are metal.
Nigerian Lottery Winner
PorscheVille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:03 PM   #7

I dropped/dumped my Kimber custom Classic stainless 10 yrs ago, it hit the floor on the plastic MSH and it broke at the cross pin, ejecting itself from the pistol.
I replaced it with a Wilson metal MSH, tossed the cheap holster and never looked back.
67,000 rounds through it and it runs smooth as glass.
bigdog10 and Insta-Gator like this.
WRFTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:53 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois WRFTD.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:21 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by WRFTD View Post
I dropped/dumped my Kimber custom Classic stainless 10 yrs ago, it hit the floor on the plastic MSH and it broke at the cross pin, ejecting itself from the pistol.
I replaced it with a Wilson metal MSH, tossed the cheap holster and never looked back.
67,000 rounds through it and it runs smooth as glass.
Welcome to the forum from Ohio!!

Ohio Chl holder
NRA member
Old age isn't for sissy's
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 04:18 PM   #10

67,000 rounds through the same gun. Wow, that's a bunch.

Welcome to the forum.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote