Raptor 2: pre-range report - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2014, 10:54 AM   #1

Raptor 2: pre-range report

I just this week picked-up a pistol I've had my eye on for a long time: Kimber Raptor 2. It's the Government size in black. This is my first Kimber but third 1911 type pistol. I'm hoping to make it to the range today for a quick first shoot (and I'll report on that here) but after disassembly and cleaning yesterday I thought I'd write a "Pre-range" report.
This thing was really dirty. I mean the inside of this thing was like it had a few hundred rounds of Win White Box run through it before I got it (bought NIB from a gun store). This is the fifteenth firearm I've ever bought (new) and I can't remember any of them (most USA made, some not) needing this much cleaning right out of the box. Not sure this means anything but I thought it was interesting.
Reassembly went pretty well. Not quite as tightly fitted as my SS Springfield Loaded and with fewer sharp edges too. As per the manual; I was mindful not to depress the grip safety while removing or installing the slide due to the series-80 safety. My other two 1911's are series-70 so this was a new twist on things.
Now it's all cleaned and oiled up. When I get back from the range today I'll post another report on how it ran. Sure is a cool looking pistol.
glokrok likes this.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:00 AM   #2

Wonder if the LGS was renting it? Or if some of the employees had fired it? Seems crazy to have a 'new in box' pistol that dirty. All 3 of my Kimbers were pretty clean out of the box, just oily.

Mario Andretti
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:56 AM   #3

Never had one that dirty either. I suspect someone with the LGS took it for a test run.
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2014, 01:06 PM   #4
Super Moderator

First congratulations on the new Kimber Raptor. Second I have to agree with the others, I've had a few new Kimbers and not once have I gotten a dirty one, oily yes, dirty no.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:56 PM   #5

This thought ocured to me as well but the LGS does not have a range and the pistol seemed to be packed normally in the box from the factory (gun inside blue plastic bag, everything else undisturbed). My example was not the display gun in the showcase. I would also add that the outside of the pistol wasn't unusually dirty and the SS barrel seemed clean inside compared to the rest of the insides.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:58 PM   #6

Originally Posted by 1trickpony View Post
I just this week picked-up a pistol I've had my eye on for a long time: Kimber Raptor 2. It's the Government size in black. This is my first Kimber but third 1911 type pistol. I'm hoping to make it to the range today for a quick first shoot (and I'll report on that here) but after disassembly and cleaning yesterday I thought I'd write a "Pre-range" report.
This thing was really dirty. I mean the inside of this thing was like it had a few hundred rounds of Win White Box run through it before I got it (bought NIB from a gun store). This is the fifteenth firearm I've ever bought (new) and I can't remember any of them (most USA made, some not) needing this much cleaning right out of the box. Not sure this means anything but I thought it was interesting.
Reassembly went pretty well. Not quite as tightly fitted as my SS Springfield Loaded and with fewer sharp edges too. As per the manual; I was mindful not to depress the grip safety while removing or installing the slide due to the series-80 safety. My other two 1911's are series-70 so this was a new twist on things.
Now it's all cleaned and oiled up. When I get back from the range today I'll post another report on how it ran. Sure is a cool looking pistol.
I feel EXACTLY the same way about my RAPTOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DGM1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:05 PM   #7

Originally Posted by DGM1962 View Post
I feel EXACTLY the same way about my RAPTOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Was your Raptor dirty inside from the factory? I've been thinking maybe it was the black oxide finish coming off or something. Cleaning the outside didn't seem to bother the finish so maybe that's not what was happening. I dunno.
I've only had time to shoot this Raptor once with a few problems that I posted about. Hoping to get to the range again soon to put a few more break-in rounds through it. That is if work and other stuff would leave me alone long enough for a quick range-trip!
Old 02-16-2015, 03:05 AM   #8

Hi there. I recently got the same gun; mine was used and really dirty. Tore it apart and cleaned and lubed. Hope to get out and shoot it this week. I can't recall ever getting a new gun I would describe as dirty. This was also my third 1911. Hope your range report turns out well.

Ed
Crazy Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:27 PM   #9

Good luck and let us know how it goes. I'm really debating a raptor or super carry hd.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:31 PM   #10

Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
Good luck and let us know how it goes. I'm really debating a raptor or super carry hd.
Both sound really great and just ask Gator since he is lucky enough to have them both...
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

is the raptor 2 series 80?

Click on a term to search for related topics.