New rusty Kimber CDP?? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2017, 10:30 AM   #1

New rusty Kimber CDP??

I recently purchased a new CDP II, a gun I've wanted for years. I received it and immediately cleaned it. While cleaning, I noticed the magazine was rusty, not what I expected for such an expensive gun. I accidentally scratched the black frame during reassembly. It was my fault, but I would've thought they would've used a more durable coating, rather than paint. Less than a month into my experience, I began to notice several areas of rust on the stainless steel slide? A little research revealed the foam lined case it was shipped in causes it to rust? I've owned numerous stainless guns, I've never had one rust so quickly, regardless of how it's stored. To make matters worse, I found that Kimber doesn't have an email address to voice my concerns. Then after receiving no answer when calling the customer service phone number, I realize they don't have an answering service. Needless to say, I am far from satisfied with Kimber and it's product! Can anyone help me understand this?
chorst294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-13-2017, 11:47 AM   #2

That's too bad to hear but rest assured Kimber will bend over backwards to make the situation right for you.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:51 AM   #3

Originally Posted by Cucamonga kid View Post
That's too bad to hear but rest assured Kimber will bend over backwards to make the situation right for you.
i agree. i am sure that they will make it right.
Lost_Technique is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2017, 02:29 PM   #4

I sure hope so. A good friend had the Pro Carry CDP several years ago and had a rust problem. I have always thought of Kimber as a premier gun maker, I sure hope this is an isolated incident.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:47 PM   #5

Stainless rusting...wth
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 02:55 PM   #6

That's kinda what I thought. I've owned numerous stainless guns that didn't have a rust problem. Some people say Kimber uses steel with a high carbon content, which is prone to rust, but less brittle. Not sure why since I have stainless guns of much more powerful calibers that don't rust or break. A day of research has revealed the email address of a Kimber management member. I'll update after our email exchange.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:29 PM   #7
Super Moderator

I keep all my Kimbers in their original box with the foam lining in my safe and never had a problem with rust. Stainless steel is not rust proof it's rust resistant, it still needs to be wiped down with a oily rag before being put it in storage.
MrWicked likes this.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:47 PM   #8

The first thing I did with this gun when I got it new one month ago is clean and oil it (Rem Oil). I cleaned it and oiled it after every time I shot it, twice so far. I kept it oiled, in the original box, and in my gun safe. There are four small spots where it's starting to rust. I know stainless isn't rust proof, but I've never seen one rust so quickly. It's a mystery to me, I have 40 year old blued guns that don't rust as easy. I'm curious to hear back from the Kimber staff.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:45 PM   #9

I agree with Chuck. I don't know what happened to yours. All my Kimber's the new ones and most of the used ones have been shipped inside a heavily oiled blue plastic bag with Kimber written in black, then inside the plastic case not directly touching the foam in the case.

See sample of bag in pic below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GB Custom.jpg (135.5 KB, 25 views)
Hawker800 likes this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 02:21 AM   #10

I also agree with Chuck, I see Stainless steel rust all the time at work.
Maybe it's time to try a different oil, I've been using FP10 on all 3 of my Kimber's and the rest of my Stainless guns and I have never seen rust on any of them.
Chuck43, 2sharp2 and Cybercycle like this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote