Pro TLE 2 first shoot and impressions!!! - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2014, 10:16 PM   #1

Pro TLE 2 first shoot and impressions!!!

Ok now, a little back story before we delve into today's adventure...

I'm a recently turned 40 year old, that was born and raised in New Orleans. I've been around firearms my whole life, but not necessarily in an exotic or interesting capacity per se. My dad had a bowling ball-looking swirly blue 4-10 crack barrel as I recall, and my various uncles had the odd 'Saturday Night Special' or random hunting rifle. I'd never fired any of them, or even expressed interest in doing so...but I was taught to respect them from my first encounter. They were all ex military, and were really good about stuff like that. Oh, and they'd relinquish the odd Miller High Life Pony to me to satiate my adolescent angsts. But I digress...

Fast forward to my early 20's, and an interesting opportunity was proposed to me that tapped into a primal interest that had yet gone untapped. My friend (a reserve sheriff's deputy at the time & prior military) asked me if I'd like to help him open a gun sales and training store, and I leapt at the chance. And boy am I glad I did! Over the next two years I learned everything he had to teach about guns, and how to properly fire them. Which leads me to the chronological progression of pistols that I've owned throughout the years.

First, because KICKASS that's why, was a magnificent stainless steel 4" Smith & Wesson Model 686 357 revolver with wooden grips! There just wasn't anything more American (in my mind at the time mind you), menacing, and reliable than that 5lbs of steel dangling from my hip. Looking back, I'd imagine I felt a bit like Clint Eastwood...damn I miss that pistol.

Second, and I blame Lethal Weapon entirely, was a beautiful Beretta 92f. I'd sold the 686 in favor of the more modern 92f...feeling as though I'd transitioned from the gritty poncho-laden western frontiersman...to the rogue inner city detective, hell bent on saving the innocent...with no less than the 16 9mm rounds at my disposal! My God, it was SOOO futuristic! And to it's credit, it made me a better shooter...ego notwithstanding. Funny how this became relevant earlier today.

Third, ohhh my third...my love...and what I was 100% sure was going to be the last pistol I'd ever need or desire... A glorious Heckler & Koch full-sized USP 9mm v7. The most reliable pistol SoCom had ever tested, and the sexiest piece of German Machinery short for a Porsche Twin Turbo 911...or the Mercedes 300sl Gull-wing. Anyway! That was to be it, the bookend to my short pistol progression! Life was amazing! Until...

So, about two weeks ago I see a Kimber Pro TLE 2 pop up for sale on one of the Facebook's gun sales forums, and it jars a memory. A friend had mentioned that they'd always wanted a Kimber, and asked if I'd heard of them and knew of anyone selling one. No was the answer to the second question...but as for the first, well...yes, I'd heard of this mysterious Kimber. Now, without dragging you guys down another rabbit hole of my emotional connections to inanimate objects, I'll just say I've been a wristwatch collector and aficionado for most of my life. Well, Kimber had been likened to that of a high end Swiss or even German watch. A comparison I'd heard a few times over the years, but had not focussed on..because why would I? I mean...I had an H&K USP!!!

Ok, back to the friend and the Kimber for sale. It's a friday night, and we'd indulged in just the right amount of libations to know better than to make any purchasing decisions...but I figured, what the hell. Lets see if its still for sale on FB?? And it WAS! Sort of. You see, the seller had a sale pending for that following monday...but the prospective buyer had already flaked and seemed to be leaning towards doing it again. Hmmmmm. So, almost in joking, I fire the guy off a message asking if he'd take $1000 cash "tonight". We snickered at the hypothetical possibility of buying said weapon so flippantly and on the fly, ordered another round, and let the concept begin to drift from our minds...but the guy wrote back. Quickly. And wouldn't you freaking know it, said: "YES...COME BY AND PICK IT UP!"

Crap.

So we had to go! BUT! There was a problem! I'll concede that the tequila surely didn't help with his logic, but my buddy told me that he wouldn't have the $1000 until TUESDAY!!! Now, this was definitely a pickle...and one he couldn't comprehend! He didn't/doesn't comprehend the honor code among buyers and sellers of goods within forums online!! I did the only thing I could do...I offered to buy it for him and he could just pay me back that upcoming Tuesday.

The rest is a blur to me. Not because of the perfectly crafted top shelf scratch-made margaritas, but because some sort of unseen hand took over. For the next 3 days, I sat totally mesmerized by this weapon that I figured was just reserved for retired cops with ostrich accents from head to toe...or magazine covers...or maybe both. Who knows...

What I do know, is that by that Tuesday..I'd convinced my friend to buy my H&K from me and I'd kept the Kimber for myself!

Which leads me, albeit via the long route (sorry!), to today! And my first time ever firing a 1911! I'll try to let the pics do the talking from here on...

This is after firing my first two mags ever through her, at about 12 feet. I've never fired anything that felt more natural in my hands! (Well, maybe except for this girl that worked for me years ago..but never mind that.) Now, granted, it's not at Rigg's distance...but still.

Did I mention the killer deal I got on 6 MUCH better than Kimber mags yesterday???

All in all, I fired about 200 rounds through her without a single failure. Talk about a beauty AND A beast! I've never shot better in my life. I'm blown away! Literally!

So, post range...it was naturally time to celebrate!

Then home, to do my first ever 1911 break down and cleaning! Wow! I have the "bull barrel". Sweet! Right?

Well, she went back together with minimal fuss...to my surprise! I can say, without hesitation, that I will have this pistol for the rest of my life. I MAY buy others over the years...but I'll never part with this one. Wow. Just...WOW.

Thanks for enduring this whole thing, and thanks for welcoming me into your community! Life is definitely....GREAT!!!!
Lineman, shin0bi1 and RetiredFCC like this.

Last edited by Diver_dylan; 10-07-2014 at 10:41 PM.
Diver_dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-07-2014, 10:31 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Love your story. Congratulations on an outstanding Kimber!

Ohio Chl holder
NRA member
Old age isn't for sissy's
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:36 PM   #3

Originally Posted by Islander View Post
Love your story. Congratulations on an outstanding Kimber!
Thanks brother!

Old 10-07-2014, 10:47 PM   #4

Fantastic story! Thanks for all the pics too!

Mario Andretti
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:56 PM   #5

Originally Posted by Chickadee View Post
Fantastic story! Thanks for all the pics too!
Thanks ma'am!!!
Old 10-08-2014, 06:47 AM   #6
Super Moderator

A great story and nice pictures, well done Diver_dylan.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:08 AM   #7

Ha! The real A T F...Alcohol, Tacos and Firearms..I love it..what a country..the only thing you need to add is more Kimbers
oz white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:12 AM   #8

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
A great story and nice pictures, well done Diver_dylan.
Thank you!!!
Old 10-08-2014, 08:13 AM   #9

Originally Posted by oz white View Post
Ha! The real A T F...Alcohol, Tacos and Firearms..I love it..what a country..the only thing you need to add is more Kimbers
HAHAHAHAHA!!!! Indeed!!!!!
Old 10-08-2014, 01:04 PM   #10

Great story and great pictures. Well don my friend, well done.

KEEP CALM AND RETURN FIRE

NRA Life Member
Dude22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

first impression in tle

kimber pro tle2

smith and wesson 686 for sale

Click on a term to search for related topics.