Kimber Frame Failures - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber 1911 Forum

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2014, 09:20 AM   #1

Kimber Frame Failures

Has anyone experienced a frame failure on a Kimber Pro CDP? I had a 5mm chunk of the frame come out of the right hand side forward of the Magazine Catch and aft of the Trigger Guard. The chunk of frame and Magazine Catch Lock disappeared. I sent the remains of the pistol back to Kimber. Their conclusion was that it was un-repairable, no suprise there. The real surprise was than they would not replace the frame under warranty. They said my Recoil Spring was 'worn out, dead' and induced the failure?!?!?! For $468.00 or so I can have a new frame. Not sure I want another that is this fragile and un-warranted. Kimber recommends replacing the Recoil Spring every 800 rounds. Have a Glock Model 30. Glock recommends replacing the Recoil Spring every 5,000 rounds. Glock is getting a good reputation for backing their products. Hate to leave the 1911 world, but damn! Any ideas or comments?
KimberGoneGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-24-2014, 09:35 AM   #2

Maybe you answered your own question...you should just stick with your Glock!
Chuck43 likes this.
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:37 AM   #3

Originally Posted by KimberGoneGlock View Post
Has anyone experienced a frame failure on a Kimber Pro CDP? I had a 5mm chunk of the frame come out of the right hand side forward of the Magazine Catch and aft of the Trigger Guard. The chunk of frame and Magazine Catch Lock disappeared. I sent the remains of the pistol back to Kimber. Their conclusion was that it was un-repairable, no suprise there. The real surprise was than they would not replace the frame under warranty. They said my Recoil Spring was 'worn out, dead' and induced the failure?!?!?! For $468.00 or so I can have a new frame. Not sure I want another that is this fragile and un-warranted. Kimber recommends replacing the Recoil Spring every 800 rounds. Have a Glock Model 30. Glock recommends replacing the Recoil Spring every 5,000 rounds. Glock is getting a good reputation for backing their products. Hate to leave the 1911 world, but damn! Any ideas or comments?
How many rounds did you have on that recoil spring?
maansmit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2014, 10:07 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illiniois KimberGoneGlock though it sounds like you're going to be leaving us for a Glock forum. If you scroll down to the bottom of any page here you will find 2 Glock forums that are owned by the same people that bring you Kimber Talk.

I'm sorry to hear about your CDP Pro, I have a CDP Ultra in my collection and think they're great guns. Following the instructions about cleaning, lubing and changing springs at the specified intervals is part of the gun owners responsibility. The CDP like many in the Kimber line come with a steel slide and an aluminum frame, the purpose of the recoil spring is to keep the slide from beating the frame to death. I keep a shot book for my guns and change the springs at the recommended intervals, l have one gun approaching 20,000 rounds and the frame still looks like new. I'm sorry but I don't think your problem is Kimbers responsibility. If you bought a new car and neglected to change the oil at the recommended intervals would you expect the mfg. to give you a new engine when the old one blew?
Old 10-24-2014, 02:34 PM   #5

A look at the impact surfaces of the frame and slide would tell me about recoil spring issues. It would require a lot of shooting and the damage would originate there. The are that you have damage is a no stress area for recoil. That is a flaw in the raw forging I will bet before the frame was milled. Kimber should replace the frame and pass the money loss to the provider of the forging. Their excuse is bullshit.
Nellybelle and Insta-Gator like this.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:37 PM   #6

Go further up the food chain. The customer service reps are just feeding you the standard response. From my experience they are not in Yonkers but in Montana. I would want to speak to the supervisor of the custom shop in Yonkers.

Unfortunately the uninformed CS reps do much to damage a company image.
Insta-Gator likes this.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:21 PM   #7

I think a lot has to be assumed from your post. You don't mention if the rep asked you how many rounds had been fired. We have to assume they did. We also have to assume you know how many were fired. What is that number? I am assuming it has to be considerable more than 800 for Kimber to want to "pass" this issue back to you. What was the rest of the maintenance like? What kind of rounds were you using? Was there no indications prior to the failure? It would seem to me the recoil spring going dead would translate to a greater amount of felt recoil. Also, as suggested, there almost had to be visible frame strikes and slide strikes, (flattened spots that could be seen when cleaning the weapon). Did you not see or feel anything different?
As Mike suggests, you may be able to take your issue further but I would think, in asking for help, you may wish to fill in some of the blanks. Many people here have dealt with the factory on some pretty delicate issues. Their experiences may be very valuable.

If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never has been and never will be. T Jefferson

Last edited by pbsdaddy; 10-24-2014 at 05:24 PM.
pbsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:19 PM   #8

Well, spring issue or no spring issue, I think it sucks that they would not cover this under warranty. IMO, there is no function of the firearm that should cause pieces to break off, ever.
Marshall and JCBnPHX like this.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:26 PM   #9

"The recoil spring wore out after 800 rounds ???
I put over 2200 on both of my PC2's before changing them and they still shot fine up to that point..
To say I'm disappointed in Kimber CS is putting it lightly but we don't know what really happened to the frame either..
Insta-Gator likes this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 03:49 PM   #10
Banned

My DW ECO officer 1911 has a 15,000 replacement interval for the recoil spring. How come Kimber's is only 800?
Fegelein is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page
kimber 1911 failures

kimber aluminum frame life

kimber failures

kimber frame

kimber1911 aluminum frame
refinish kimber aluminum frame
replacing the frame on a kimber
spring life 1911 kimber alum frame
Click on a term to search for related topics.