I Just Can't Decide... - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2014, 12:50 PM   #1

I Just Can't Decide...

I want to get an Ultra but am having a hard time deciding on which particular model. I am primarily considering the Tactical, Eclipse, Super Carry HD, Master Carry. They all have some different features that have some appeal and it is difficult to pick the "best" combination of those features. For those of you who own one or more of these which features of those models stand out to you?

This would be my EDC if I ever decide to carry (for now which primarily just be target shooting). I have a Custom Crimson Carry for home defense.

What do you think of the carry melt treatment on the Super Carry HD?
What do you thing of the rounded frame on the Master Carry/Super Carry HD?
What about the steel frame on the Eclipse and Super Carry HD? Does it add too much weight for any benefit it might bring?
What is the benefit of the magazine well on the Tactical?
How is the front strap checkering on the Tactical and Eclipse? Does it enhance the grip much? Same question with the serrations on the Super Carry.
Is the ambi safety good or bad? I am right handed so it seems unnecessary.

I know I need to head to the LGS to see if I can fondle some of these to try and make up my own mind but would appreciate any thoughts from the masses.

Thanks in advance for any input you can offer. Serious cash is involved so I want to make an informed purchase decision. At the end of the day, they are all excellent firearms so I probably can't go wrong...
maansmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-21-2014, 02:02 PM   #2

Originally Posted by maansmit View Post
I want to get an Ultra but am having a hard time deciding on which particular model. I am primarily considering the Tactical, Eclipse, Super Carry HD, Master Carry. They all have some different features that have some appeal and it is difficult to pick the "best" combination of those features. For those of you who own one or more of these which features of those models stand out to you?

This would be my EDC if I ever decide to carry (for now which primarily just be target shooting). I have a Custom Crimson Carry for home defense.

What do you think of the carry melt treatment on the Super Carry HD? LOVE IT
What do you thing of the rounded frame on the Master Carry/Super Carry HD? LOVE IT. VERY COMFORTABLE
What about the steel frame on the Eclipse and Super Carry HD? Does it add too much weight for any benefit it might bring? A GOOD HOLSTER WILL MAKE THE EXTRA FEW OUNCES DISAPPEAR. THE EXTRA WEIGHT STABILIZES THE WEAPON, IMO
How is the front strap checkering on the Tactical and Eclipse? Does it enhance the grip much? Same question with the serrations on the Super Carry. FRONT SERRATIONS ON SCUHD ARE VERY MILD, BUT I LIKE THEM
Is the ambi safety good or bad? I am right handed so it seems unnecessary. I ONLY USE THE AMBI SAFETY TO CHECK 'SAFETY ON' CONDITION WHILE HOLSTERED.

I know I need to head to the LGS to see if I can fondle some of these to try and make up my own mind but would appreciate any thoughts from the masses.

Thanks in advance for any input you can offer. Serious cash is involved so I want to make an informed purchase decision. At the end of the day, they are all excellent firearms so I probably can't go wrong...
Don't let the heft of the HD throw you off. It makes for a super sweet shooting gun. And the difference in weight while holstered feels minimal.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:18 PM   #3

Which one would you think Ultraman would recommend?
Ultraman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2014, 05:33 PM   #4

Wink My 2 Cents Worth!!

I highly suggest a trip to the LGS. Check out his Kimber display!! Have the salesman drag out one of everything you like. Then, look at them, handle them, check the actions and trigger pulls and finally drool on them (the salesman make make you wipe them down afterwards). If one doesn't start screaming, "Take me home!!", your last resort is: Eannie, meanie, minie, mo! ! Be happy with whatever pistol your finger winds up pointing at!!!

That's all the help you get out of me!! Unless of course you happen to be buying one for me. If that is the case, I'll make a choice so fast that it will make your head spin!!! No wishy-washy here!!! I'll take the Stainless Ultra Raptor II, Mr. Salesman. My close personal friend, Maansmit, will cover the cost!!

It's that easy!! Try it!!!

rockon.gifrockon.gifrockon.gif

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter

Last edited by Lineman; 08-21-2014 at 05:44 PM.
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:34 PM   #5
Super Moderator

What about the steel frame on the Eclipse and Super Carry HD? Does it add too much weight for any benefit it might bring?
How is the front strap checkering on the Tactical and Eclipse? Does it enhance the grip much? Same question with the serrations on the Super Carry.
The carry melt treatment (Sights and edges are rounded and blended so clothing will not catch) is the same on any gun it's offered on in Kimbers line. I have 2 guns with it and like the looks of it but I really don't see any advantage in having it other then cosmetic.

