22 Conversion - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Chickadee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2014, 08:03 AM   #1

22 Conversion

I just tried the 22 conversion. Long rifle ammo Will rarely cycle the slide but mini mags work fine. I know, lubrication and cleaning is everything. Mine was new and well lubricated. Also, the bolt would not stay open after the last round. I assume that this is normal, due to the smaller magazine.

Whaddayathink folks?
Highpockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-10-2014, 08:14 AM   #2

Do you have a reliable source of the mini mags? We haven't been able to find those for quite awhile, which is a shame since it's the only round our Sig Mosquito likes.

For the same reason, I haven't really looked into the .22 conversion kits for any of my pistols. All of our .22's have become 'safe queens'.
Chuck43 likes this.

Mario Andretti
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:15 AM   #3
Super Moderator

I have a Kimber .22 conversion kit that I use and you're right on both counts. CCI mini mags and Remington Thunderbolt are what I usually shoot when I can find them. There is a guy at my local range that put a lighter recoil spring in his and got it to work with lower power rounds but I don't know what he used. The kit is not designed to lock the slide open after the last round is fired.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:21 AM   #4

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
I have a Kimber .22 conversion kit that I use and you're right on both counts. CCI mini mags and Remington Thunderbolt are what I usually shoot when I can find them. There is a guy at my local range that put a lighter recoil spring in his and got it to work with lower power rounds but I don't know what he used. The kit is not designed to lock the slide open after the last round is fired.
That is what I expected, it is advertised for target use, not self defense.

Thank you.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:20 AM   #5

Originally Posted by Chickadee View Post
Do you have a reliable source of the mini mags? We haven't been able to find those for quite awhile, which is a shame since it's the only round our Sig Mosquito likes.

For the same reason, I haven't really looked into the .22 conversion kits for any of my pistols. All of our .22's have become 'safe queens'.
All too familiar with .22's. I stocked up on mini mags long ago. Not only do they run well, but pretty darn accurate @25 yards. Nothing but problems with other brands so I just gave up and cleared the shelves long before the shortage. My butthead little brother stocked up as well; problem is, he doesn't own a rimfire pistol or rifle
Ultraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:39 PM   #6

I found the mini mags at a lgs in Paris, Illinois. They just received them and charged $19.95 for 100.

I don't believe the dealer was scalping as their other ammo was only about a dollar above Wal-Mart prices. I believe the distributors or manufacturers have raised the prices, possibly, to discourage hoarding. If one is hoarding or planning to resell, the higher initial price will deter buying.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:50 PM   #7

Originally Posted by Highpockets View Post
I found the mini mags at a lgs in Paris, Illinois. They just received them and charged $19.95 for 100.

I don't believe the dealer was scalping as their other ammo was only about a dollar above Wal-Mart prices. I believe the distributors or manufacturers have raised the prices, possibly, to discourage hoarding. If one is hoarding or planning to resell, the higher initial price will deter buying.
Mine still have the $7.99 stickers on them
Ultraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:00 PM   #8
Super Moderator

.20 cents a round is way out of line for .22's, I can get 9mm for .21 cents a round. I won't pay more then .10 cents a round for .22's.