Better choice for carry and range - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2016, 09:08 PM   #1

Better choice for carry and range

I am wanting to go a different direction for my carry gun. I normally carry a Springfield xdm, but I no matter what I do and what holster I try, I just can't seem to get a comfortable "fit". I'm a big guy but I have found it it's not comfortable, I carry less. I want to carry everywhere I'm able.

So I borrowed a holster from a family member for his 1911 and carried my full size for a day and even though the weight was a little more, it was definitely more comfortable, and I think it's due to the 1911 being slimmer.

So in went and looked at some of the smaller kimbers the other day and narrowed it down to 2 models. Both are super carry 3".

Option 1 is the super carry ultra+
Option 2 is the super carry pro HD

I know the ultra+ is steel slide and aluminum frame and the HD is all steel.

So here is my main concern. I want to not only carry it, but train with it. I believe that I should train with the same gun I carry. Maybe it doesn't matter much, but it makes sense to me so that's what I do. My normal training is at least 50 rounds a week doing various drills I've put together. But in a good weekend I go through maybe 250-300 rounds, which I know isn't alot compared to some.

So will the lighter, aluminum frame which I think will be nicer to carry, hold up to range duty as well? Or will the all steel be ether suited.

Perhaps I'm over thinking it since my M9 is a steel slide and aluminum frame and I beat that to death at the range without worry.

Thank you for any information.
starnovi likes this.
19trax95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-18-2016, 09:22 PM   #2

I wouldn't get too excited over the expected lifespan of the aluminum framed gun. It should last a long, long, time. Of the two you mentioned, I'd choose the Ultra just because of the concealability of the shorter barrel.

Last edited by RustyIron; 09-19-2016 at 06:30 AM.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:27 PM   #3

Sounds like you are on the right track, awesome, I carry a Kimber Ultra every day. My Eclipse Ultra weighs in at the most, so I rarely carry that one, mostly winter carry only.

Always be ready - 5.11
Hoffbrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2016, 09:50 PM   #4

Originally Posted by 19trax95 View Post
I am wanting to go a different direction for my carry gun. I normally carry a Springfield xdm, but I no matter what I do and what holster I try, I just can't seem to get a comfortable "fit". I'm a big guy but I have found it it's not comfortable, I carry less. I want to carry everywhere I'm able.

So I borrowed a holster from a family member for his 1911 and carried my full size for a day and even though the weight was a little more, it was definitely more comfortable, and I think it's due to the 1911 being slimmer.

So in went and looked at some of the smaller kimbers the other day and narrowed it down to 2 models. Both are super carry 3".

Option 1 is the super carry ultra+
Option 2 is the super carry pro HD

I know the ultra+ is steel slide and aluminum frame and the HD is all steel.

So here is my main concern. I want to not only carry it, but train with it. I believe that I should train with the same gun I carry. Maybe it doesn't matter much, but it makes sense to me so that's what I do. My normal training is at least 50 rounds a week doing various drills I've put together. But in a good weekend I go through maybe 250-300 rounds, which I know isn't alot compared to some.

So will the lighter, aluminum frame which I think will be nicer to carry, hold up to range duty as well? Or will the all steel be ether suited.

Perhaps I'm over thinking it since my M9 is a steel slide and aluminum frame and I beat that to death at the range without worry.

Thank you for any information.
Welcome to the site from Tennessee. Kimber Ultra's make fine conceal carry, range, home protection shoot all you want pistols. I carry either a CDP Ultra or a RCP Ultra every day.
Maybe it is just typing error or your misunderstanding but there are some incorrect facts in your post that might make a difference to you.
Your option 1 & 2 both are NOT 3".
Option 1 Super Carry Ultra+...is a 3" barrel but has a rounded full size grip.
Option 2 Super Carry Pro HD...has a 4" barrel, any model with "Pro" in the name is 4 inch barrel. Does have rounded full size grip.

#3. Did you mean Super Carry Ultra HD? it is 3" barrel, compact size grip, straight not rounded.

#4. The HD Super Carry models are fine pistols and would do any job you need but would be a little bit heavier carrying but it may not be a problem for you.

Outstanding idea to train and practice with the pistol you CC.

So check out my info and let us know. I like round butts.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:55 PM   #5

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
I like round butts.
Me too Arland
2sharp2, Trex, TEJASPOWER and 2 others like this.

Always be ready - 5.11
Hoffbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 10:54 PM   #6

^^^
Me too, but not too big.
2sharp2, Hoffbrew, Trex and 2 others like this.
Hawker800 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:59 AM   #7

Welcome from Northeast,Pa. I would also recommend an Ultra with a compact grip for carrying.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 04:54 AM   #8

It's going to boil down to a personal choice.

That being said, I am all in for all steel guns, Pro (Commander) size, and a smooth round butt doesn't hurt.
2sharp2 and Hoffbrew like this.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 05:10 AM   #9

Wow thanks for the replies. I indeed mentioned the wrong name for the HD, I meant the ultra HD with the 3" barrel.

I did like the feel of the rounded grip of the ultra+. It seems like that may be more comfortable to carry as well (maybe).

So basically the aluminum frame isn't anything to really be worried about then? Thanks again for the replies.
2sharp2 likes this.
19trax95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:36 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois, I'm a big fan of the Super Carry line, the Pro is my favorite. Kimber says their aluminum frames are good for 50,000+ rounds, the highest mileage I have on an aluminum frame Kimber is 26,000+ so I'm about 1/2 way to finding out what happens at that point.