The rounded heel helps break up the profile on the gun under clothing. As for comfort I haven't noticed any difference between my Super Carry Pro and and of my other non rounded heel 1911's.

The weight difference between the steel and aluminum frame is 6 oz. does it make a difference, yes it does if you intend to shoot more then 40 - 50 thousand rounds through the gun otherwise you're just carrying around an extra 6 oz. again this is just my opinion.

If you notice the Super carry and the Master Carry lines are the only Kimbers that don't have a II after their names. This means that they don't have a firing pin block built into the guns. All other guns come with the built in block.

The mag well makes changing magazines a little faster, think of it as a funnel guiding the magazine up into the gun frame.

The Super Carry has serrations like fish scales that work but not as well as checkering. I have an Ultra CDP and the checkering offers a much better grip, if I could I'd rather have checkering on my Super Carry.

Ambi safety's are a personal choice, all my carry guns have them and night sights. I'm also right handed but you never know what's going to happen that's why I practice shooting with my weak hand.

Master Carry: Have you shot guns with a laser sight? Most people I know including some on the forum here found that they can't shoot as well with the laser as they can using the guns sights. The CT laser grip is a $300.00 item, I had a 1911 with a set and gave it to my kid because I couldn't hit with it, he shot it a couple of times and decided to take them off and put a set of regular grips on the gun.

Super Carry: This is the only gun in Kimbers line that comes with a set of night sights with a cocking shoulder. If one of your hands become disabled (it happened to me) you can still rack the slide by hooking the rear sight on your belt, pants pocket, boot, counter top what ever.

It's not perfect but I think the Super Carry line comes closer to the perfect carry gun then any other gun that Kimber offers, the name says it all, Super Carry.
Insta-Gator likes this.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:47 PM   #6

First I will say I don't own any of those four Kimber models. However, any of them would make a fine EDC weapon.
My choice in a Ultra of the pistols you listed would be the "Master Carry." Your results may vary.
The ambi-safety would pretty much only come into play if you entered competitions or if you were injured and could not use your right hand/arm.
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:45 AM   #7

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
The carry melt treatment (Sights and edges are rounded and blended so clothing will not catch) is the same on any gun it's offered on in Kimbers line. I have 2 guns with it and like the looks of it but I really don't see any advantage in having it other then cosmetic.

The rounded heel helps break up the profile on the gun under clothing. As for comfort I haven't noticed any difference between my Super Carry Pro and and of my other non rounded heel 1911's.

The weight difference between the steel and aluminum frame is 6 oz. does it make a difference, yes it does if you intend to shoot more then 40 - 50 thousand rounds through the gun otherwise you're just carrying around an extra 6 oz. again this is just my opinion.

If you notice the Super carry and the Master Carry lines are the only Kimbers that don't have a II after their names. This means that they don't have a firing pin block built into the guns. All other guns come with the built in block.

The mag well makes changing magazines a little faster, think of it as a funnel guiding the magazine up into the gun frame.

The Super Carry has serrations like fish scales that work but not as well as checkering. I have an Ultra CDP and the checkering offers a much better grip, if I could I'd rather have checkering on my Super Carry.

Ambi safety's are a personal choice, all my carry guns have them and night sights. I'm also right handed but you never know what's going to happen that's why I practice shooting with my weak hand.

Master Carry: Have you shot guns with a laser sight? Most people I know including some on the forum here found that they can't shoot as well with the laser as they can using the guns sights. The CT laser grip is a $300.00 item, I had a 1911 with a set and gave it to my kid because I couldn't hit with it, he shot it a couple of times and decided to take them off and put a set of regular grips on the gun.

Super Carry: This is the only gun in Kimbers line that comes with a set of night sights with a cocking shoulder. If one of your hands become disabled (it happened to me) you can still rack the slide by hooking the rear sight on your belt, pants pocket, boot, counter top what ever.

It's not perfect but I think the Super Carry line comes closer to the perfect carry gun then any other gun that Kimber offers, the name says it all, Super Carry.

I have a Custom Crimson Carry so the laser doesn't bother me and I like the concept of having it on there. I generally use the regular sights for target shooting but I like the idea of having the laser there for more difficult/high stress situations.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:32 AM   #8

Stopped by a LGS but they only had a Super Carry (not HD). It did feel nice. Now I just need to track down some other models.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:34 AM   #9

It's hard to find the HD models, for some reason. I had to order mine online. But the week before I was very lucky to discover one of the ranges in the area had a SCUHD in their rental stock. I was really surprised.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:45 AM   #10

Found my Super Carry Pro HD at Cabellas.

Mario Andretti
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote