3" ultra carry reliability? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2014, 01:04 PM   #1

3" ultra carry reliability?

I am new to this 1911 stuff since the last one I bought was over 15 years ago. My latest is a 3" Ultra Carry. I really like this gun. After about 300-400 rounds of 230 fmj I have had no failures to feed or eject. The slide always stays open after the last shot. As I have been researching ammo, grips, magazines etc regarding this gun I have run across a lot of internet chatter about how the 3" 1911 are inherently unreliable and that it is just a matter of time before they fail, or worse yet they just don't work well even new. Any comments or reports would be appreciated. In the end I am aware that it is ME that has to have confidence in the gun to fire 100%. Along the same lines if anyone could recomemend a HP factory load that works well I would appreciate it. Again I realize I have to run them through my gun but it would be nice to have a place to start.
twistedlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-15-2014, 01:27 PM   #2

Well, here we go again. Sometimes 3" barrel guns have issues, sometimes 5" barrel weapons have issues. I have three Ultra model Kimbers and one 3" barrel Detonics Combat Master. I have never had a failure with any of them. The Detonics probably has close to 10,000 rounds fired, not sure the exact number was not popular to count rounds back in the day.
Just like any other product...can you buy a bad pistol? Yes. Can Kimber repair it? Yes. Buy one try it, you can always sell it.
I think some people are using Hornady Critical Defense. I am using some Winchester Silver Tips.

Last edited by 2sharp2; 10-15-2014 at 01:33 PM.
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:33 PM   #3
Super Moderator

I've heard/read all the internet talk about 3" 1911's and still went ahead and bought my first one. I've got a 9mm Ultra CDP II and I'm 900 trouble free rounds into it. It's as dependable as any of my 4" or 5" Kimbers and I like it so much I'm now shopping for an Ultra size Eclipse.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:55 PM   #4

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
I've heard/read all the internet talk about 3" 1911's and still went ahead and bought my first one. I've got a 9mm Ultra CDP II and I'm 900 trouble free rounds into it. It's as dependable as any of my 4" or 5" Kimbers and I like it so much I'm now shopping for an Ultra size Eclipse.
Okay, I am biased, but that was my first Kimber and still love it (even though my daughter owns it now).

As for the OP's question, mine was trouble free for the first 6 thousand rounds or so. It began slinging brass to my face and sent it back to Kimber and they fixed it (angled the ejector and replaced the extractor and R/C spring) free of charge and shipping. They also replaced a dead front night sight without me even asking and refinished the entire pistol; still free of charge.
The all steel Ultras are tame with recoil in .45 and extremely accurate out to 25 yards.
Ultraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:03 PM   #5

Thanks all. I am sure this has been asked a number of times and I appreciate your comments. To tell you the truth it never even entered my mind with a quality gun like Kimer that there could even be issues. I have fussed around with glocks and found you could get a nice light crisp trigger pull but it was always at the compromise of reliability. I had a Wilson Combat conversion 15 years or so ago and this current ultra carry. After about 500 through the Wilson and 3-400 through the Kimber I have never had a single glitch so I was wondering what the issues were about.\
james901 likes this.
twistedlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:32 PM   #6

I think you made a mistake in purchasing a 3" 1911 in .45. Big mistake.

Send it to me so you do not put yourself in a dangerously compromised situation.
JCBnPHX likes this.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:58 PM   #7

Originally Posted by Insta-Gator View Post

Send it to me so you do not put yourself in a dangerously compromised situation.
That ain't fair Gator, you still have one. Send it to me.
Insta-Gator likes this.
Ultraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:47 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Insta-Gator View Post

Originally Posted by Ultraman View Post
That ain't fair Gator, you still have one. Send it to me.
Seriously if anyone should get it it should be me. I've already posted that I was looking for one before either of you even read this thread
Old 10-15-2014, 06:01 PM   #9

I just took a look at the notebook that I keep on round counts for each of our firearms..
It says that GiGi's Ultra TLE is 80 shy of 1000 flawless rounds through it and we feel very comfortable that it is her EDC and we never ever worry that it won't go bang each and every time...
Chuck43 likes this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:06 PM   #10

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
Seriously if anyone should get it it should be me. I've already posted that I was looking for one before either of you even read this thread

Mmmm, I agree with Chuck he called it first!
Chuck43 likes this.
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page
best defense ammo for kimber ultra carry

kimber ultra carry 2 reliability

kimber ultra carry accuracy
kimber ultra carry reliability
kimber ultra cdp reliabiity

kimber ultra reliability

reliability of kimber ultra carry
ultra carry ii reliability
Click on a term to search for related topics.