Kimber Talk Forums banner

Got a cleaning question for you all.

5K views 33 replies 24 participants last post by  2Alpha 
#1 ·
Got a question for you all....with a new pistol, or even a broken in pistol, do you clean it after every time you use it, or do you put a certain amount of rounds through it before cleaning it? The Kimber really show the dirt on the slide, port, and frame after being at the range, so I usually clean it every time, but never did that with my other pistols. Just wondering. And if you have a preference for a certain cleaner would you post that too please? Thanks for you replies.

#3 ·
cleanliness being next to godliness...

...I clean stuff up after every time out. It's probably really not necessary unless seriously skunky ammo was used but I know it can't hurt. As far as supplies I've been experimenting with different things. It's hard to beat the Hoppe's #9 though for a solvent and I like the Battleborn high purity oil.
...one of my favorite online sources for info on cleaning firearms is Gunblue490, he's published a variety of videos on Youtube. He's got more of a common sense approach than religious doctrine which is refreshing :)

#29 ·
Well, unless I'm mistaken, you DO live in the swamp known as south/central Georgia:eek::eek: Some serious humidity over there! Rust inspections aren't so critical here in the convection oven of central Texas! I did some serious sweating back when I traveled Macon, Valdosta, Albany(after one of the flood events!) and the coast!

#5 ·
I clean most times. I always wipe down the outside of my guns right after the range visit or handling them. I have seen to many finger prints turn to permanent prints on the metal of the gun because people put them away after handling and it may be some time before handling it again.

#7 ·
I have set no personal rules for cleaning. But as a general rule I clean if it has been fired, not been fired in awhile, or I just get a wild hair to clean.
Say I fire one and only shoot 25 rounds or less because I got tired or ran out of ammo or time and I'm pretty sure I will fire it again pretty soon I will wait on the cleaning.

Anytime me or someone touches a firearm it is wiped with a silicone cloth on the outside before putting into safe.

Been using Hoppes #9 and BreakFree CLP for a long time with good success.
I recently been trying some new stuff (BreakThrough). It is chemical free, seems to do a good job, spray and wipe with old rag. Very handy spray bottle. Only possible thing is seems I tend to use a little to much.

Attachments

#14 ·
"helper?" My hound dog? Yes, he must smell everything...that's what he does! He makes every step I make, he follows me to the bathroom, lays on the bath mat outside the shower door when I'm in the shower.

Tinman, have you met Kracker?

Reactions: starnovi and Tinman
#11 ·
I do, regardless of how many or few rounds it's fired. I don't think it needs it right away, but I'm never sure if a gun will come out again in a few weeks, or many years. With modern ammo, cleaning is more of an opportunity to inspect the hardware rather than to ensure reliability. If a carry gun can't fire many hundreds of rounds without a cleaning or a failure, then it's not good enough to be a carry gun.

For cleaning, I like M-Pro 7. It cleans quickly, and doesn't have much of an odor.

#22 · (Edited)
I agree with most here, I like cleaning my guns, but there's a practical aspect.

Firearms are not just mechanical devices, they're life support equipment.

If it's a range gun only, no big deal, though there are some who suggest that leaving burned powder and carbon fouling can contribute to rust and corrosion. If I know I'm going out again in a couple days or a week, I'll wait until there's a break between sessions.

My carry and home defense guns get thoroughly cleaned after every session. Period. Because the first failure might be my last.

I strongly recommend FrogLube. The first application is a bit more time consuming than traditional cleaners and lubes, but the ease of follow up cleaning, outstanding performance and organic characteristics make it well worth it.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

#26 ·
I clean my guns after every range trip and enjoy the process almost as much as firing the gun. I consider it a pleasurable aspect of the total gun ownership experience. It is not a chore; it is fun with benefits. As others have commented, during the breakdown I inspect the gun parts to ensure it goes bang as expected on the next trip out. I am a bit OCD for cleanliness. But I clean gently and carefully. I don't go ape with wire brushes or harsh chemicals unless absolutely necessary. I use a variety of products. Some I like more than others, but most get the job done acceptably.

#27 ·
I've noticed that I really like cleaning my Kimbers more than my other pistols. With the breakdown being so similar between my models, it just seems second nature now. My Micro 380 is off to Kimber but I'll be cleaning my UC2 and M9 today and hopefully visiting the range tomorrow.

#28 ·
Boy would you folks get a kick out of LE guns and holsters. But I'll tell you what I wouldn't take a chance and stand in front of one just because of a little dust. Nowadays most shotguns are mounted up above the cage area. In years past they were counted barrel up by the dash. Very handy ash tray or old food or whatever. But even though I wouldn't take a chance and stand in front of one. I'm sure the LE guys and gals will laugh at memories of this. Now ammo is what I worry about. It had better be modern day stuff NOT whats been laying around and your to cheap to get rid of it by shooting it or give it to a friend who doesn't use it for protection.

#32 ·
Cleaned after every use. Get in the reloading room, turn on some good music, and I just plum enjoy myself. Carry guns get cleaned, inspected and lubed every month, shot or not shot.

Reactions: Hawker800
#33 ·
I clean after every use, and blow/clean the fuzzies out of the carry guns monthly or sooner. I like to oil everything roughly monthly. Use Rem-oil and Shooters Choice, Montana Xtreme bore polish or Remington 40X bore polish as needed.

I enjoy cleaning/maintaining my stuff, have a lot of money invested in this stuff and it's fun to know they're ready with just a patch through the bore for a trip to the range.

#34 ·
For me it's sort of a ritual. A day at the range is dedicated to the entire process. Practice and function checks, trying new ammo, yakin with friends, and taking the time to 'caress' the firearm. All weapons get my personal TLC after use...

Reactions: cousinmark
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.