Raptor 2: Range report - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2014, 05:26 PM   #1

Raptor 2: Range report

Mostly good news with a little bit of bad for the Raptor's first range trip. I only had time for a quick one-hour session at a nearby indoor range. I fired about 150 rounds of Blazzer Brass, S&B, & Federal FMJ 230gr ammo. I brought along a few other 8-round magazines with me beside the one that came with the pistol: Stainless steel Colt, SS Mec Gar, SS Chip McCormick Power Mag, SS Kimber, and a black ARMSCOR.
Although I've been shooting recreationally for 20+ years, I'm no expert or even a crack shot but I do OK. I own two other 1911 pistols: A Rock Island Tactical and a Springfield Loaded in SS. I'm not one of those guys that can really tell tiny differences in one trigger to another but the trigger on the Raptor seemed fairly light and short in pull. Thats the good news. The bad news is although the reset was short, getting there was creeky and sticky in feel. I'm hoping more break-in time and some better lube might fix this.
I liked the scales machined into the front of the grip. Secure in feel without being abrasive. The grips felt good and the more I look at them the more likely I'll keep them (big fan of VZ grips!).
Now the bad news: At first the factory supplied black 8-round magazine would not work at all. The gun would jam every other shot. So I put it aside and tried out the other mags I brought that I knew worked fine in my other pistols. The Chip McCormick mag would not work at all: couldn't even get the first round to chamber from it. Also had some similar problems with the Mec Gar although not as much. The others worked fine.
Otherwise the Raptor shot good. I was shooting at distances of 10 to 15 yards. My accuracy was not great, just ok. I'm sure once I get more comfortable with it and the pistol gets a bit more break-in rounds through it my groups will tighten up. The Raptor feels good in my hands and points well for me. I'm more accurate with my Springfield but that's only because I'm more comfortable with it and it's well broken in.
A good start for the Raptor.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:57 PM   #2
Super Moderator

It's good to hear that you finally got to shoot your new Raptor. I'm a little surprised you couldn't get a single round to chamber using the factory magazine. I'd suggest you give Kimbers customer service and discuss the problem with them, something is not right.

Customer Service
Toll-Free: (888) 243-4522
Hours: MF, 9 a.m.7 p.m. Eastern
JC45 likes this.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:27 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Ya know, after reading your pre range report, I think I talk to the shop where you bought it. Sounds to me like it wasn't new, and may have been returned because of defects.
Marshall likes this.

Ohio Chl holder
NRA member
Old age isn't for sissy's
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2014, 09:35 PM   #4

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
It's good to hear that you finally got to shoot your new Raptor. I'm a little surprised you couldn't get a single round to chamber using the factory magazine. I'd suggest you give Kimbers customer service and discuss the problem with them, something is not right.

Customer Service
Toll-Free: (888) 243-4522
Hours: MF, 9 a.m.7 p.m. Eastern
I agree with Chuck. Something just isn't right with that pistol.
Chuck43 and JC45 like this.

Mario Andretti
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:55 PM   #5

I'm not quite ready to panic yet. I'll give it another good cleaning and some more oil and take it to the range for another run when I get the time.
Since it worked well with certain magazines (the Colt, SS Kimber (not the OE mag), and strangely enough, the AMSCOR from my RIA - and who knows who made that one) I'll use those mags next trip and just focus on the trigger feel and some more break-in time. I was pretty accurate with the Raptor when I relaxed and didn't think about if it would jam or not.
If I had to guess the folks at Kimber would probably hang up on me if I were to call them with this and tell them I only have 150 rounds through it!
Thanks for all the advise and help.
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:58 AM   #6

Why would they balk to help you? You can't get certain mags to chamber a round would not directly be related to break in. Something may need looking at if that finicky. Call them.

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - ANJRPC - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
bhunted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 04:45 PM   #7

Today I cleaned the Raptor from it's first range trip. Nothing unusual looking inside. Paid particular attention to spray a tiny amount of Rem oil around and behind the trigger besides the usual oiling of the insides and rails (Tetra oil).
I cycled some snap caps through it to work the trigger after cleaning & oiling and it feels a bit smoother, especially on reset. Still not like the trigger on my Springfield but an improvement from yesterday for sure. Something weird about that Chip McCormick Power Mag that this Kimber doesn't like. I couldn't even get it to load or cycle snap caps by hand. It wouldn't function with live ammo yesterday at all.
Planning the next range trip for maybe sometime next week. If I can get up to at least a total round count of 300+ and still have problems I'll give Kimber a call as many have suggested.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:06 PM   #8

Finally made it to the range to shoot the Raptor for an hour today. Much better than last time. I fired about 150 rounds of Federal and Blazer (brass) FMJ with only one jam; one round failed to load all the way into the chamber from a stainless steel Kimber 8-round magazine (not the one it came with).
Still a bit sticky trying to find/feel for the reset but better than last time. Another good cleaning and oiling and some more rounds and I think this pistol just might wear-in to become a nice plinker after all.
Now that It seems to be working properly I think Im ready to show it off to my shooting buddies.
Happy holidays everyone.
Chuck43 and Marshall like this.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:23 PM   #9

Originally Posted by 1trickpony View Post
Finally made it to the range to shoot the Raptor for an hour today. Much better than last time. I fired about 150 rounds of Federal and Blazer (brass) FMJ with only one jam; one round failed to load all the way into the chamber from a stainless steel Kimber 8-round magazine (not the one it came with).
Still a bit sticky trying to find/feel for the reset but better than last time. Another good cleaning and oiling and some more rounds and I think this pistol just might wear-in to become a nice plinker after all.
Now that It seems to be working properly I think Im ready to show it off to my shooting buddies.
Happy holidays everyone.
Shooting buddies will be envious....
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:47 PM   #10
Super Moderator

A little time and patience will payoff in no time, keep putting rounds through, keep it clean and well lubed.