Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Roxie32
  • 1 Post By Chuck43

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2017, 08:36 PM   #1

Update on custom Crimson

Just wanted to update everyone and thank you for your help.
I had two custom Crimson carry's with a failure to feed issue on both. I finally got time after the holiday to get them back to the range. I ended up loosening the extractor tension as they seemed heavy from the kimber factory. I bent one first, and left the second the same. Bought Wilson combat mags for both. The one that I adjusted the extractor on ran clean for 200 rounds which was a huge relief, because I was jamming every 4-5 rounds sometimes more. The second Crimson I did not adjust operated the same f2f every 4th round. I have a feeling I did not adjust the second Crimson enough b/c after the gun got dirty over 150 rounds it began to jam again. I think I have the issue zeroed in and I will adjust the extractors a bit more and see what happens. I did not want to over do it as these are my first firearms and I'm learning about them.

One question I do have is does anyone have issues with federal American eagle fmj 230 grain ammo? I seemed to have more trouble with that over the Winchester white box ammo. The Winchester ran clean for 200 rounds, that was all I had. I bought another valve pack box of 200 for my next range trip. If my extractors are the issue could they be ammo sensitive?

As a whole I feel much better about their performance and mine for that matter. I also have found that the kimber is extremely accurate compared to other .45 caliber handguns. At 35 yards my kimber was walking the walk. Very impressive. I think.
Roxie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-02-2017, 09:04 PM   #2

Roxie, ammos do behave differently sometimes. Although extractor may be off, most common issue is with feed ramp. I'd keep shooting it for another couple hundred rounds and see if things even out. Run it wet.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:25 PM   #3

Well the extractors were definitely too heavy 100%. So your saying lube the feed ramp with a little oil? Won't that attract more powder residue? What about polish, maybe use aluminum polish.
Nellybelle likes this.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:44 PM   #4

Nice range report always like to hear about adjustments that work. I would not run the feed ramp wet. Just lube your normal points, just lube more liberally until you feel it is properly broken in.

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:05 PM   #5

Originally Posted by Roxie32 View Post
I ended up loosening the extractor tension as they seemed heavy from the kimber factory. I bent one first, and left the second the same. Bought Wilson combat mags for both. The one that I adjusted the extractor on ran clean for 200 rounds which was a huge relief, because I was jamming every 4-5 rounds sometimes more. The second Crimson I did not adjust operated the same f2f every 4th round.

Good on ya, Rox.
I love it when regular folks are confident enough to tackle challenges that the professionals were unable to conquer.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:40 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Roxie32 View Post
Well the extractors were definitely too heavy 100%. So your saying lube the feed ramp with a little oil? Won't that attract more powder residue? What about polish, maybe use aluminum polish.
Do not lube the feed ramp and polishing your feed ramp could void your warranty. Just clean and lube the gun every 100 - 150 rounds like your owners manual says and continue to shoot FMJ ammo to help break in your gun.
Marshall likes this.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:23 PM   #7

Ok, that sounds like a plan. I def. do not want to void warranty. And like I said they ran really well after the minor adjustment with the extractor. I will leave everything alone for now and take another range trip. I'm hoping that another 150 will let me know if I got everything right. I guess it's just a confidence thing. When they were jamming every 4 rounds it bummed me out. I feel better now but another 150 clean down range I think would put my mind at ease.