Range report, Eclipse Pro II - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2014, 07:32 PM   #1

Range report, Eclipse Pro II

This is my first Kimber and my first 1911. On my first trip to the range I ran 150 rounds through it. All were my reloads.

I realize the break-in procedure includes putting 500 rounds through it. I never questioned several failures to feed. Although my other two 45's feed these flawlessly. However, I was somewhat puzzled by light strikes on the primers. I did not count them but four separate cartridges comes to mind. All fired on the second strike but one. It was hit four times before it fired. I viewed the primer after each strike and observed a very minor dent each time, until it fired.

The primers were, CCI Large Pistol, that perform without fail in my other two 45's and a 44 Special.

I have two S&W 45's, one 9mm and over a dozen revolvers and none have produced light primer strikes until the occasional hammer spring failed.

What am I to believe here? Are these things that tight and temperamental until they have been fed 500 rounds? Just curious.
Highpockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-21-2014, 07:46 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Did you clean and lube the gun before taking it to the range for the first time? If you did lube the gun is it possible you could have gotten lube in the firing pin? Most times when I've encountered light strikes it was caused by a dirty firing pin, lube in the firing pin will be like a magnet for burnt gunpowder.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:37 PM   #3

Yes, I cleaned and lubed it but put no oil in the firing pin passage. I will try blowing it out with an aerosol cleaner. Thanks.

Old 08-23-2014, 06:30 PM   #4
Super Moderator

You could try removing the firing pin from the slide, it's not difficult and doesn't require any special tools or skills. That way you could clean the spring, firing pin and the hole in the slide it sits in. Try doing a search on youtube you should be able to find a video to guide you.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:44 PM   #5

Cool Here Ya Go!

This video will show you how to get your firing pin, and spring out. Cleaning should be easy once it's out!!

Happy cleaning!!! Be sure to keep us updated as to whether the cleaning helps. If it doesn't help, it is time to send your pistol on a little vacation to Yonkers, New York!!! Call Kimber customer service first and they will instruct you as to how to ship the pistol. They will do "their thing" and send it back after they have worked their magic!!! I'm sure that it will function up to your expectation after words!!

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter

Last edited by Lineman; 08-23-2014 at 10:57 PM.
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:02 AM   #6

Ever notice this guy likes to put his thumb inside the trigger guard while pressing the slide back to ensure the gun is clear? Seems like a bad idea, to me.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:57 AM   #7
Super Moderator

That's a good video Keith but it won't work on a Kimber II series gun. Series II's have a firing pin block that won't allow the firing pin to be pressed in. You need to depress and hold in the firing pin block while depressing the firing pin so you can remove the stop. The firing pin is being depressed on the left while the block is being depressed on the right. Once the firing pin is depressed in you can release the pressure on the block.

Old 08-24-2014, 06:36 AM   #8

you said these where reloads, if the primers are not set deep enough it will cause this to happen. as for the other guns firing them they may have a different head space or possible a stronger main spring. I would try it with some factory ammo before I did anything to the gun.
Insta-Gator likes this.
v35b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:04 PM   #9

Chuck 43, your info was most helpful. I have removed the firing pin, cleaned the pin, the spring and the channel. I will conduct a range session tomorrow.

v35b, I understand that when one's expertise is unknown it is only practical to question and verify that expertise before accepting it. Rest assured that primer seating or head spacing is not an issue here.

Thank you all for your concern and your input. I will keep you posted.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:15 PM   #10

Question Oops!

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
That's a good video Keith but it won't work on a Kimber II series gun. Series II's have a firing pin block that won't allow the firing pin to be pressed in. You need to depress and hold in the firing pin block while depressing the firing pin so you can remove the stop. The firing pin is being depressed on the left while the block is being depressed on the right. Once the firing pin is depressed in you can release the pressure on the block.

You are right, Chuck!! I just saw the replacement of the firing pin spring and jumped on that video. I should have made sure it was for a 1911 with a Swartz firing pin block. (USE THE SWARTZ!!!!!). At least Highpockets got the right idea and was able to get the pin and spring out for cleaning. Hope a good cleaning cures his problem!!! Sorry about the incorrect video, Hipockets!!

Thanks for the reminder about the firing pin block. It was my "some-timers" kicking in!!!

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter

Last edited by Lineman; 08-24-2014 at 10:19 PM.
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

kimber eclipse 45 forum

Click on a term to search for related topics.